Abba All-purpose VOYAGE Thread*

Whatever happened to that "new music" that Abba was supposed to be releasing? Big splash about that a couple months ago (plus a tour featuring "holograms") and then I never heard about it again. Or did I dream the whole thing?

Whatever happened to that "new music" that Abba was supposed to be releasing? Big splash about that a couple months ago (plus a tour featuring "holograms") and then I never heard about it again. Or did I dream the whole thing?

You didn't dream it. The new tracks are going to be released in December as part of a UK televised "unveiling" of the hologram tour.

Here are the ladies in the studio laying down two tracks, "I Still Have Faith In You" and "Don't Shut Me Down".

@abbaofficial on Instagram: “❤️ Frida, Agnetha, Björn and Benny in RMV Studio Stockholm, recording the two new songs! Release end of this year. ❤️ Have a great weekend…”

You didn't dream it. The new tracks are going to be released in December as part of a UK televised "unveiling" of the hologram tour.

Here are the ladies in the studio laying down two tracks, "I Still Have Faith In You" and "Don't Shut Me Down".

@abbaofficial on Instagram: “❤️ Frida, Agnetha, Björn and Benny in RMV Studio Stockholm, recording the two new songs! Release end of this year. ❤️ Have a great weekend…”

This hasn't been updated here, but the ABBA tracks and the December TV special are both pushed into the new year. So lets hope that the Carpenters album doesn't follow the same path.........

This hasn't been updated here, but the ABBA tracks and the December TV special are both pushed into the new year. So lets hope that the Carpenters album doesn't follow the same path.........

The two are unrelated. The ABBA project is delayed due to the progress with the development of the stage show and technology issues with the ABBA avatars.

Never got to see ABBA live, if technology can replicate a live concert in a concert hall from a group no longer performing live, I would be first in line to buy the tickets. Myself and many others queued overnight outside Bristol Colston Hall for tickets when Carpenters made their first U.K. tour back in 1971, if that concert could be staged once more in a live environment, that would be nearest thing to time travel.

I believe the Carpenters version is the superior cut, and I'm not just being partial. The arrangement just appeals to me more, not taking away from ABBA in any way, because I adore their work. It always baffles me when the subject comes up of Richard not thinking their studio cut improved on ABBA's take in any way. That just doesn't compute with me.

I believe the Carpenters version is the superior cut, and I'm not just being partial. The arrangement just appeals to me more, not taking away from ABBA in any way, because I adore their work. It always baffles me when the subject comes up of Richard not thinking their studio cut improved on ABBA's take in any way. That just doesn't compute with me.

One point I don't agree with you on. As beautiful as Karen sings it, ABBA knocks this one out of the park by a mile!
Of course if we had a recording from a studio proper from the Carpenters, I would compare the two. Maybe she could do the "Doris Day" version. Maybe that's what they were aiming for? Also the lyric, "I am the girl with golden hair" just doesn't bring Karen to mind.

One point I don't agree with you on. As beautiful as Karen sings it, ABBA knocks this one out of the park by a mile!
ABBA does an amazing job of it. That's for sure. My opinion is by no means a popular one, but that's where personal taste comes in with stuff like this. I've heard people rave over B'wana She No Home, even though I just do not get it at all myself and often skip track one when playing Passage.

Let's see, Carpenters vinyl (only?) in the USA, Aug. 2019 and as of now still no release for the ABBA tracks recorded, was it in 2017?

Just found this about ABBA:
Jamie Tabberer

Björn Ulvaeus has discussed ABBA’s new material, saying the reunion ‘strengthens, solidifies and confirms our bond.’ The band’s first new tracks in 37 years – I Still Have Faith In You and Don’t Shut Me Down – are set to be released in 2020.

ABBA has an A&M connection in that when PolyGram took over A&M, they shunted the US distribution and manufacturing of ABBA product to A&M. There are a number of titles from the era that have a "Distrubuted by A&M Records" designation on them, but the biggest telltale example was a release in the "Digital Memories" series of "Dancing Queen". It actually has artwork that uses the A&M Records logo:

DancingAM.jpg

I didn't even know they were releasing 2 new songs next year...where have I been? Why only 2 songs and what will they be released on?

(A certain music guy must of been under a rock?- ha ha)

If I remember the story, the songs were recorded during the summer/fall of 2017 while they were getting the ABBAtar project together. One song was supposed to be released the end of 2018 to be included in a TV special. Both of which never materialized. Then a song was supposed to be released early 2019. Then Sept.-Oct. 2019. Now sometime in 2020??? They may just be digital singles, but still claim there is supposed to be an ABBAtar video to promote the new music and ABBAtar tour, but the process is taking an immense amount of time. I think they just let the cat out of the bag too soon before this technology could be perfected enough to become reality.

Not
I didn't even know they were releasing 2 new songs next year...where have I been? Why only 2 songs and what will they be released on?

Where have you been?! :laugh:

The two new songs will debut on the ABBAtar hologram tour that is currently in development. I’m sure at some point one or both of them will also be released as singles.

There are also rumours that more than two songs exist. My friend met both Benny and Bjorn earlier this year and when he asked Bjorn about the rumour, it wasn’t denied.

https://www.express.co.uk/entertain...-Bjorn-Agnetha-Anni-Frid-video-restaurant/amp

ABBA reveal when we can finally hear their new music, and it's soon

ABBA's Björn says band is proof you can work with your ex

Here's a fresh update on when you can expect new ABBA music

I don't think the new songs would of ever materialized had it not been for the proposed hologram tour! So I'm not surprised you didn't know that either. jab, jab!

Maybe the creators of Star Trek, New Generation, Voyager etc. should of been involved. They've had the hologram technology for ions! :wink:

I don't think the new songs would of ever materialized had it not been for the proposed hologram tour! So I'm not surprised you didn't know that either. jab, jab!

Maybe the creators of Star Trek, New Generation, Voyager etc. should of been involved. They've had the hologram technology for ions! :wink:
And Star Wars...”Help me, Obi Wan Kenobi, you’re my only hope”
...crawls back under rock...

I received my ABBA colored vinyl box today. It’s a reissue of the all black vinyl box from 2014 I believe. Anyway so far so good. It’s 180g vinyl and every album is a different color. I started with Voulez-Vous since it’s my favorite. It says Capital Records. Then Polar and Universal in smaller print. Fingers crossed that it’s not a train wreck like the Carpenters set is. The record label is Polar. Made in Germany. That’s a plus. Still, glad to get it.

Last edited:
Update. Most of the albums were super quiet and the sound and mixing first rate. Minimal noise or pops on 6 of the 8 discs. The 3rd lp, ABBA has a perpetual rumble in places, a bit annoying, but listenable. I hear that in several records I’ve played over the last few weeks. Almost like motor noise. SuperTrooper has static on a few cuts. The Album was like I’ve never heard it before. The cuts Move On and Eagle blew me away. Love my new turntable and I took Rudy’s advice/dare and upgraded my cartridge to the Ortofon 2M Bronze. Expensive, but worth the money if you love vinyl. I’ve been playing my Carpenters Lovelines and Quad albums most every day as well. There is a difference in the American SQ vinyl versus the Japan CD—4 vinyl. SQ is fuller and more separation on a stereo unit with DTS surround. The CD-4, brings Karen’s voice to the front speakers like the Royal Philharmonic mixes. It’s interesting to hear the them in a new way. BTW Karen’s reading on GB2LV is the same in Japan as here. All the tears.....

Back
Top Bottom