🎵 AotW Classics Herb Alpert & The Tijuana Brass FOURSIDER (SP-3521)

How would you rate FOURSIDER as a compilation?

• ***** Perfect

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • **** Very Good

Votes: 10 62.5%
  • *** Good

Votes: 6 37.5%
  • ** Poor

• * Extremely Poor

• I've never heard of it

• Total voters
Just re-reading over this thread. I think I missed the post when somebody posted the OBI-type strip of paper that had the song titles on it. After seeing that, it jogged my memory - now I remember that my copy did have the titles on the strip like that. Unfortunately I didn't save it.

I still remember seeing Foursider in our local variety store (we had started carrying LPs, but didn't have it yet) and looking at the song titles and being stunned that there was a new entry, "Last Tango in Paris," included. I bought the set immediately and was preparing to be disappointed that LTIP was just an old song with a different name. Who knew that Herb's recording story was only about 1/4 played out by that time and he'd still be going strong 45 years later!

Last edited:
Listen to this little sample. It's the first few seconds of Tijuana Taxi from the GREATEST HITS CD, right channel only. The second half is the same section, right channel only from the FOURSIDER LP.

https://picosong.com/wJudj/

I had the vinyl of Herb's foursider and I did notice Tijuana taxi sounded a bit different than usual at that time I was so used to hearing everything bassy coming from the left channel at the time I didn't care much for that version but that was my fickle youthdom at the time now I own the CD foursider and that version has the regular mix so it looks like I foolishly let go of another vinyl rarity for the sake of the so called " Perfect sound forever" Boy What a Dummy I was"

Which one of those "Taxi's" compares closest to the more recent releases from Shout and Herb Alpert Presents? I've never had the Foursider CD, so I haven't heard that mix on any kind of system in decades.

It's kind of funny, I always thought the Greatest Hits CD was a pretty good mastering job but now I'm wondering. Need to have a little listening session I guess.

I find the GREATEST HITS to sound really good too, and what I'm posting about here is the old vinyl FOURSIDER. The CD on Taxi sounds closer to the CD of GREATEST HITS.

The first one, posted above, is what you'd get on the widely separated GREATEST HITS.

My Foursider is too old--too much wear. (Played it on crap equipment back in the day.) The CDs are long gone, stored away, and I never ripped it if I owned it.

It's kind of funny, I always thought the Greatest Hits CD was a pretty good mastering job but now I'm wondering. Need to have a little listening session I guess.
The first (and only?) CD release of Greatest Hits sounds identical to the A&M Audiophile Series release of the same record (beyond the digital vs. analog thing). It sounds like the same master was used, and the same EQ.

the widely separated GREATEST HITS

I remember quite often, when "stereo" first entered my life, I found it kind of fascinating to briefly crank the balance all the way to one side and listen to the band with just the rhythm section.

I remember quite often, when "stereo" first entered my life, I found it kind of fascinating to briefly crank the balance all the way to one side and listen to the band with just the rhythm section.
I used to do the same thing too it was the same with some of the Beatles stereo albums

I find the GREATEST HITS to sound really good too, and what I'm posting about here is the old vinyl FOURSIDER. The CD on Taxi sounds closer to the CD of GREATEST HITS.

The first one, posted above, is what you'd get on the widely separated GREATEST HITS.
Agree The Greatest Hits CD was very well mastered and it was one of my first CDs I ever bought and I still have it in pristine condition I first bought it in 1988 so I assume it is a Pre polygram era release the copyright on the case reads 1985

Funny. Before I actually ever bought any of those Beatles records decades ago, I always thought it was "stupid" that they put the vocals in one channel and music on the other. Only after I read more about them did I realize that it was never intended to be released as stereo--it was only recorded as a very early and crude form of "multitrack" where they would mix the two channels down into mono.

Funny. Before I actually ever bought any of those Beatles records decades ago, I always thought it was "stupid" that they put the vocals in one channel and music on the other. Only after I read more about them did I realize that it was never intended to be released as stereo--it was only recorded as a very early and crude form of "multitrack" where they would mix the two channels down into mono.
I remember when I read about that and I remember they left the Stereo versions to the EMI engineers while they focused on mono

Back
Top Bottom