Carpenters Unreleased Material (Poll)

Do you think fans will see any unreleased material again?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

WYBIMLA

What are the chances we'll see any more previously unreleased material put out officially?

Examples:
-Studio Chatter
-Alternative Takes
-Outtakes
-Demos
-Live Recordings

There are a few titles that have been in circulation for some time like:
The moon's a harsh mistress
Try and win a friend
All my life
Thank you for the music
You'll never know
+KC's Unreleased Songs (E.g. Something's Missing)

I want to gather this forum's view on the subject.

I think so - and hope so !
If you look at the past - "Lovelines" was the end, then along came "From The Top", then came "Interpretations", then "Karen Carpenter", then "As Time Goes By", then "The Essential Collection"... You get my point!

To me I really don't care about them not being the best standard - they're outtakes for a reason ! I just hope Richard can see past his perfectionism and understand that we want anything and everything. Personally, having any recording with Karen Carpenter's voice on it, left collecting dust on a shelf is a crime.

I have to say interpretations held some surprises. I truly love this album. One because of the 3 unreleased tracks. Also because the album flowed so well as a whole.

As Time Goes By really held some gems and showed there is plenty of tracks we could enjoy.

One thing I would love to see in a released form. is a project where Richard plays the piano (leads/harmonies) and Karen singing (possible percussion/drum). Shall we say an unplugged of sorts. In the vein of From this Moment On. So many tracks could be stripped back. There may even be well known album cuts already in this style. We know they would record songs for their private collections. There could be many things that Richard has but whether it’s releasable or something he would never consider.

Richard has always taken risks in the past and released many things he resisted initially over the years. We can never really guess what he may do.

When Richard said he was finished I believe he was referencing releasing unreleased material. There are several things I have waited for years to have in full fidelity. I have even dreamed of Thank You For the Music, and several of the few still remaining from 1975-1981. But, for some reason, Richard has said that the others are not worthy of release. So, my gratitude extends to what we have. I think a few inside the circle has heard a few and I am surprised that nothing has leaked so those in the know really must be trustworthy. The only thing we may get is an RPO version of an unreleased but I suspect that formula works well for those already released. I voted no, for I feel we would already have them. I always felt maybe one for the 50th but I doubt it. I have really enjoyed the live videos on YouTube for it makes me feel 15 years old again! I think what cured me was the Release of the Complete Singles and the re-release of Sweet Memory. They are such treasures that my desire for more has been put in perspective.

Craig

Last edited:
I hope yes as eternity is a long time not to hear an unreleased Karen vocal collecting dust in the vaults or digital folder these days
.If Richard or anyone from Universal reads this and says no to unreleased could I refer them to the ABBA box set from 1994 called Thank you for the music to the ABBA undeleted medley of studio chatter,demos and unreleased songs in part or full form as an idea of a way to put things out that may not be considered 'perfect' but to us fans would be liquid gold i'm sure.
I love Karens.."I have to get in a serious mood here"at the start of Carpenters version of Make believe it's your first time.
Box office movie king is another title I think of an unreleased song?

I kind of doubt it.

If there was anything "unreleased" that he really wanted to get out there, he could have fleshed it out during the RPO sessions and included it on that album. That would have been a serious booster for sales. But considering he didn't do that, and he's said multiple times in the past that there is no more unreleased material that he considers worth releasing....I think compilations are pretty much all we'll see, outside of maybe another RPO volume and I think the chances of THAT are slim.

Of course in the inevitable event that Richard passes away, there's no telling what his family may do with whatever recordings are left behind.

I kind of doubt it.

If there was anything "unreleased" that he really wanted to get out there, he could have fleshed it out during the RPO sessions and included it on that album. That would have been a serious booster for sales. But considering he didn't do that, and he's said multiple times in the past that there is no more unreleased material that he considers worth releasing....I think compilations are pretty much all we'll see, outside of maybe another RPO volume and I think the chances of THAT are slim.

