Would You Buy 20 min Silent Vinyl?

I'd like to have that and rip it to the computer. I'll use Audacity to remove the noise, so it's really quiet... :D

I think only the hipsters who meditate and read Mashable are into that sort of thing. :laugh:

Otherwise, why put wear on my stylus and vacuum tubes even spinning that thing? :shrug: I have 12" singles from Casablanca that have a blank groove on the non-hit side.

I don't know if it's an urban legend or not, but I've been told there was a 45-rpm record once called "Five Minutes of Silence" that was on a lot of jukeboxes, so frustrated rock'n'roll haters could get a break from the music in restaurants and bars. Was this a real thing?

I never heard of it and didn't turn one up in a quick Discogs search but, I totally would believe it! I bet we could find it if we could find the specific title.

It turns out the idea for this "silent" album certainly is not new. A quick check on Discogs found this:

No Artist - The Nothing Record Album

Take a look at the listing--it's hilarious! The back cover of the jacket kind of hints as to what is inside. :laugh:

upload_2019-3-20_12-54-25.png

I would play my copy LOUD, as advertised. :agree:

There are 170 backers at $4837.00 raised way over the goal. I find this so funny that people would back this. :laugh:

Harry what happens if you use that software and you still end up with pops and ticks? Can people get a refund? lol I mean I wouldn’t be able to meditate? Lol

That's why I think only hipsters would "get it." But that kind of misses the point anyway, since they've moved onto the cassette--vinyl became too mainstream for them.

sad-hipster.png

Back in high school, I took a "Theory In Music" class where we had to compose a song and then orchestrate it. I did a real composition for the grade, but as a joke I wrote "The Quiet Symphony". It contained a multitude of rests, all scored out.

My band teacher buddies would get a kick out of that one. :D

Hey! Didn't Simon & Garfunkel do that? The Sound of Silence...... :D (Going into hiding now... :hide: )

I used to have - may still have - the RCOA (Record Club Of America) test record. It contained a bunch of tones and bursts that were supposed to aid in turntable maintenance, and on one side there was a large gap with no grooves at all, just a smooth vinyl surface that was supposed to check your anti-skate settings.

Needless to say, it was relatively silent.

R-1381948-1281174869.jpeg.jpg

We had a "test record" on the London label that had a similar anti-skate section. I don't know what my dad thought he would find by using this on a Magnavox console.

I have a different setup record that has specific tones to adjust anti-skating and other parameters, but it is anything but silent.

Maybe it's a remix of the Miles Davis album, In A Silent Way, especially the first track: "Shh/Peaceful".

I never heard of it and didn't turn one up in a quick Discogs search but, I totally would believe it! I bet we could find it if we could find the specific title.

It turns out the idea for this "silent" album certainly is not new. A quick check on Discogs found this:

No Artist - The Nothing Record Album

Take a look at the listing--it's hilarious! The back cover of the jacket kind of hints as to what is inside. :laugh:

upload_2019-3-20_12-54-25.png

I would play my copy LOUD, as advertised. :agree:
This is so funny...play loud :laugh: can be played with a sharp knitting tool. :laugh:
Some of you all's comments too are hilarious.

It's now up to 206 backers at almost $6,000 pledged...I'm still laughing at this...:laugh:
They should have used color vinyl hinting at this "smooth color will enhance your listening experience" :laugh:

So I guess you could say translucent is really a clear (colored type vinyl)
I've never actually heard of this before but being truthful...it all "sounds" very intriguing...like I want to "hear" what this sounds like. :nyah:
Sometimes after a long day at work this could help me unwind. :D
The best part is there is a hidden feature included with purchase. :agree:

I wonder if this thing is 33⅓ or 45 RPM? Or maybe they sell a version in each speed, as the 45 RPM would sound better.

Back
Top Bottom