Carpenters Unreleased Material (Poll)

Do you think fans will see any unreleased material again?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I wonder how the "For All We Know" reprise from the London Bridge Special that was put on "Singles 1969-1981" would sound cleaned up with today's technologies. So, so many tracks could benefit from this technology. It is amazing what it did for IJFALA

Thanks for your votes all! :)
It's close, but just over 40 die hard fans show a result of "No" to this question.

When hearing Richard say "all done" I interpreted that as non-specific... meaning any future release.
Now that answer is clearer. He's only focused on improving what's already in the catalogue.
He has expressed guilt in the past for releasing outtakes. It's a shame because they bring fans so much joy.

My research indicates that all the titles I mentioned in this thread have full leads.
I could be wrong, but it's definitely a smaller list than you might think.
There's reason why they remain in the can (e.g. being a Richard lead, the original artist did it well already, Karen's solo outtakes weren't finished, multi-track tape destroyed).

But, of course, you never know if Richard will change his mind.
There's a very small percentage of previously unreleased songs that have a chance.
I'm sure there were outtakes of the outtakes from Lovelines and ATGB.
Not to mention Demos or work leads from their singles we haven't heard before.
I suppose there's not really anywhere to place them.

I think there would be a market for it anyhow because Karen was one of the greatest singers of all time.

Last edited:
Wait what? Did she do Moons a Harsh Mistress? I'm obsessed with the Renee Fleming cover and would freak to hear Karen do it.

Find the song by Michele Pillar. She has a voice that reminds me of Karen's. Its a VERY nice version.

I wonder how the "For All We Know" reprise from the London Bridge Special that was put on "Singles 1969-1981" would sound cleaned up with today's technologies. So, so many tracks could benefit from this technology. It is amazing what it did for IJFALA

I think that was in mono with everyone locked onto one track. A lot more difficult to clean up than something that was already recorded in 24 track stereo.

I'm sure there were outtakes of the outtakes from Lovelines and ATGB.
Not to mention Demos or work leads from their singles we haven't heard before.
I suppose there's not really anywhere to place them.

I think there would be a market for it anyhow because Karen was one of the greatest singers of all time.

Well sure, there is a market for anything she did. If somebody found a tape of 10-year-old Karen singing "Happy Birthday To You" at a friend's birthday party, it would probably sell. That doesn't mean Richard (or Karen) would want it out there in the marketplace. He is a real stickler for quality, so there are probably dozens of out-takes, flubbed lines, mispronounced words, or just plain bad performances (out of time, out of tune, Karen coughs in the middle or has a frog in her throat, etc etc etc.)

Some people would buy everything and anything, but if you were Karen would you want that kind of material out in the wide world? I wouldn't. And Richard doesn't need the money anyway.

I think the "flubs" keep it real, reminding us of their humanity even if her voice was one in a million (and it was).
I'd line up to buy anything new and previously unreleased, but that's just me.

Well sure, there is a market for anything she did. If somebody found a tape of 10-year-old Karen singing "Happy Birthday To You" at a friend's birthday party, it would probably sell. That doesn't mean Richard (or Karen) would want it out there in the marketplace. He is a real stickler for quality, so there are probably dozens of out-takes, flubbed lines, mispronounced words, or just plain bad performances (out of time, out of tune, Karen coughs in the middle or has a frog in her throat, etc etc etc.)

Some people would buy everything and anything, but if you were Karen would you want that kind of material out in the wide world? I wouldn't. And Richard doesn't need the money anyway.

This brings to mind some kind of "funny outtakes" material Richard probably could release - like things you mentioned. Hearing them laughing at some screw-up in the studio, etc. However, I don't think that's the kind of thing Richard would want out there, even though it would be quite a peek "behind the curtain" and seeing them as "real people" when the lights and cameras aren't on. But then, there's also value in keeping that distance with fans - the mystique that makes them seem bigger than life.

Hmmm. I'm arguing with myself now :wink:

Edited for spelling typos

I think Richard could pull off a Carpenters "as you've never heard them before" concept album.
The bulk of it would be filled with songs we know of with different leads, and a few previously unreleased songs or demos.
Maybe some live tracks and chatter to fill it out.
I know it's not the same quality he's thinking, but wow that would be an amazing peek into their creative process.

Beatles, Bee Gees, and Beach Boys have released more stuff along these lines.
To me it doesn't take away from anything... I think it adds to the genius.

This brings to mind some kind of "funny outtakes" material Richard probably could release - like things you mentioned. Hearing them laughing at some screw-up in the studio, etc. However, I don't think that's the kind of thing Richard would want out there, even though it would be quite a peek "behind the curtain" and seeing them as "real people" when the lights and cameras aren't on. But then, there's also value in keeping that distance with fans - the mystique that makes them seem bigger than life.

