in '68, did Sergio intend to replace Lani with Gracinha Leporace?

I hadn't thought of Jackie + Roy for ages, but I do have one of their albums. It features as the last track on the album a version of "We Could Be Flying", which kind of brings the subject of the thread back to Lani...

Wow this is the first time hearing Jackie and Roy I've seen this album cover many times in catalogs and inner sleeves this sounds great

It was that time, but the Carpenters got a second chance, and there was an existing relationship with Sergio—-which is why I wonder if this was an early crack in the friendship.
Herb stealing Sergio's girlfriend might also have had something to do with it. :D (I think Sergio one said amusingly in an interview, "He stole my girl!" Years after the fact, though.)
And now that you say that, what we're overlooking is that the plan may have been for it to be an A&M release, it was rejected and Sergio took it to Blue Thumb, with artwork and packaging already done.
I had that same feeling the first time I took the record out of the jacket--I knew it was Blue Thumb, but something just smelled "A&M" about it...

Interesting too that Bossa Rio opened for Sergio Mendes & Brasil '66 at the Expo '70 in Japan. Both shows were recorded for release on record, with Bossa Rio's going to Blue Thumb (Japan) and Sergio's going to A&M (Japan).

Here is a great article about Jackie & Roy. Eumir Deodato was so taken by Jackie's good looks and talent that he wrote a song in honor of Jackie entitled "Jackie, All." Scroll down and you will see some nifty pictures including the CTI all stars from 1972 with Jackie & Roy.

R.I.P.: Jackie Cain Kral

Here is a nifty version of the Beatles "The Word" by Jackie & Roy, with some great work on the electric piano by Roy.

And Jackie & Roy could perform Bossa Nova superbly. Listen to their version of Baden Powell's "Samba Triste."

...which puts "Jackie, All" on two A&M/CTi LPs in a row (SP 3020 and 3022), since 3021 was the Audio Master Plus Sampler Volume 2, many years later.

Thanks Michael for posting "Jackie, All." A beautiful song worthy of the talent of Jackie Cain. From the same Moondreams album by Wanderley is incredibly beautiful song "One of the Nicer Things" written by none other than Jimmy Webb. It certainly has a Brazilian feel to it.

Herb stealing Sergio's girlfriend might also have had something to do with it. :D (I think Sergio one said amusingly in an interview, "He stole my girl!" Years after the fact, though.)

I had that same feeling the first time I took the record out of the jacket--I knew it was Blue Thumb, but something just smelled "A&M" about it...

And the brain cell that held this information just re-awakened----

Blue Thumb was a natural, since Tommy Li Puma had left his gig as house producer at A&M to co-found Blue Thumb just the year before. The relationships were already in place.

I first saw Sergio Mendes and Brasil 66 and Bossa Rio together on February 15 1970 at Hofheinz Pavillion in Houston Texas. Billy Connally was the act in between the groups. I think that the group may have been in Monterrey Mexico in August of 1970. The bar a couple of doors down from the hotel where I was with my parents had a picture of Sergio and Brasil 66 in the window.
The way that Sergio started his group part was the girls told him that the crowd didn't speak Portuguese. I was siting close enough to the stage and Karen was on the side where I was sitting.
I since have seen Sergio in concert several more times.
If you look at the cover of Favorite Things I think the girls are Lani and Karen and maybe Gracinha.
Lani Hall appears on the a Flora Purim album singing background.

The models in my opinion were meant to be "Eye Candy " for marketing purposes again just my opinion The Whipped cream album was a Huge Example of that but in the end Its the music that matters most

The cover for one of Sergio's albums (with a model) is kind of creepy...

1589416741687.png

If they were trying to pull off "artsy," they missed the memo. 😁

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom