It's Time For Herb To Do An All Vocals Album

I suppose if he ever "feels" it, he'd do it! He does seem content letting his horn do the talking.

It would also be interesting to compile all of his vocal tracks over the years. (Although it's hard to know where to draw the line, with tunes like "Hello, Dolly" and "Talk To The Animals" really not full-fledged vocals, but nonetheless they are vocals....)

I suppose if he ever "feels" it, he'd do it! He does seem content letting his horn do the talking.

It would also be interesting to compile all of his vocal tracks over the years. (Although it's hard to know where to draw the line, with tunes like "Hello, Dolly" and "Talk To The Animals" really not full-fledged vocals, but nonetheless they are vocals....)

Maybe a mix of old and new!

I don't think he would ever do it. His voice has changed quite a bit from the "This Guys' in Love With You" days. If you listen to "Something Cool" from one of his recent LPS, and imagine a whole LP in that style, I don't think it would work. You also have to keep in mind that a big majority of Herb's fans are fans of his playing....not his singing.

I wouldn't mind hearing his voice more often, but not a whole album's worth. It's just not his style.

I did do this once. I compiled many of the TJB and solo songs that had vocals. Any songs that had "lyrics" (as opposed to la-la-la or choir-type vocals) would qualify, so that means things like "Darlin,' "Catch a Falling Star," and "Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da" were there along with fully-vocal songs. So, it avoided being an "all Herb vocals" program, with trumpet bits breaking it up nicely. I also included some extras like "All In All" (Herb's vocal from Michel Colombier's Wings), and a couple of his duets with Lani from her solo work. I left out "Talk To The Animals" though.

I left out "Talk To The Animals" though.
That could indeed be the most cringe-worthy song in the whole catalog. :laugh: It worked fine in the TV special, but even as a kid, I found it difficult not to get up and flip the record over at that point. :laugh:

Cool compilation idea though. I should throw that together as a playlist, like I did the Sol Lake tunes. Which reminds me that I should also do a "Homebrew" compilation that has tunes written by all of the TJB regulars (Alpert, Pisano, Wechter, and I would include Sol Lake as well). I'm mainly an album fan, but I still like to mix things up every so often to put a fresh spin on it.

Great minds etc. I was driving home from a trip today when a Sam Cooke song came over the radio and it struck me that an album of tunes from this era by Herb might be very pleasant.

Back
Top Bottom