Richard Carpenter's UK Promotional Tour 2019*

I find that Instagram page so odd and out of sync. Ever since December it seems like it's not actually Richard posting. His secretary gave me his schedule to pass on to fans and it ended this morning ! He's now going back to California. I think the Universal team must have taken over his Instagram which is quite sad even if it was only Colin posting originally (as a few suspected)
Hey Simon. Since you're the wizard in all things promotional...is there anything else to be aired...like that Ken Bruce interview?

Cheers mate.

Neil

I find that Instagram page so odd and out of sync. Ever since December it seems like it's not actually Richard posting. His secretary gave me his schedule to pass on to fans and it ended this morning ! He's now going back to California. I think the Universal team must have taken over his Instagram which is quite sad even if it was only Colin posting originally (as a few suspected)

I think it is him. He words the messages in the same way as he has always done. Kristi was with them on this trip, maybe she has some involvement with his account?

Hey Simon. Since you're the wizard in all things promotional...is there anything else to be aired...like that Ken Bruce interview?

Cheers mate.

Neil

There was a few radio interviews done yesterday like the Tracks Through My Years to be aired at a later date, no idea when though. His secretary mentioned him doing something (I presume more of those video interview things) for Universal.

I think it is him. He words the messages in the same way as he has always done. Kristi was with them on this trip, maybe she has some involvement with his account?

It's confused me why it's only now that the Instagram page has posted that he's here in London when he got here on Sunday and now has finished all the engagements. At the end it says "Looking forwards to sharing more about the orchestral album with the world"... Does that mean he's got more planned at another time?

And ! I've just got it.... Why's he here now? It's Mother's day on Sunday !

I've just watched the Lorraine Kelly interview on YouTube. I like her, she seemed to be a big fan, but she did most of the talking! Interestingly he mentioned the bonus track which isn't available on the UK version of the album.

My wife and I thought Richard looked very nervous on The One Show but relaxed a bit as it went on and his tribute to Scott Walker at the end was great.

He seemed totally at ease on the prerecorded Steve Wright radio interview where they all appeared to be having fun. Interesting to hear he thinks Rainy Days And Monday's benefits the most from the RPO treatment. I'd have to completely, though respectfully, disagree!

I've just watched the Lorraine Kelly interview on YouTube. I like her, she seemed to be a big fan, but she did most of the talking!

Yeah that’s her usual style, don’t let your guests get a word in. I think she was quieter than her usual self because Richard is a very staid, formal interviewee. She’s usually much worse.

My wife and I thought Richard looked very nervous on The One Show

When I watched The One Show with my mother, she actually asked if something was wrong with him.

Last edited:
Forgot to add Steve Wright said the A-Z of Carpenters will be repeated on Saturday 20th and 27th April on BBC radio 2. Didn't say a time.

Not to drudge up the past, or open a can of worms, but it's interesting that this has always been the case. He is SO thoughtful and serious about the work, that it comes off a certain way. He was always criticized for this and it's interesting to see it play out again at this stage. (I'm not accusing anyone of criticizing him). He is so mindful of what and how we wants to communicate that it can appear stiff, yet we know that underneath he is very grateful and personable. I personally like his style and can just sit and listen to him all day, but I can see why perception was what is was.

I didn't see that particular show (as I'm not UK based), but in the other promo spots I could see, I thought he came across fairly relaxed. He is a SERIOUS musical genius, so I think sometimes he speaks of details and in terms that non-musicians don't always understand. But I love how humble he comes across.

I didn't see what everyone else seems to be seeing at all in that interview. I thought it was one of his better interview performances; especially when he was sitting at the piano and they were throwing questions at him. He seem to have his talking points down, too. I was impressed.

I've just had an email back from the One Show asking if they can have a photo of me with my Carpenters records to show if they have enough time on air !!!

I didnt know about any of this and thanks to this forum I've just watched the one show.
I have your shot paused on the TV now Simon - great to see you!

My fave pic in my bedroom is the passage album that i opened up, cut in half and have in special album frames side by side with a slight gap in the middle - i love how it looks - NOTHING like your fantastic collection though.

