🥂 50th 50th Anniversary Celebration - West Coast*

In which city should the 50th Anniversary Celebration be based?

• Downey

Votes: 22 42.3%
  • Thousand Oaks

Votes: 28 53.8%
  • Long Beach

Votes: 4 7.7%
  • Other

Votes: 2 3.8%

• Total voters
For those interested, I uploaded a snippet of Saturday night's panel where I’m demonstrating the Carpenters’ vocal stacking process. The event was taped professionally but this is taken from an iPhone. Still gets the point across I think...

Last edited:
For those interested, I uploaded a snippet of Saturday night's panel where I demonstrating the vocal stacking process. There was professional videotaping and photography but this is taken from an iPhone. Still gets the point across I think...

Thanks for sharing! This was one of my favorite segments. I just wish there was more of this (or stuff like it) during the panel discussion.

A heartfelt congratulations and thanks to the CARPENTERS 50th organizers for all of their hard work in putting together an amazing event! Four days of love, music and stories shared among amazing fans from around the world. It was such a pleasure to meet and visit with you all. Karen would have been so touched to witness the love and support still there for their music 50 years later.

(Edited by moderation team. Please keep comments positive.)

Back home in Maine after a wonderful week in Southern California. Bravo Zulu (Navy flashback) to the staff that put this well organized celebration of the Carpenters together. Special thanks to Greg who's leadership and ability to adjust on the fly during numerous time constraints was invaluable and to my bus riding buddy Robert who's in-depth Carpenter knowledge and calm persona made the road trips enjoyable. Still have not unpacked the bounty of gifts, trinkets and collectables provided by the organizers, an unexpected surprise!

My very best to all of the new friends I made and connected with during the visit. And to older friends like Michelle, Mark and Judy, thanks for making the long journey from the east coast and entertaining us with your excellent performances. Am glad I finally figured out who Stephan (newvillefan) was by Friday afternoon, those UK guys all look the same! Very pleased to finally meet Chris May and Randy Schmidt who are the caretakers of the Carpenter legacy for future generations. "Props" to flight attendant extrordinaire Johnathan for the retro fashion tips and his charming personality.

To Nick and Millie, thanks for the non stop laughs and companionship throughout, we will keep in touch. To the lovely Paola and her personal chaperone Bety from Mexico City, we'll hopefully meet up again in the future. Best to Ron who taught me how to correctly peel a banana, never too late to learn something new! To Miki, Yuka and the rest of our friends from Japan, thanks for adding a dose of class and politeness to the event and bringing the 54 year old gentleman who looks 24. Let's all get together again in 2024 to celebrate the 55th!

Glad everyone enjoyed their time in Downey/L.A. It was good to see that Gayle Levant provided some insight, since we rarely hear from her. Richard Carpenter made an acknowledgement on social media for their 50th. He probably wanted to privately reflect on he & his deceased sister's success. As fans, we should honor & respect his decision about his life.

Apologies for a previous response I posted. Hope it didn't offend anyone. In any case, the video of deconstructing the harmonies was so incredible so thank you. Any chance there's more like it? Best regards. Wish I could have been there.

Reflecting on Richards no show. Disappointed yes, and he is a wealthy man, But I suspect he is also a man with a long memory, who made it very plain that he did not endorse our gathering. In fact he may have felt that we invaded his home turf uninvited expecting acceptance. I wouldn't have liked that.
What he has given us is the music. That can't be taken away. Personally I wouldn't trade 20 second interaction with him for one listen to Goofus. Just my feelings.

Very well stated. I hadn't looked at it from that angle...

Hello it's Miki from Japan!

I'm recovering jet lug and so sad because the tour was such a great experience. I never forget the 4 days forever.

I want to say ''Thank you" to all of you.
Greg and the other planners, I really appriciate to make such a great opportunity to celebrate Carpenters with fabulous fans.
Jeffrey, and White ash, thank you for caring about me to enjoy the event.
Jim, thank you for your kindness and entertain me. I'm so grad to become friend with you!
Judy, you are such a lovely lady and your show was so touching. I laughed a lot and cried a little.
Randy, thank you for making the beautiful book. As I told you, I have known your name since I was 10 years old so I am happy to meet you.
Lisa B., I was fascinated by your personality and I became your fan.
Ron, thank you for telling me your story on the bus.
I can' t tell you all enough how I appriciate.

It has been my biggest dream to visit some places related to Karen and Richard, especially Karen's resting place. I didn't expect that I can fulfill the dream with such wonderful fans from all over the world.

Maybe my English is broken but I wanted to tell you how I feel.
Thank you for everything, and I hope to meet you again!

Thank you for all the feedback you have provided to Greg, Peter and myself. We really appreciate that you supported the event so enthusiastically.

One other comment: We had a lot of help from the hotel staff and a core group of attendees who put together the swag bags and who handled a variety of other tasks, as well.

See you all at the next get together, whenever that may be !

