šŸ“£ News Carpenters Royal Philharmonic Purchasing, Ordering, Shipping Thread

UPDATE:
I ultimately changed my mind about the white vinyl and felt I should pay $60.00 for Universal's defects and emailed them yet again. 4 days later they responded that they will be sending me a 3rd white vinyl set. This email response was a little different in that they indicated they have communicated with their warehouse that every step is taken to secure my product to arrive damage free. We will see what happens.

Today I received my black vinyl from Amazon. The packaging is 1st first, the LP was well protected inside a vinyl cardboard mailer and that was placed inside a larger box and then large bubble wrap. Needless to say it was so well protected. I am attaching pics, not so much for our forum members but for Universal to take notice to see how correct packaging and mailing of vinyl should take place. On the 2 white vinyl sets from Universal, neither of them were put in a vinyl cardboard protector like Amazon. So I'm not surprised both jackets were bent/creased.

Amazon's black vinyl jacket is just lovely to hold, just like the one I saw at Barnes and Noble very nice. So I said this is good...until I opened it. LP #1 label is way off center in fact it had a center hole off center. It doesn't affect play but just looks like crap. The edges of the vinyl are very very sharp. It you notice the label it messes up the wording caused by the off center press hole "orchestra", oh well, I laughed and said I'm not surprised. Universal has some major issues with their factory. LP 2 label and edges are much better however if you look closely there is so much black plastic in the hole that it won't go on my turntable, I've tried to force it down and it just won't go down. I could probably scrap it but with the look of LP 1 off center why bother. It's going back.

I've cleaned LP 1 and listened and it actually sounds pretty good except for the loud pops (again not your normal pops but much louder) I will say this that to my ears on only 1 listen the black vinyl actually has a better sound. The highs and muddy sound I mentioned on the white vinyl LP1 I'm not hearing on this black vinyl. The black seems like it has better highs and the orchestra sounds much fuller with nice clarity and tone, something I wasn't getting on the white vinyl LP 1.

Unfortunately, I won't accept this so this black vinyl is going back for a replacement. My love for their music never diminishes but I expect to get a quality product for my money and this is not it.

Amazon's Packaging (nice job)

r8gfclG.jpg

fNe4KhR.jpg

That is just insane! Whatā€™s wrong with these people? Richard is going to blow a gasket when he sees whatā€™s happening.

My order is finally saying processed and delivery, so hopefully it will actually be arriving for tomorrow! Hopefully it will be in good condition šŸ¤ž.
Mine too! Ordered November 2018 and having received no updates from them regarding the postponed release date I was half wondering whether they'd remember. I'm having it delivered to work and naturally I'm on leave this week!

Reactions: Sue
Glad I didn't waste my money on any of this. I'm sorry that you did. I'm thinking you should just get your money back and take the lesson learned.

Ed
Trust me Iā€™ve thought of just getting my money back but I really want the white and the black vinyl just for my collection. I just want a playable decent copy that is not mucked up. I keep thinking there has to be 1 good copy their producing and I want it. I donā€™t understand why I keep getting these defective sets.

Amazonā€™s already shipped my replacement. UMe will send another email with another tracking. I told them not to send me another litho just the white vinyl in a protective mailer but itā€™s already showing another entire set will be shipped.

Just had an email to say itā€™s been dispatched today šŸ˜finally!!

Iā€™m also surprised he didnā€™t come to the UK first as well, given it was a collaboration with the RPO and done at Abbey Road Studios. Did he do any promotion for this album in the US at all?
Mine too! Ordered November 2018 and having received no updates from them regarding the postponed release date I was half wondering whether they'd remember. I'm having it delivered to work and naturally I'm on leave this week!

Disaster from the top down. So sorry for those of you who got burned. I wanted a copy for my site and seriously considered it. That consideration has completely eroded now.

Ed

Hello all, I guess I've been lucky. I have received the white set, the black set and the Litho. The only issues are a minor bend at the top corner of the white album cover, and some very minor roughness and spidering of the labels around all of the center holes. I haven't listened to them yet, though I may never listen to them at all. Overall, I feel these issues are very nicely done and I'm glad to have them, even if it did take almost a year.

Chas

Given Universalā€™s abysmal record so far, Iā€™ve a feeling an unblemished standard vinyl set may become a collectorā€™s item in due course :laugh:

I do wonder, as someone mentioned earlier, if the 180 gram is the issue. Maybe 120 gram would have been the way to go?

Itā€™s ironic because usually a higher gram weight means better quality vinyl and sound. However with Universal itā€™s just the opposite.

...taking a break from target practice out back and chopping on vinyl...

Itā€™s ironic because usually a higher gram weight means better quality vinyl and sound. However with Universal itā€™s just the opposite.

I think the industry uses the higher gram weight to justify the higher price tag it now charges for vinyl. What this ignores is that the weight can be as heavy as you like, but if the pressing and quality control aren't good, then the end result will still sound inferior to the lighter vinyl pressings done in the 1970s and 1980s.

Rick, if you get a few more shipments of vinyl you might accumulate enough to re-side your house! (vinyl siding.)
The house that Universal built! Who needs to be a rock star? lol

It looks like from CDJapan the vinyl is sold out says it was manufactured outside Japan so Iā€™m assuming itā€™s a US pressing from the same defective plants. It doesnā€™t appear there will be a Japan pressing and thatā€™s a shame.

(Bringing the above quote from the other RPO thread)

Where is the vinyl coming from that is being delivered to the UK customers for example? Is it all coming from USA pressings?

For example @Sue, I noticed you got yours yesterday. Where did that pressing come from that was shipped to you? Congrats on finally getting your copy, BTW! :)

Reactions: Sue
(Bringing the above quote from the other RPO thread)

Where is the vinyl coming from that is being delivered to the UK customers for example? Is it all coming from USA pressings?

For example @Sue, I noticed you got yours yesterday. Where did that pressing come from that was shipped to you? Congrats on finally getting your copy, BTW! :)
I know that my order through Amazon.ca was shipped from the US to Canada. The record doesnā€™t mention anything about being manufactured in Canada (or even the cardboard sleeve being printed in Canada and the vinyl pressed in the US) so it seems to be all from the US.

But with Universal you have wonder why they donā€™t switch to a different plant. Sure it might add $5 to the price, but that might make the difference, especially since other record labels over the past 15 years have produced records (even colored Records) that donā€™t sound like they came from a pawn shop or garage sale.

Back
Top Bottom