"One More Time" similarities to Disney's "The Rescuers" main title

Chris

Walt Disney Productions' 1977 animated film "The Rescuers" had a haunting song for its main title sequence called "The Journey". Whenever I hear it, it reminds me of the verses of Carpenters' 1976 "One More Time". Has anyone else noticed the similarities between the two songs? You can hear it particularly :25 seconds in. They can almost be sung in counterpoint to each other. Another interesting connection is the state of Louisiana. We know that in "One More Time" Karen sings about memories of "going way down south to Louisiana" and "Baton Rouge". Much of the "The Rescuers" takes place in the swamps of Louisiana.
Perhaps it's more the tone and mood of the two pieces than anything that reminds me of the other. And wasn't there a rumor or report in the late 70's that the Carpenters had been asked to do the music for a Disney film? It would have been great to hear their take on scoring and recording for Disney. Have a listen to 'The Journey':

Last edited:
According to Fan Club Newsletter #56, Richard was actually approached to write the songs for this film, but reluctantly turned down the offer. Here is the actual quote:

"If you read in a recent movie magazine that Karen and Richard were considering doing a Disney movie, sorry to say, the information is incorrect. They have no plans to do a movie in the near future. Richard was asked to write the music for the recently released Disney film The Rescuers, but other commitments at that time resulted in a reluctant negative answer."

By the way, all the newsletters are still available using the Wayback Machine powered by archive.org. Use the following link and peruse them to your heart's content.

Link: Carpenters Fan Club Newsletters

According to Fan Club Newsletter #56, Richard was actually approached to write the songs for this film, but reluctantly turned down the offer.

Ah, yes.. the newsletter! That's where I read it. Thank you, NowhereMan!

I hear the similarities and can almost hear a Carpenters iteration in my head; many thanks for sharing this.

Glad you heard something there, too. I think it would have been great had they been a part of it. Their style and Karen's voice would have fit very well for that film.

Karen would have done an absolutely spectacular job on "Someone's Waiting For You." the big song from this movie. ("The Rescuers" holds a special place in my heart. It was the first movie I remember seeing in the movie theater. I was 5 when it came out.)

Back
Top Bottom