Poll: Your Favorite Least Favorite Carpenters Track

Which Is Your Favorite Of These (3) Carpenters Tracks?

• Goofus 1976

Votes: 17 34.0%
  • Man Smart, Woman Smarter 1977

Votes: 11 22.0%
  • I Believe You 1978

Votes: 22 44.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Actually, I find it difficult to use the word "hate"
I almost like Man Smart, Woman Smarter...but, its flow is somewhat "clunky." (halting ?),
and it is an adventurous undertaking.
Here is Robert Palmer, and I like this:

I think Palmer's male voice has a "swagger" to it that makes the song a bit more palatable?

I think that Man Smart, Woman Smarter and Goofus would been better visual soundtracks than listening ones. Like for use on TV specials. That's why I prefer "I Believe You" of the three. It's pleasant on the ears overall.

Now we’ve cleared up the purpose of the poll, I Believe You has gone from having the least votes to being joint top and will probably end up with the most votes. Good call! :righton:

Here's another thought. What would of been your initial reaction to these three tracks (all) being included on the recent RPO release, or the other two being included on the (fantasy) RPO Vol. II? What would make them worthy of another chance, or is that totally off the wall........

John Adams (post #51) brings up the visual aspect.
We got some of that visually in the May 1978
Space Encounters
TV Special,
with Goofus and Man Smart, Woman Smarter featured there.

John Adams (post #51) brings up the visual aspect.
We got some of that visually in the May 1978
Space Encounters
TV Special,
with Goofus and Man Smart, Woman Smarter featured there.

Were they just admitting defeat with that special? I like Goofus, but you suffer from major image issues and you put those two songs on Tv to perform? Oh my god. It was like they wanted to be as unpopular as humanly possible.

The Carpenters version is the most "grand" of the three versions. But is bigger always better?

All three of these songs (in the poll) are "grand" in a different way than many of the Carpenters tracks. They seem to attract attention for various reasons, which would be fun to continue to discuss.
Good comment. Dorothy Moore’s version is more....straight forward or direct...I’m not sure if those are the right descriptions. Maybe hers comes across as more ‘honest’ for that reason - although Karen is totally believable and invested as well. Anyway, I love Carpenters’ version. “Is grand always better?” is a good question. Of course, it’s often not - but Carpenters did ‘grand’ exceptionally well. Clarifying or going back on my earlier statement - I think Karen’s reading does sound very honest and convincing. A magnificent recording.

Now we’ve cleared up the purpose of the poll, I Believe You has gone from having the least votes to being joint top and will probably end up with the most votes. Good call! :righton:

I guess the secret is out! I am being paid $1,000,000 by RC to promote "I Believe You" the single re-release coming out in 2019 for the Carpenters 50th anniversary. The gig is up. :) (And yes this is humour or humor!)

I choose to believe that Karen and Richard were following the beat of a different drummer....
which is why I prefer MSWS and Goofus
OVER
I Believe You.
Two of those three songs DO NOT play it safe,
the third (IBY) is, by-then, a tried-and-true formula.

I choose to believe that Karen and Richard were following the beat of a different drummer....
which is why I prefer MSWS and Goofus
OVER
I Believe You.
Two of those three songs DO NOT play it safe,
the third (IBY) is, by-then, a tried-and-true formula.

You're right, it takes guts to go out on a limb! "Passage" as a whole was not playing it safe. Sometimes artists and alike play it too safe and yes, IBY was safe, but majestic nonetheless.

Well, there are songs other than these that I "least like" less (er, whatever)...but of these three I like IBY most. But I've never hated MSWS with the passion some others seem to. It's different. Goofus, no comment.

