🎵 AotW Classics Julius Wechter & The Baja Marimba Band - I'll Marimba You - A Portrait In Music

Harry

Charter A&M Corner Member
Staff member
Site Admin
1567709942871.png

1Comin' In The Back Door2:14
2Brasilia2:36
3For Animals Only2:20
4Spanish Moss (mono)3:16
5Spanish Flea2:20
6Baja Nova (mono)2:15
7Fowl Play2:07
8In A Vera Cruz Vein2:25
9Peru '682:18
10I'll Marimba You2:11
11A Spanish Rose3:26
12Rhode Island Red2:45
13Up Cherry Street2:04
14The Odd One (mono)2:08
15For Bud2:40
16Fresh Air2:05
17Windy2:42
18Baja Nights2:25
19Las Mananitas2:57
20Acapulco 19222:07
21Big Red2:11
22Pedro's Porch Part II2:44
23Guacamole2:33
24Cabeza Arriba! (mono)2:30
25Samba Nuevo1:59
26Hecho En Mexico2:53
27Baja Humbug2:35
28Ceilito Lindo2:40
29Goin' Out The Side Door2:33

Rondor sampler of the works of Julius Wechter and some other homegrown composers for the purposes of potential use in movies, TV, and advertising. This sampler came out in 1998, roughly the same time as the Herb Alpert PORTRAIT IN MUSIC from Rondor as well. Like Herb's, it's a fold-out cardboard pack, but housing just the one disc.

This compilation was unfortunately mastered from LP needledrops with four of the tracks in mono, and two of the tracks sourced from HAECO-CSG albums. When this first surfaced, it was one of those highly sought-after items on eBay, but once its mastering truths were revealed, it's been not as desirable. I found the one I'm reviewing here for around $5 shipped from Germany.

Truly, the best part of this compilation is its track list. All of these tracks give a sampling of what made the Baja Marimba Band great, the local compositions from Julius and the gang. There are only a couple of cover tunes here. The list is good enough that I've mastered my own version using whatever digital sources were available and cleaned-up needledrops that sound better than what was used here.

I've also added the compilation to Discogs, as it wasn't found there at all.

Last edited:
Thankfully I have all these songs needle dropped to digital and a few of these from the collectors choice CD this in my opinion would be redundant but still it does serve it's purpose for what it was at the time of its release

This is admittedly a fairly far out idea. Many of the BMB records have a tune with writing credit going to one of the sidemen who were not really known as composers. I always wondered if Julius was the real writer on these and gave credit to his guys to give them a few extra royalties.

I've always thought similarly about all of those guys back in the 60s, sharing ideas for songs and some of them getting or giving credits to the others. And I still think that the main melody of John Pisano's "The Charmer" on SOUNDS LIKE is uncomfortably close to the main melody to "I'll Marimba You" by Julius Wechter.

This is admittedly a fairly far out idea. Many of the BMB records have a tune with writing credit going to one of the sidemen who were not really known as composers. I always wondered if Julius was the real writer on these and gave credit to his guys to give them a few extra royalties.
I don't think it's as far out of an idea after all Herb wrote Acapulco 1922 and credited it to his brother Dave so I think it was a common practice at least it appears that way to me but what i gather from this is that Julius and Herb were very generous in their ways I may be wrong in my assumption but just a theory on my part

I don't think it's as far out of an idea after all Herb wrote Acapulco 1922 and credited it to his brother Dave so I think it was a common practice at least it appears that way to me but what i gather from this is that Julius and Herb were very generous in their ways I may be wrong in my assumption but just a theory on my part
Good to hear. I met Julius once and talked to him another time by phone and from what I gathered he was a really good guy.

Or another idea is that Julius let the band members bring tunes in for the group to play. Unlike some bands where only certain members were "allowed" to contribute, the BMB (and TJB for that matter) were more open in allowing others to contribute.

but still it does serve it's purpose for what it was at the time of its release

Actually since it was issued by Rondor Publishing, it was not intended for commercial release but rather industry personal to be familiar with the songs incase they want to use them in films, commercials, etc. Strictly a promotional item. As with many publishing company disks they are usually needledrops.

Back
Top Bottom