Carpenters Concert Schedule

I'm having an "If only" moment seeing that they were booked for a week-long engagement at the Westchester Premier Theatre (NY) in August 1975. This venue was less than five miles from my house, but I wasn't a Carpenters fan at the time. Its one of those things that makes me wish I could do my life over. As the man says in It's a Wonderful Life: "Youth is wasted on all the wrong people!"

At the same time, I wonder if the Westchester Premier Theatre dates even came off. By late August, Karen was weeks away from being hospitalized. If they did perform, I imagine Karen wasn't looking very good.

^^Thanks, Harry.
This is one of my favorite full performances of Only Yesterday (both verses complete).
That has to be a difficult song to perform live.
Also, nice to hear Richard (4:15) say this:
"It's nice to be back out on the road....it's nice to be back performing."

I love this live version. Karen’s voice sounds so deep and rich. The higher vocals (I’m assuming are the guys?) kinda pale in comparison to Karen’s rich solid vocals. Even on a live version she is magical in her phrasing.

I had posted that one a year or so ago, and then when I listened to it posting it this morning, it was really running slow. Somewhere in a transfer from tape, some machine was running slow.

Anyway, I was appalled when I listened to it and decided to re-do it and get it up to proper speed. This time I tacked on the verbal banter afterward.

I had posted that one a year or so ago, and then when I listened to it posting it this morning, it was really running slow. Somewhere in a transfer from tape, some machine was running slow.

Anyway, I was appalled when I listened to it and decided to re-do it and get it up to proper speed. This time I tacked on the verbal banter afterward.
I thought something was diffferent, I like the banter...you know I have to ask with the cueing of the next song at the end...is there more? Ha

Love the verbal banter! Thanks for that!

I attended the October 24 1973 concert in London, Ontario with my Dad. It was the city arena (seats about 5,000) and we had floor seats about 20 rows back. It was my first live concert and a total surprise till we pulled up to parking lot. It wasn't my Dad's type of music (old country & western was) but he and Mom knew how much I would appreciate it after looking after her through a major illness the year before. I only remember floating on every note...

I was at the 1971 and 1973 concerts in Nashville and my wife remembers seeing them at the University of Missouri in 1972. I did see Richard in 1998 in Nashville along with John Bettis, Joe Osborn, and James Griffin (Singing For All We Know). JG, of bread, was on of the cowriters. The 71 concert was great and the 73 (Brown Album tour) was all the hits of course. Karen's voice was perfect.
I would like another live concert album for the 50th.

This set of dates, from 1973, is absolutely punishing. 17 days back to back, with the travel as well. There's absolutely no reason why they should have been made to do this, other than management and booking agents were making a lot of money off the back of it. The label should have stepped in and stopped this. I'm actually surprised they didn't burn out much sooner than they did.

Nov. 9th & 10th – Chicago, Illinois, Arie Crown Theater
Nov. 11th – Rockford. Illinois, Rock vE1lsy College
Nov. 12th – Lahkosh, Wisconsin, Wisconsin State University
Nov. 13th – Macomb. Illinois, Western III University
Nov. 14th – Columbus. Ohio, Mershon Auditorium
Nov. 15th – Louisville, Kentucky, Convention Center
Nov. 16th – St. Louis, Missouri, Kiel Opera House
Nov. 17th – Nashville, Tennessee, Auditorium
Nov. 18th – Memphis, Tennessee, Mid South College
Nov. 19th – Starkville, Mississippi, Mississippi State University
Nov. 20th Jackson, Mississippi, Coliseum
Nov. 21st Moblie, Alabama, Municipal Auditorium
Nov. 22nd Macon, Georgia, Coliseum
Nov. 23rd Savannah, Georgia, Convention Center
Nov. 24th Orlando, Florida, Sports Stadium
Nov. 25th St. Petersburg, Florida, Bayfront Center
Some of these shows and tours didn’t eventuate, as you’d be aware.

I was lucky to see them 6 times in concert.
1. Bakersfield, Ca. 5/23. I believe Carl Ballentine opened, from tv show McHale’s Navy-comedy magic.
2. Hollywood Bowl 9/6/74 Gilbert O’Sullivan Opening act. Best of all shows. First time to hear Warsaw Concerto.
3. Sahara Tahoe 1/75 Skiles & Henderson comedy skits.
4. Sahara Tahoe 1/76 same opening act. Richard drives motor cycle on stage for Leader of the Pack. Karen with giant falsies on.
5. Selland Arena 5/29/76. Helen Reddy opening act. Fund raiser, Jerry Brown for president.
6. The Terrace Theater @CSLB Christmas Concert
12/3/78. Cal State Long Beach Choir opening and on stage during their portion of the show as well. Not enough though.
Then Richard's Christmas concert in Garden Grove....