If you watch this clip of the Japanese Telethon, from 1:06 in the planned out shot you can see that the stage Richard and Karen are standing on is directly in front of the building in my photos that housed Karen’s management office. The same staircase behind them to the right is clearly visible. I’d always thought the telethon was filmed in the parking lot :laugh:, but no we were actually stood on that very same spot the day we visited the old A&M lot :).

If you watch this clip of the Japanese Telethon, from 1:06 in the planned out shot you can see that the stage Richard and Karen are standing on is directly in front of the building in my photos that housed Karen’s management office. The same staircase behind them to the right is clearly visible. I’d always thought the telethon was filmed in the parking lot :laugh:, but no we were actually stood on that very same spot the day we visited the old A&M lot :).

Fantastic! I was wondering, while milling around that courtyard, where exactly was this set up. I think it was (and still is in some areas) a parking lot; however, it looked as though Henson Studios may have done some renovation to it. But, wow, this really puts this in perspective now. The area looks a lot bigger in the video than it really is. Thank you for posting!

But, wow, this really puts this in perspective now. The area looks a lot bigger in the video than it really is.

Yeah I think it is still a parking lot but I thought it was filmed in the much larger lot at the back of the premises. You're right, it does look a lot bigger in this video than in real life, which is what surprised me. I got a real buzz though when I watched the video back again and realised this is where it was shot. We can now say "we were there!". :)

As we were waiting on the bus for the rest of the the fans to come on board, I took this picture. I couldn't help but imagine Karen's Mercedes 350 pulling into that driveway off La Brea Ave with the personalized plates, windows rolled down, that beautiful mane of brown hair, and sunglasses on. A genuine "pop star" in every respect. I'm still on a huge "high" from this event!:)!

I'm glad everyone had fun... I'm stuck here in England studying for my exams but I was there in spirit. A good friend of mine delivered a card I wrote to Karen to the cemetery and attached it to the door of the mausoleum for me on a live video (you may have seen my card, it was the big colourful one saying "Thank You").
I wasn't there but I heard "Won't You Play A Simple Melody" that was played for the first time at the panel talk . it was lovely, I don't know why Richard hasn't released it!
Hi, I’m new here. Great forum!
Questions: Was the entire Won’t You Play a Simple Melody played? Karen, Richard, and Agnes all sing? Is the song completed or still unfinished? What year was it recorded? How was one of the panelists able to access this track? Thank you! -Matt

Hi, I’m new here. Great forum!
Questions: Was the entire Won’t You Play a Simple Melody played? Karen, Richard, and Agnes all sing? Is the song completed or still unfinished? What year was it recorded? How was one of the panelists able to access this track? Thank you! -Matt

Welcome to the forum, Matt! And yes, the entire song was played. It was taken from an "acetate" "scratch" copy, so the quality wasn't fantastic; BUT, it was good enough! I believe the panelist, Chris May, was given the track by Richard. It was recorded for potential inclusion in the second Christmas T.V. Special, I believe, which would have made it recorded, probably, in 1978 (but anyone can correct me if I am wrong). I'm sure many recorded it on their phones; however, it wouldn't be very respectful to Mr. May to then put it out on social media without his permission.

Great catch Stephen...your right it looks like the exact same spot. I also thought it was on a much larger venue. That whole entrance through the gates must have been a surreal experience. So happy you all were invited past the gates. :)

Stephen, I know entrance to the Yesterday Once More warehouse was not approved but did you get the chance to at least drive by the area (is that even possible?) I mean to at least take a pic of the warehouse with the awesome sign, YOM on the building?

And yes, the entire song was played. It was taken from an "acetate" "scratch" copy, so the quality wasn't fantastic; BUT, it was good enough!

I thought the sound quality was spot on. It sounded somewhat tinny when it started but I think that’s the sound of the ragtime piano that Richard was playing. When Agnes started singing the lead, she could be heard loud and clear! Then when Richard, Harold and Karen came in it immediately reminded me of the counter vocal arrangement on You're Just In Love. It was only a short piece, I’d say around 2 minutes long.

Stephen, I know entrance to the Yesterday Once More warehouse was not approved but did you get the chance to at least drive by the area (is that even possible?) I mean to at least take a pic of the warehouse with the awesome sign, YOM on the building?

I didn’t unfortunately. I simply went with the groups on the two tour buses and we were on our way to the memorial park when we found out we wouldn’t be able to visit the car warehouse afterwards for a photograph as planned, due to time constraints. It was a shame but I can live without a photo of that, given that we weren’t going inside anyway and also as we’d already seen so many amazing things.

Last edited:
Ignoring the trumpet and male vocal intro, this is the closest to what the Carpenter family version and arrangement of the song sounded like. I was actually shocked and delighted at what a lovely voice Agnes had. In tune and clear as a bell. You could definitely tell it was her from her speaking voice and also hear where Karen got her vocal precision from.

Ignoring the trumpet and male vocal intro, this is the closest to what the Carpenter family version of the song sounded like:

Same song, definitely! But done in a "tack" style piano and not horns. Harold and Richard provided the backing vocals while Agnes handled the lead. I think one of the huge takeaways was, at the end, Karen saying "that's my mom," and Richard saying "that's my dad!"

Back
Top Bottom