⭐ Official Review [Single]: 23. "CALLING OCCUPANTS OF INTERPLANETARY CRAFT"/"CAN'T SMILE WITHOUT YOU" (1978-S)

Which side is your favorite?

• Side A: "Calling Occupants Of Interplanetary Craft"

Votes: 39 81.3%
  • Side B: "Can't Smile Without You"

Votes: 9 18.8%

• Total voters
You would have noticed, above, that ‘Calling Occupants’ jumped back up eleven places and nearly hit the Top 40 again in early December, 1977, after falling twenty-two places from its peak. The week that it jumped back up the charts was the week ‘Carpenters At Christmas’ was screened in the US, I think, so it seems that this special might have boosted the sales of the single, even though the song didn’t appear on the show.

Here is an interesting promo ad, 12/09/1977 Radio & Records Mag, for Calling Occupants Single:
"Frantic reports of the new Carpenters sound phenomenon are coming in from all over the country.
There's no escaping it. It's in the air everywhere. Daring to go where no record has gone before
."
---
"With the renewed interest in UFOs due to Star Wars and Close Encounters, the Carpenters record has perfect timing and surely will be a hit."
"WRK0: "The record is selling in Atlanta. We're running a Close Encounters promotion and this record is custom made. We expect big things."
"I have had good phone action on this record since the first week of play. Solid Top 5 record."
"A tremendous sales surge as evidenced by its move on my chart this week. A solid Top 5 record."
---

The promo-ad:

Just saw this on the Canadian Songwriter’s Hall of Fame.

Apparently Calling Occupants of Interplanetary Craft was inducted into the Hall of Fame in 2019.

‘(Terry) Draper enthused about the Carpenters’ cover: “We hear it as the ultimate compliment…. they nailed it,” with Woloschuk adding, “It was, and is, extremely gratifying to hear one of our compositions rendered so beautifully by a group that is so respected.”’

Back
Top Bottom