I was lucky to see them 6 times in concert.
1. Bakersfield, Ca. 5/23. I believe Carl Ballentine opened, from tv show McHale’s Navy-comedy magic.
2. Hollywood Bowl 9/6/74 Gilbert O’Sullivan Opening act. Best of all shows. First time to hear Warsaw Concerto.
3. Sahara Tahoe 1/75 Skiles & Henderson comedy skits.
4. Sahara Tahoe 1/76 same opening act. Richard drives motor cycle on stage for Leader of the Pack. Karen with giant falsies on.
5. Selland Arena 5/29/76. Helen Reddy opening act. Fund raiser, Jerry Brown for president.
6. The Terrace Theater @CSLB Christmas Concert
12/3/78. Cal State Long Beach Choir opening and on stage during their portion of the show as well. Not enough though.
Then Richard's Christmas concert in Garden Grove....

Wow that is impressive and I'm envious. Did you have any fond memories of any of those concert in particular? What was it like to have attended the Winter Festival Long Beach Christmas Concert at The Terrace Theater? There is audio on u tube but it must have been surreal to hear MCD live.

It was exciting, especially since it had been a couple of years since I last saw them perform. Karen wore a light blue winter gown with feathers on the sleeves and neckline. There was a polite gasp from the crowd though when she walked out on stage at maybe 90lbs. Her wrists were so tiny, but she sounded better than ever. I recorded it too, but the audio is really bad. I have know idea where’s that cassette is anymore.
The Hollywood Bowl Concert was the best with 20,000 seats and a full symphony orchestra behind them. I remember hearing a playback of GDBY2LV from backstage as we were leaving the walkway to the parking lots. The first show was the most exciting since it was the first time being in the same auditorium as them. That’s when Karen brought local kids on stage to perform “Sing” with them in the show.

I know one who is about 56 now. His name is Rick, my friends nephew. They chose his grade school choir from Jefferson Elementary to do “Sing” They got to rehearse during the afternoon the day of the concert here.

I need to clarify something from my earlier post, they were supporting the album "Now and Then" not "Yesterday Once More" as I mentioned above. They used quite a bit of oldies material from the "Now and Then" LP in that Ak-Sar-Ben show that I referred to. The oldies set from that concert was most similar to the "Live in Japan" CD. Sorry for the mix up there's so much stuff that went on that I have a hard time keeping it all straight (Old age I guess).
Whenever any reference is made to Karen’s and Richard’s performance(s) of “Yesterday Once More”, I easily recall having learned that during one of several interviews that Richard Carpenter had given, since Karen’s passing, he had opined his quite “fond” recollection of Karen’s performance of “Yesterday Once More.” . . . Respectfully, Michael

Which brings up the "Carpenters Anomaly":

To date, no-one who sang in the children's choirs all over the world has ever come forth to claim that they did that. Where are all of those former kids?
This blog post indicates that there is at least one person willing to admit to it.

Blast From The Past

Back in 1973, when I was in the sixth grade, The Carpenters had a hit song that charted at #3. The song was "Sing." The song had a children's chorus. When The Carpenters toured in 1973, they had a tourdate in Rexburg, Idaho at Ricks College. Their manager scouted ahead to all of the cities where they were to play and made contact with the district music teachers to find the best sixth grade class to sing with the group. My sixth grade class at Lincoln Elementary School was selected.

We practiced for weeks. The Carpenters were doing two performances back to back so they split our sixth grade class in two equal halves. I was selected to be in the late show. Because I was the shortest kid in our class, I was put on the end. When we marched out on stage, the lights were bright and we were excited. The song started and we sang. During her vocals, Karen came over and stood next to me. crouched down and put her arm around me and sang to me. I was the only one in our group that Karen sang to.

I was in love. We were all in love.
Source: Bascombe Mania: Singing with Karen and Richard

I saw one of the two nights on July 14-15th @ Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio. I also saw the May 8th, 1976 @ Richfield Coliseum, Richfield, Ohio, but it’s never listed, despite my suggestions for updating the list.

Back
Top Bottom