Carpenters Collected Coming on Red Vinyl

So I did order on June 18. It is supposed to ship on or around the 28.
I emailed today just to check if it would be shipping when they said. I received an email after about 2 hours and was told they should ship Friday but might even start shipping on Thursday.

Jonathan

Amazon says next week. I hope that’s true. Looks so cool. They never did any colored vinyl or picture discs back in the late 70’s or early 80’s when it was trendy. Better late than never.

Amazon says next week. I hope that’s true. Looks so cool. They never did any colored vinyl or picture discs back in the late 70’s or early 80’s when it was trendy. Better late than never.
I’m tempted to buy this just for the color and to see if it sounds sonically better than the white one which I wasn’t crazy about the mastering. I’m also not crazy about the fact Richard didn’t know anything about this release which makes me feel like it’s a bootleg release. The cover was also not good quality which screams bootleg.

My experience with colored vinyl is inferior sound quality. Especially older records. Just getting it for the novelty and it looks great.

My experience with colored vinyl is inferior sound quality. Especially older records. Just getting it for the novelty and it looks great.
I have quite a few pieces of colored vinyl pressed in 2013 and 2015 on Shelflife/Korda Records and it sounds super quite and actually better than the CD versions. So colored vinyl can sounds amazing if pressed correctly.

I have quite a few pieces of colored vinyl pressed in 2013 and 2015 on Shelflife/Korda Records and it sounds super quite and actually better than the CD versions. So colored vinyl can sounds amazing if pressed correctly.
Have you posted pictures in the Show Us Your Colored Vinyl thread in the Collectors Forum?

Love to see 'em.

I'll check that out Harry...didn't see that section.
Here's a peek at my red vinyl that just arrived today, new release called Kings and Queens from a band called The Ocean Blue from Hershey PA. I'm just head over heels with...the band came out in the 90's and for the life of me I don't ever remember them. I've managed to collect all their music and limited run of colored vinyl. I don't love many male vocals but his I'm in love with and can identify with their music and sound. This is their new release a limited run in red vinyl looks and sounds amazing so I know good colored vinyl exists because this is one of them. This makes me want a Carpenters release in red vinyl too.

0VGt8I7.jpg

I remember them. Between Something and Nothing was their breakout tune. Alternative music would be the best description I think. We carried the CDs at Music Plus/Blockbuster Music/Wherehouse when I worked there. Ohhhh, the good old days.

I've had issues with older colored vinyl records--if they weren't noisy, they scratched very easily.

The modern colored vinyl records I've purchased have mainly been OK, but there were still a couple of notable exceptions (like Sunken Condos).

I remember them. Between Something and Nothing was their breakout tune. Alternative music would be the best description I think. We carried the CDs at Music Plus/Blockbuster Music/Wherehouse when I worked there. Ohhhh, the good old days.
There an awesome group, I guess their considered alternative (not the grungy type) but I just think they make great music, real vocals, real instruments, great lyrics. They actually started back in the 80’s, my favorite track is Sad Night, Where is Morning? I can’t get over how awesome this red vinyl sounds and looking at it (being my first red vinyl) reminds me of a shiny red Apple I want to eat. lol

I got mine by UPS today. It looks very nice, though I won't be able to play it until I dig out my turntable, I have the white one as well. This one looks nicer; very classy. There are a couple inserts inside. One has the black and white 12x12 goofy picture from the Singles cover as well as another cover. There is also an advert for "The Collected Series." Being a complete-ist I always buy everything when it comes out so it doesn't cost me a lot more later.

Chas

For anyone following this thread, there is a lot of good information in the white vinyl thread.
Chris May had mentioned here that Richard was not happy and didn't know about the white vinyl of Collected and even called UMe. I guess Richard doesn't have any say because why would UMe release a red colored vinyl of the same collection if it's against Richard's approval?

I also posted a large photo of the front cover that shows the resolution could have been better on the original white vinyl. See Here.
If you look closely at the 8x10 photo you will see that the square stands R&K are sitting on are white not pixelated gray, also Richard's pants are white not pixelated gray like the album cover. The album cover almost looks like they not only enlarged a small photo to a large LP cover but they also photoshopped it because Richard's pants are the same pixelated color as the square stands they are sitting on. My OCD is kicking in. lol

Sussex is the cover the same pixelated one from the white vinyl release or did they enhance the photo?

I have the Ultimate Collection, and Collected on cd, both are the 3 disc versions, and they are indeed identical except for the cover art like Harry wrote. The album version of TOTW was strange to hear and the album version of YOM with the reviving car engine for Da Doo Ron Ron at the fade, is amusing. I listed to both sets last week on a road trip. I haven’t opened my black or white vinyl sets, so I’m not sure if the tracks are original like the CDs or the remixes. They’re just nice to have in my collection, with the red one coming soon.

I never found the CD cover to be the best as it always looked like it had been quickly, digitally cut out of a photo (or someone was using Photoshop for the first time), so I wouldn’t be surprised if the LP cover looked worst.

I got mine by UPS today. It looks very nice, though I won't be able to play it until I dig out my turntable, I have the white one as well. This one looks nicer; very classy. There are a couple inserts inside. One has the black and white 12x12 goofy picture from the Singles cover as well as another cover. There is also an advert for "The Collected Series." Being a complete-ist I always buy everything when it comes out so it doesn't cost me a lot more later.

Chas
When did you order? Where do you live? Just trying to see when mine might come.
Jonathan

When did you order? Where do you live? Just trying to see when mine might come.
Jonathan

I am in Eastern PA. I pre-ordered mine on eBay from someone in Michigan. I think about 34.00 including shipping.

I was also asked about the cover photo. The graphics are crystal clear, the picture of Richard and Karen is really fuzzy. It's like they blew a little photo up and it lost all its edge. I know they wanted the same covert as the CD, but I was actually amazed that they would approve a poor quality covert like this. I don't have my white or black here to compare, but remember thinking the same thing back the when I got those.

I hope this helps,

Chas

Back
Top Bottom