Of course in the inevitable event that Richard passes away, there's no telling what his family may do with whatever recordings are left behind.
I think he been saying that there was “No More Left” since shortly after “”From The Top”, and yet we’ve seen “Interpretations”, “Karen Carpenter”, “As Time Goes By” and the “Christmas Memories” DVD with ‘Christmas Alphabet’ & ‘Make Me Laugh’ (which it is surprising neither has made a CD debut yet). Plus in 1989 he was promoting “Lovelines” as the final Carpenters album. Kind of makes you wonder what he really meant.

I think he been saying that there was “No More Left” since shortly after “”From The Top”, and yet we’ve seen “Interpretations”, “Karen Carpenter”, “As Time Goes By” and the “Christmas Memories” DVD with ‘Christmas Alphabet’ & ‘Make Me Laugh’ (which it is surprising neither has made a CD debut yet). Plus in 1989 he was promoting “Lovelines” as the final Carpenters album. Kind of makes you wonder what he really meant.

I suspect that in 1989, Richard didn't imagine that any further unreleased tracks would appear after Lovelines - remember, this was before the renewed interest in their catalogue spurred by The Karen Carpenter Story and the success of the Only Yesterday compliation in the UK in 1990. It was that increased interest that led directly to the release of From the Top in 1991 and the appearance of further outtakes later on in the 1990s.

However, I don't think anything unreleased has been put out since 2002, which seems to suggest that we probably won't see anything else genuinely new from this point on. The other issue is that it's hard to imagine on what format anything unreleased could now appear. A further new box set is unlikely following The Essential Collection, which would be the most obvious home for such tracks, while including an unreleased song on a compilation doesn't seem likely as a) that could have been done since 2002 but hasn't and b) the market is pretty much at saturation point in terms of Carpenters compilations at the moment.

Also, for an outtake to really have an effect on sales, it would need to be a 'proper' song like 'Trying to Get the Feeling Again', not a silly piece from the TV specials like 'Christmas Alphabet' or 'Make Me Laugh'. It seem probable that Richard has no interest in doing anything with Karen's solo outtakes, and I don't know how many still-unreleased Carpenters tracks would fit that criterion - probably very few. Even As Time Goes By, which was a full 'rarities' album, felt a bit padded out with songs from the TV specials rather than using completely unheard studio tracks.

So, whilst in a sense it would be great to hear some more unreleased tracks, I don't think that either the will or the occasion for their release is really there anymore.

I suspect that in 1989, Richard didn't imagine that any further unreleased tracks would appear after Lovelines - remember, this was before the renewed interest in their catalogue spurred by The Karen Carpenter Story and the success of the Only Yesterday compliation in the UK in 1990. It was that increased interest that led directly to the release of From the Top in 1991 and the appearance of further outtakes later on in the 1990s.

However, I don't think anything unreleased has been put out since 2002, which seems to suggest that we probably won't see anything else genuinely new from this point on. The other issue is that it's hard to imagine on what format anything unreleased could now appear. A further new box set is unlikely following The Essential Collection, which would be the most obvious home for such tracks, while including an unreleased song on a compilation doesn't seem likely as a) that could have been done since 2002 but hasn't and b) the market is pretty much at saturation point in terms of Carpenters compilations at the moment.

Also, for an outtake to really have an effect on sales, it would need to be a 'proper' song like 'Trying to Get the Feeling Again', not a silly piece from the TV specials like 'Christmas Alphabet' or 'Make Me Laugh'. It seem probable that Richard has no interest in doing anything with Karen's solo outtakes, and I don't know how many still-unreleased Carpenters tracks would fit that criterion - probably very few. Even As Time Goes By, which was a full 'rarities' album, felt a bit padded out with songs from the TV specials rather than using completely unheard studio tracks.

So, whilst in a sense it would be great to hear some more unreleased tracks, I don't think that either the will or the occasion for their release is really there anymore.
We got “Make Me Laugh” and “Christmas Alphabet” in 2016. Not to mention but the “Perry Como Christmas Show” (not controlled by Richard but he used video from it in 2016) came out in 2013 that had Karen singing a different version of “Sleep Well Little Children” And Richard playing “Carol of the Bells” with choir and singing “It’s the Most Wonderful Time Of The Year”.