Actually, I find it difficult to use the word "hate"
for any Carpenters' recording.
Out of their total output, there are perhaps TEN songs that I dislike to some extent.
I can't honestly use the word "hate." No matter what my inclination, I will say this:
Karen's voice is NEVER the real issue with any of the songs I dislike:
an example is I Believe You. She sings the song flawlessly, to be sure.
However, the overall arrangement and the lyric simply fail to spark my interest.
Goofus wins for me, if only due to its outstanding arrangement and vocal harmonies.
I almost like Man Smart, Woman Smarter...but, its flow is somewhat "clunky." (halting ?),
and it is an adventurous undertaking.
Here is Robert Palmer, and I like this:

I meant "hate" in the most relative way. I don't "hate" any of their songs (even much of Karen's solo stuff I can find something redeeming here and there). But in COMPARISON to the totality of Carpenters (together and solo) output, Goofus is one of the worst. Speaking of which, I'd put "Breaking Up is Hard to Do" on this list of "least favorites." That was the other "clunker" on AKOH, IMO.

^Funny, "Breaking Up" was on my list, but I had to use Goofus. Didn't want anyone to think I was picking on AKOH album, as there are a lot of folks who really like it. Actually I even considered the title track too......ouch!^

I meant "hate" in the most relative way. I don't "hate" any of their songs (even much of Karen's solo stuff I can find something redeeming here and there). But in COMPARISON to the totality of Carpenters (together and solo) output, Goofus is one of the worst. Speaking of which, I'd put "Breaking Up is Hard to Do" on this list of "least favorites." That was the other "clunker" on AKOH, IMO.
I agree with Breaking Up...another one I don't care for much....just wait till James gets here....:hide:...I remember him saying on here that AKOH is his favorite album....calling @Jamesj75 where are u? lol

^Funny, "Breaking Up" was on my list, but I had to use Goofus. Didn't want anyone to think I was picking on AKOH album, as there are a lot of folks who really like it. Actually I even considered the title track too......ouch!^

The title track? Noooooooo! :laugh: I really like AKOH. It’s just very cheery and I always find myself singing along. The album itself isn’t my favourite, but I do like listening to it when I’m need of something softer to chill out to.

The title track? Noooooooo! :laugh: I really like AKOH. It’s just very cheery and I always find myself singing along. The album itself isn’t my favourite, but I do like listening to it when I’m need of something softer to chill out to.

What spoils the title track for me is the double tracking of Karen's lead vocal. Richard did something similar with Love Me For What I Am, and in that instance it almost results in a phasing effect on Karen's vocal, because the two vocal takes are almost identical. For that reason, I rarely listen to it.

Another example of of a late 70s Carpenters recording where Richard’s arrangement is a virtual carbon copy. Karen even emulates his singing style on their version.

That's the point that just compounds the folly of choosing to record 'Man Smart Woman Smarter'. It wasn't a good song to start with, but they didn't even bring anything new to the table in covering it - instead, they pretty much copied Robert Palmer's version.

Here are two things regarding Goofus and Man Smart, Woman Smarter:
(1) Goofus is one of the very few songs to feature Wes Jacobs on Tuba.
Not often do we get that instrument throughout a Carpenters' recording.
(2) Man Smart, Woman Smarter employs a variety of instruments,
as there are twelve musicians credited on that song, including for
Tack Piano (RC and Tom Hensley) and Conga (King Erickson) and
Leon Russell on piano.

What spoils the title track for me is the double tracking of Karen's lead vocal. Richard did something similar with Love Me For What I Am, and in that instance it almost results in a phasing effect on Karen's vocal, because the two vocal takes are almost identical. For that reason, I rarely listen to it.

I can see what you mean here. I’d love to hear Love Me For What I Am, in particular, without this effect, as I’m not sure what the purpose of it was.

I particularly like the live version of A Kind of Hush from the Live at the Palladium album.

Here are two things regarding Goofus and Man Smart, Woman Smarter:
(1) Goofus is one of the very few songs to feature Wes Jacobs on Tuba.
Not often do we get that instrument throughout a Carpenters' recording.
(2) Man Smart, Woman Smarter employs a variety of instruments,
as there are twelve musicians credited on that song, including for
Tack Piano (RC and Tom Hensley) and Conga (King Erickson) and
Leon Russell on piano.

Oh my....I have always loved the Carpenters' version of the song, There's A Kind of Hush !

Good points Gary. There is a lot going on musically in both of those productions. They are interesting and almost novel, that being said, I guess I've gotten used to a Carpenters track being a bit more "subtle." :)

Concerning the song "Hush," I admit to having a fondness for it too!

Back
Top Bottom