Anyone read this?

I thought that, bless him. Though interesting, I found the whole article to be very sad.

This bit in particular got me:

Their popularity had dipped but if Karen were alive they would still be recording today. Or that's how Richard sees it. "We'd be making more albums, spend more time in the studio and do an occasional tour. Summer tours, a week per venue, every other year a UK tour." It sounds so planned and present tense, it's as if Richard has never fully adjusted to what actually happened.

This bit riled me:

Much has been written and hinted at about the disturbing closeness of their brother-sister relationship.

Our press (British) can be notoriously vile and I’ve read a few comments of this nature in different articles. I personally think it’s great that K&R we’re so close and see nothing disturbing about it. They created magic together and doubtless the fact they got on so well was one of the reasons that could happen.

Back on topic though, an interesting read.
‘every other year a UK tour’ .......in my dreams!!

^^The banner photograph at the top of this article is one I've not seen before. It's wonderful that 36 years after her death, Karen is still being mentioned in publications and on websites. Especially for her drumming skills.:) Thanks for the post!

Last edited:
Extracted from this article:
Why Show Biz Icons Self-Destruct
Glenn Berger, PhD,

In many artists I've worked with, I've witnessed a profound fragility that leads me to call them angels. Karen Carpenter was one. She suffered from Anorexia. Her body was fading away, but when she sang, the heavens opened. She had been given wings - an incredible voice -- in exchange for a deep vulnerability.

I believe angels like Ms. Carpenter have a little less of a psychic immune system than everyone else. She didn't quite fit in this world, and felt the pain a little more acutely than the rest.

People could be cruel to angels like Karen. I saw her collapse in despair when Paul Simon told her that her new material was "terrible," and a "big mistake." Sometimes, even other tortured artists can obliviously hurt the most delicate among us.

Despite her woundedness, or maybe because of it, she opened her heart all the way, and in so doing touched, and brought solace to, the hurt, empty, angel residing in each of our secret hearts.

Many of our great works of art wouldn't have been created if these artists didn't suffer, and our world would be impoverished for it. Their pain is our gain. Their madness heals us. And so, they deserve our gratitude for the sacrifices they make, and our compassion for the pain they endure. Karen couldn't overcome her illness and died at 32.

In honor of all the artists we have lost, let's be kinder to those who suffer, including yourself, because you never know - you might be in the presence of an angel.

That's a Cover?: "Superstar" (The Carpenters / Delaney & Bonnie) - Cover Me
Never heard before that Richard's changing of "sleep" to "be" opened up the song to more artists recording it. Interesting this article came out March 1st as did the previous one I linked to. Perhaps marking her birthday or CarpenterS 50th? Just goes to show people who are truly talented as Karen and Richard were will never be forgotten.

I believe in an interview in Rolling Stone Magazine Bonnie Bramlet was furious at the word change and berated Karen for ruining her song. I think she even made a threat if she were to meet Karen in person. Quite sad. She should just shut up and enjoy the huge royalty checks as a result of the brilliance in Richard’s keen ear. Leon liked it anyway. So many were quick to criticize,or make fun of, like Bette Midler. It became part of her act. The Carpenters image then was an easy target. Another reason it wasn’t easy to be an outspoken fan. People were just plain mean.

^^I posted a video to this site a while back where Bonnie Bramlet is performing Superstar live and Leon Russell is in the audience looking bored. He probably wished it was Karen up there. The word change on the song was a stroke of brilliance as it turned out. Making the song acceptable to Top 40 radio play. When it came to Midler concerning the song, Karen had the last word; "The gold record is on OUR wall" (maybe not an exact quote, but close enough).

Last edited:
Extracted from this article:
Why Show Biz Icons Self-Destruct
Glenn Berger, PhD,

In many artists I've worked with, I've witnessed a profound fragility that leads me to call them angels. Karen Carpenter was one. She suffered from Anorexia. Her body was fading away, but when she sang, the heavens opened. She had been given wings - an incredible voice -- in exchange for a deep vulnerability.

I believe angels like Ms. Carpenter have a little less of a psychic immune system than everyone else. She didn't quite fit in this world, and felt the pain a little more acutely than the rest.

People could be cruel to angels like Karen. I saw her collapse in despair when Paul Simon told her that her new material was "terrible," and a "big mistake." Sometimes, even other tortured artists can obliviously hurt the most delicate among us.

Despite her woundedness, or maybe because of it, she opened her heart all the way, and in so doing touched, and brought solace to, the hurt, empty, angel residing in each of our secret hearts.

Many of our great works of art wouldn't have been created if these artists didn't suffer, and our world would be impoverished for it. Their pain is our gain. Their madness heals us. And so, they deserve our gratitude for the sacrifices they make, and our compassion for the pain they endure. Karen couldn't overcome her illness and died at 32.

In honor of all the artists we have lost, let's be kinder to those who suffer, including yourself, because you never know - you might be in the presence of an angel.

This guy nails it!! Thanks for posting.:)

^^I posted a video to this site a while back where Bonnie Bramlet is performing Superstar live and Leon Russell is in the audience looking bored. He probably wished it was Karen up there. The word change on the song was a stroke of brilliance as it turned out. Making the song acceptable to Top 40 radio play. When it came to Midler concerning the song, Karen had the last word; "The gold record is on OUR wall" (maybe not an exact quote, but close enough).
Bonnie who???? (wink, wink) Can you say green with envy?

Her version is a great torch song and on her first and best album, The Divine Miss M. But not AM radio worthy at all. She made a friend for life of Johnny Carson after she performed it on the Tonight Show. Glad Richard was awake and tuned in that night. The rest is great history........
Simply Brilliant!!!!

I believe in an interview in Rolling Stone Magazine Bonnie Bramlet was furious at the word change and berated Karen for ruining her song. I think she even made a threat if she were to meet Karen in person. Quite sad. She should just shut up and enjoy the huge royalty checks as a result of the brilliance in Richard’s keen ear. Leon liked it anyway. So many were quick to criticize,or make fun of, like Bette Midler. It became part of her act. The Carpenters image then was an easy target. Another reason it wasn’t easy to be an outspoken fan. People were just plain mean.
I saw an interview, (I think it was posted on this site recently), where Bonnie Bramlett said that her pride had been hurt when she heard that Richard had changed the word. She also said that, later, she couldn’t believe that she had quibbled over Carpenters changing the word because having Carpenters record your song was a monumental thing. (Not her words, but that is what she meant).

15 March 2019
Orchestral makeovers in the chart: a new spin on greatest hits
"Greatest hits compilations have been a staple of the music industry for decades – indeed,
the biggest selling album of all time in the UK is Queen's first career retrospective.
They were the perfect opportunity for fans to own all the big songs in one 'easy to play,
wherever' format for the first time.
In the digital age, however, with zillions of hits available
to immediately stream or download, straight-up back catalogue collections don't have the same impact as everything is already out there. But the concept is far from over, and many pop acts have found new ways to pay tribute to their huge tracks, with an orchestral rejig now firmly established as a major trend."

More:
ttps://www.officialcharts.com/chart-news/orchestral-makeovers-in-the-chart-a-new-spin-on-greatest-hits__25823/

I noticed in the Brazilian guy's collection he has a copy of the Coleman book in paperback that says "Completed Revised and Updated" on the cover. Does anyone know anything about that? Was there a second edition published with additional material?

I have both the hardback and revised paperback edition, and one thing I noticed that was changed was in the hardback version, it's written that Tom Burris "Threw his wedding ring into Karen's casket" in the revised edition he "places his wedding ring..."

I have both the hardback and revised paperback edition, and one thing I noticed that was changed was in the hardback version, it's written that Tom Burris "Threw his wedding ring into Karen's casket" in the revised edition he "places his wedding ring..."

Dang! What a meticulous attention to detail you are, Mr. Reese, for noticing that one change in such a large book!

I wasn’t sure where to post this. I’m not sure whether it’s been shown on this site before. This is apparently part of a Carpenters press conference from the 1972 Australian tour.

Karen coming in with the finger snap at 0:34. Karen is obviously agitated in this. I love seeing her like this; no makeup but still attractive...she was a badass!!

^^Thanks for that article.
Excerpts:
"I think people overestimate her (Karen Carpenter) frailty and underestimate her strength."
---
"But as my book argues, there’s also something more to that musical longing.
I believe that the Carpenters’ music, which plays upon memories of the past, or openly longs for brighter worlds and futures filled with love, inspires recognition among those of us who have experienced displacement or alienation, either physically or metaphorically, from the places we call home, and the people we love
."
---

This is apparently part of a Carpenters press conference from the 1972 Australian tour.

I was just looking on Youtube at the interview of Karen and Richard filmed in Australia in 1972 that I included in this thread a few days ago and somebody has posted the following information in the 'comments' section. It gives interesting details of the '72 Australian tour. (I don't know how accurate they are - but the guy, 'Roy Didlock', sounds convincing enough).
roy didlock1 week ago (edited)
"This clip is part of the Australian arrival press conference in the press lounge at Sydney International Airport on May 7, 1972. The Carpenters had arrived about 8.30 that morning after flying in from Honolulu. The following day they began a 13 day, 2 shows per night 'residency" at the Sydney Chevron Hotel's legendary "Silver Spade Room". They made 2 TV appearances in Sydney on ATN7s "Bob Rogers Show" and the "Today" show. They then went on to do concerts in Adelaide(May 22), Melbourne(May 24,25),where "The Carpenters In Australia" concert TV special was taped. To Brisbane(May 27) and then back to Sydney before flying to Hong Kong. This would be the one and only time The Carpenters toured Australia, a second tour planned for November 5-17, 1977 was cancelled due to Karen's ill health."

Back
Top Bottom