We got “Make Me Laugh” and “Christmas Alphabet” in 2016. Not to mention but the “Perry Como Christmas Show” (not controlled by Richard but he used video from it in 2016) came out in 2013 that had Karen singing a different version of “Sleep Well Little Children” And Richard playing “Carol of the Bells” with choir and singing “It’s the Most Wonderful Time Of The Year”.

These were all on DVD though. Nothing new has been released on CD.

I voted yes, only because I can picture some alternative versions of songs making it to disc someday. Other than that, I would only be happy to hear whatever Richard gives us. Thankful for what we have!

These were all on DVD though. Nothing new has been released on CD.
Does it really matter? One could argue that the single mixes for “Ticket To Ride”, “Your Wonderful Parade”, “Solitaire” & “Calling Occupants” are “new” even though they’ve been out on 45 for 50 years.

Really there hasn’t been any major compilation releases since 2009, except for the PBS Singles.

I voted no, as well - I think Richard would have released anything he felt deserved to be heard, a long time ago.

Like everyone else, I hope I'm wrong! Maybe the success of the RPO (assuming he considers it a success) will inspire him to dig something up and play with it, but again...doubtful.

Is it safe to assume that had the sales of As Time Goes By been in much greater numbers. Further rarities may of been released. I really enjoy the tracks available. The only exception being the hits melody. I prefer listening to the Live at the palladium version as it flows better in the format of the album.

ATGB may of contained many TV show based songs. I really enjoyed the extended without a song, leave yesterday behind, rainbow connection, your just in love, superstar/rainy days melody, the gorgeous nowhere man, when he smiles. I don’t want to list all the tracks. I can really say I really love this album. It was so awesome to have dizzy fingers and I got rhythm. It was so nice to have some heavier instrumental parts to the songs. When you look back at album cuts like sometimes or another song. It was great to have tracks like this included. The Ella/Karen duet is something so special.

I would of liked further rarities and had the album been more successful. There may of been a higher chance we may of seen something else.

Does it really matter? One could argue that the single mixes for “Ticket To Ride”, “Your Wonderful Parade”, “Solitaire” & “Calling Occupants” are “new” even though they’ve been out on 45 for 50 years.

Really there hasn’t been any major compilation releases since 2009, except for the PBS Singles.

There has also been The Nation's Favourite compilation in 2016 in the UK. Admittedly it was released in one market only, but the same is true of the PBS Complete Singles compilation and the Christmas Memories DVD, and in terms of copies sold, The Nation's Favourite will have been a far bigger deal than both of these.

I think your definition of 'new'/'unreleased' is rather wider than what is meant in this poll. The singles mixes I would term 'rare' or, at a stretch, unreleased on CD (apart from 'Solitaire', which was made available on the US Gold compilation), but that's quite different from unreleased as in never heard before. I'd class something like 'Trying to Get the Feeling Again' or 'The Rainbow Connection' as proper unreleased tracks, but unfortunately I don't think we're likely to see any more like those again.

ATGB: This was discussed long ago but the gist of the lack of sales was blamed on the delay of its release, as it had already been released in Japan and a lot of people already had import copies.

Plus, there was much debate over the Como Medley. And others were waiting for other selections that are still in a safe somewhere or destroyed by the fire years ago.

Either way, it’s a great CD and I enjoyed it more than I can express, despite how I even wanted more!

The most recent quote I was referring to was from the Chris May ("The Download") interview where Chris asked him if he had any new projects in the pipeline, he said "Not at the moment" and then Chris asked him about future releases upon which he replied he was "all done."

Of course that doesn't mean he won't do projects like RPO in the future, or other compilation projects. But the poll question was about unreleased material.

Wait what? Did she do Moons a Harsh Mistress? I'm obsessed with the Renee Fleming cover and would freak to hear Karen do it.

Wait what? Did she do Moons a Harsh Mistress? I'm obsessed with the Renee Fleming cover and would freak to hear Karen do it.
Judy Collins did a great version, as if her voice is a reflection of a still sky and an empty moon. I feel Karen would have chosen a similar style where the voice carries across the wind and horizon. So many sing it as a powerhouse version but I like the cold empty feel the accompaniment promotes that Judy Collins captures well.

While I would love something new released, I don’t think it will happen. I do hope I am wrong.

Jonathan

Back
Top Bottom