Hmmm. I'm arguing with myself now :wink:

Edited for spelling typos

There have already been a few of these - the version of 'Let Me Be the One' on From the Top includes Karen's counting in at the start and the extra ad-lib at the end, for instance. But again, I don't see which format these would could be released. This is the sort of thing that might appear on a box set, but after the Essential Collection, I'd very much doubt we'd get another one of these.

There have already been a few of these - the version of 'Let Me Be the One' on From the Top includes Karen's counting in at the start and the extra ad-lib at the end, for instance. But again, I don't see which format these would could be released. This is the sort of thing that might appear on a box set, but after the Essential Collection, I'd very much doubt we'd get another one of these.
We got “Make Believe It’s Your First Time” with Karen’s “serious mood” comment on VOTH. And the full “Let Me Be The One” with breakdown has appeared on the US version of 40/40. We’ve even had Richard’s count in on “Goodbye To Love” appear on a number of compilations.

It's true we've had gems given to us here and there. The only trouble with there not being more is the current state of the industry today.

Artists nowadays have to saturate the market with content (an extreme example in recent time is seeing the release of an album with 45 tracks).
In the spirit of keeping the legacy alive and keeping up with the times, it's in the best interest of the brand to find new, creative ways of providing that for fans.

I suppose the RPO series does the job.

Unless you're a die hard fan, you wouldn't do some digging to find rare material. As I said, there are other older acts that have more demos, alternative versions/takes or even instrumentals readily available.
I know Richard has stated he's not really in the business anymore... and perfectionism won't allow any more previously unreleased material.

I can't be the only one who sees the shame in that. Just my opinion anyways.

would be nice to put all their country songs remade on a new release..all the way from someone like you.. to those good old dreams.he can add strings and make slightly country sound even more and would give desperado another shot

would be nice to put all their country songs remade on a new release..all the way from someone like you.. to those good old dreams.he can add strings and make slightly country sound even more and would give desperado another shot

That’s a nice idea. I love Someone Like You. Are there any others you’d like to see remixed?

When Sweet Sweet Smile became a hit they talked about possibly recording a country album in 1978 I believe. They also released a promo only ep with three or four cuts on it and it had a picture sleeve, but no Carpenters picture on it. Reason to Believe, and SSS, Jambalaya and Top of the World. It’s been discussed before. A fun item for Carpenters fans to own. They did light country and jazz so well, what could have been.

Last edited:
I thought this might be a good place to show this since it was mentioned in the first post about Karen's unreleased solo tracks of which this is one of them. Here it is interesting to see that Evie Sands recorded "Keep My Lovelight Burning" and here is a promo ad that ran promoting the single from Radio & Records magazine Mar 30, 1979. It's interesting to hear both versions but I still don't understand why Karen would have chose to record this (even as one of the demos) when clearly Evie had already released the song as a single. Does that make any sense?

nttkrXA.png

Karen's (unfinished version)

Wow, that picture makes Evie look like a Karen impersonator. Weird that she was an A&M artist when Karen and Richard signed in 1969. Evie’s version is good, more aimed at the disco enthusiasts, and Karen’s is harder with that guitar, which I like better. Just my humble an biased opinion.

I like Evie’s version. After hearing her’s and then Karen’s version they really sound very similar vocally. Karen didn’t really do much to make it her own version which I guess explains why it was a demo track or one we were not suppose to hear. I like the “tah” 😂

lol. I want 'tuh" to be my ring tone. actually, I might make a necklace out of those letters so I laugh when I look at it. thanks for the inspiration. what a hoot.

I wanted to correct my post about the promo country ep. There is no picture sleeve, just the standard A&M jacket.
The picture sleeve that I was referring too is for the promo ep for the Yesterday Once More release. It was to radio programmers for their support over the years. It’s light blue and has Richard’s signature at the bottom. Not autograph.....I haven’t been through my single collection since the 90’s. It’s stored away up high, and hard to get to. Anyway I found that, the country eps the 2 different We’ve Only Just Begun pic sleeves, the jukebox eps and the 2nd single from Time that I didn’t remember even existed. Does anyone actually have a 45 with We’ve Only Just Begun with Maybe It’s You as the flip side? A&M was famous for pressing different things for east and west coasts or northern states. Sam Goody/Musicland Stores often got picture sleeves we never saw here in most California based stores. I believe they were based in Minnesota and maybe a different pressing plant was used for them. Anyway I’m going to try to send some pictures to Harry and he can maybe upload if he has time. Thanks again, Ken

Are there any rumours or planned releases to celebrate the 50th anniversary, previously released or not? It's already May and apart from the fan organised event and Randy's new book, there has been no information about music. I know there are still 8 months left of this year but I remain hopeful we will get a decent celebratory release, probably from Japan, as usual. Does anyone know if Richard is working on or involved in anything? The wonderful RPO project was not branded as anything to do with the 50th so I am ever hopeful of something else. Anyone have any ideas/info? Richard has surprised us in the past...

Back
Top Bottom