I didnt know about any of this and thanks to this forum I've just watched the one show.
I have your shot paused on the TV now Simon - great to see you!

My fave pic in my bedroom is the passage album that i opened up, cut in half and have in special album frames side by side with a slight gap in the middle - i love how it looks - NOTHING like your fantastic collection though.

Thanks Robert ! That passage cover is funky !

I agree Simon, there's something modern, innovative and yeh 'funky' about it!
Possibly my favourite album cover , I've always also loved MIA, although I know some people aren't keen.

How about an original run of 1974 - 78 singles album cover ? The proper silver/gold would look great on your wall!

I just finished listening to the Steve Wright radio interview. Richard was so relaxed and jovial, and obviously enjoying himself. I only wish that the interview had been longer!

I agree Simon, there's something modern, innovative and yeh 'funky' about it!
Possibly my favourite album cover , I've always also loved MIA, although I know some people aren't keen.

How about an original run of 1974 - 78 singles album cover ? The proper silver/gold would look great on your wall!

That one is already up... They chopped it off the photo ! :eek:

Let's face it, Richard has never been an exciting interview. In this documentary, the charm & charisma that was "The Carpenters" enters the room at 17:26. Every bit a pop star:

I just finished listening to the Steve Wright radio interview. Richard was so relaxed and jovial, and obviously enjoying himself. I only wish that the interview had been longer!

I haven’t listened to this yet but for some reason he always seems to come across so much better in radio interviews than on TV. Maybe he’s just not that comfortable in front of the cameras.

^^The Steve Wright radio interview is on Google-Drive.
I am listening to the interview as I type this....
great interview. I must say, well done plus musical highlights played.
Richard is remarkable, to say the least (RC: "I don't carry a cellphone.")
I do hope we get more projects from him.
He is obviously overjoyed with this album....
I'll give it another spin !

Last edited:
The Steve Wright interview starts at about 6 mins 38 secs.

Steve Wright’s Big Guests - Richard Carpenter and David Wallace-Wells - BBC Sounds

You might need to register or sign in for it to work guys

Best wishes,
Rob

Thanks for this link, Richard sounds GREAT here, so much more relaxed than that TV show interview. Wonderful to hear him laughing and having a good time chatting about the music and the RPO experience.

I felt a bit...bad?....when Richard mentioned that the RPO changes on Rainy Days and Mondays was among his favorites, as I was not happy with them - that's the only song on the RPO album where I found the RPO a bit distracting and smoothed the song out a bit too much, taking away some of the melancholic edge.

But...I must now revisit this song, and listen again. I find myself wanting to like it :wink: and will see if I can hear what Richard hears. If not, then I'm happy Richard feels it achieved his artistic goal, regardless.

Not to drudge up the past, or open a can of worms, but it's interesting that this has always been the case. He is SO thoughtful and serious about the work, that it comes off a certain way. He was always criticized for this and it's interesting to see it play out again at this stage. (I'm not accusing anyone of criticizing him). He is so mindful of what and how we wants to communicate that it can appear stiff, yet we know that underneath he is very grateful and personable. I personally like his style and can just sit and listen to him all day, but I can see why perception was what is was.

Thank you for making these points, Proudofyou! You could almost say I'm proud of you...

In any case, I'm with you. I think Richard comes across as quite likable, enthusiastic, and humorous. I like his style, too. He is indeed wonky about music, but that's to be expected, even admired, in a music genius. During the Steve Wright interview, Richard is hopeful that this inaugural RPO project sells well enough to warrant at least a second RPO project. That is music to our ears!

I'm grateful to those who have posted videos and/or audios of these interviews in Britain (although I must say I'm mystified as to what happened to that snooker lady on the One Show --- one minute she's on the couch; the next minute she's gone; and don't get me started on all those audience members standing just a few feet away from the hosts/interviewees).

And, by the way, Proudofyou, I think it's more than okay to "drudge up the past," as we do that here on a daily basis by discussing music that was initially produced as long ago (and far away) as 50 years ago... :)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom