Other Female Singers

To me, Linda Ronstadt is a national treasure because not just her talent but also that she's performed in so many genres.
Basia has already been mentioned, and I still like her Time & Tide album very much.
My favorite alto for the last few years has been Lauren Tally -- probably not well known here.
Some jazz singers I only recently discovered on Pandora and I'm looking forward to hearing more are Heather Rigdon (haven't decided yet if it's just the material I've heard so far that appeals to me) and Renee Olstead.

Australian, Liv Maessen, had her first big hit here the same year that Karen and Richard hit with “Close to You”. Liv’s “Knock, Knock! Who’s there?” hit Number 2 nationally in 1970 and stayed on the charts for seven months. (Mary Hopkins’ version hit Number 5 the same year). As you can hear, like Karen, Liv Maessen could hit all the low notes strong and clear, (although her voice was nothing like Karen’s). I posted Liv’s version of “Little Green Apples” a few months ago.

If you missed CBS Sunday Morning with Linda Ronstadt, here it is:

Thank you for posting this, I was so moved watching it. You can see her disease has progressed somewhat in the last few years. I always thought she had it all: she was gorgeous, she had a beautiful voice and came across as a genuinely lovely person, all wrapped up in one. Of her final shows she says “I was just yelling. I didn’t want to charge people for that”. Classy lady.

My favourite song of hers has always been the duet she did with Aaron Neville. Goosebumps every time. And this version is sung live.

Last edited:
I am a fan of the late Andrew Gold and really enjoy his and Linda Ronstadts work together.There is a clip of them performing When will I be loved on youtube.I love the raw energy on that one.

I have Aaron Neville’s first album on CD, which I really enjoy - the one from 1967, with “Tell It Like it Is” on it. I especially used to like Andrew Gold when I was a kid. He’s very ‘pop’! About as commercial as you can get! I used to, and still do, like all the obvious, well-known songs - “Lonely Boy”, “Thankyou for Being a Friend”, “Never Let her Slip Away” and “That’s Why I Love You”. I also used to really like his song that Captain and Tennille did - “I’m On My Way”. Linda Ronstadt chose a lot of good songs to record over the years, in that particular genre. She’s not a personal favourite, but she’s certainly a familiar voice. She was on the radio all the time in the 70s and 80s. Actually, I did buy two of her singles when they came out - “Blue Bayou” and “Alison” - I liked the originals by Roy Orbison and Elvis Costello, too. And I did like “You’re No Good”, which Andrew Gold played almost all instruments on.

I've just got back home and unwrapped my LP copy of Lana Del Rey's album "Lust For Life". There's something about her voice that's haunting.

Anyway, there's an article up about how this song "Groupie Love" from the album is a modern-day version of the Carpenters "Superstar" !

See what you think, it does have the same subject matter ect.

I've just got back home and unwrapped my LP copy of Lana Del Rey's album "Lust For Life". There's something about her voice that's haunting.

Anyway, there's an article up about how this song "Groupie Love" from the album is a modern-day version of the Carpenters "Superstar" !

See what you think, it does have the same subject matter ect.

Thanks for posting, Simon. This is a really interesting track. I need to listen to more Lana Del Rey, as I’ve never given her work much attention, though I do like what I’ve heard. And you’re right, her voice does have a haunting quality. Which of her albums would you recommend?

^^Thanks for posting Simon but after listening to it I had to immediately put on Solitaire to elevate my mood!

This made me chuckle! :laugh:

Thanks for posting, Simon. This is a really interesting track. I need to listen to more Lana Del Rey, as I’ve never given her work much attention, though I do like what I’ve heard. And you’re right, her voice does have a haunting quality. Which of her albums would you recommend?

This made me chuckle! :laugh:

I've just started getting into her music myself, I've only got her "Lust For Life" album so far but it's quite interesting and I am really enjoying it so will be venturing futher into her albums. Despite my young age it's not really the type of music I usually listen to.

Tracks from across her albums I'd recommend you listen to are:
-Video Games
-Young And Beautiful
-Blue Velvet
-Get Free
-Love

There's a retro quality to her that I really dig, both in her voice, sound and looks. She's very aesthetic. It's all very 1950/60's Americana. The first three tracks that I've listed above are very rich sounding with strings combined with a modern sound, it's really interesting and she's quite an anomalous artist compared to her peers, she's old fashioned yet cool.

I've just started getting into her music myself, I've only got her "Lust For Life" album so far but it's quite interesting and I am really enjoying it so will be venturing futher into her albums. Despite my young age it's not really the type of music I usually listen to.

Tracks from across her albums I'd recommend you listen to are:
-Video Games
-Young And Beautiful
-Blue Velvet
-Get Free
-Love

There's a retro quality to her that I really dig, both in her voice, sound and looks. She's very aesthetic. It's all very 1950/60's Americana. The first three tracks that I've listed above are very rich sounding with strings combined with a modern sound, it's really interesting and she's quite an anomalous artist compared to her peers, she's old fashioned yet cool.

Thanks, Simon :) I’ve added those songs to a playlist so I’ll have a good listen later today.

Back
Top Bottom