📷 Gallery Inner Sleeves

Threads with gallery-like content.
It'd be nice to see a collection of the Ansel Adams "Preserve the Sound Outside" innersleeves in this thread. Hint, hint...

I'd work on it myself but I don't have the time or the large scanner needed. And I may not have the whole collection... how many are there?

I used to look at these sleeves all those years ago and wonder what all that music sounded like. (More so the sleeve that followed, where the CTi albums were featured.) Thankfully I've been able to at least listen to, if not own, just about all of those now.

Wasn't there an A&M innersleeve before the the top pictured one which also showed the George Mccurn and Dave Lewis Los along with the first BMB l.p.s? I could have sworn I saw one back in the 80s

Don't think so - I believe that what I posted is the first printed inner sleeve. Perhaps your recall is confused with the albums that used to be shown across the bottom of the back covers. Also, George McCurn & Dave Lewis didn't exist for long!

Wasn't there an A&M innersleeve before the the top pictured one which also showed the George Mccurn and Dave Lewis Los along with the first BMB l.p.s? I could have sworn I saw one back in the 80s

That probably was a series of album cover pictures that ran at the bottom of the back side of the LP cover under the heading "Other A&M albums you will enjoy...". Several of my earliest TJB albums feature this. I don't know offhand if I have one that showed a picture of the George McCurn album(they're all in my closet thanks to CDs), but I know I have some that showed Lucille Starr/Bob Regan and Dave Lewis.

"Man's Best Friend.....Music!" (my favorite A&M inner sleeve from 1976)!!
I so remember that one it kept Herb alpert's just you and me album photo in the lineup for quite awhile and it graced many of the Various 60s A&M reissues from that time up until the Late 70s or so there were plenty of those particular inner sleeves back then

That probably was a series of album cover pictures that ran at the bottom of the back side of the LP cover under the heading "Other A&M albums you will enjoy...". Several of my earliest TJB albums feature this. I don't know offhand if I have one that showed a picture of the George McCurn album(they're all in my closet thanks to CDs), but I know I have some that showed Lucille Starr/Bob Regan and Dave Lewis.
I know of those back album cover pictures but I was for some reason under the impression that there was a very rare early innersleeve that had those pics too maybe it was a dream I had when I was younger

I've yet to see one of the '4 color catalog' of A&M albums offered if you sent a SASE. They were rumored to show covers of LPs that were never released.

JB

I enjoy looking at all the different designs of the A&M inner sleeves. The design, layout, fonts, and colors represent an artwork all its own. When I put an A&M LP on the turntable I find myself staring at the inner sleeve and the little LPs images from the A&M catalog. I have a stash of extra A&M inner sleeves on hand as replacements for the used A&M LPs I purchase that come with white sleeves.

When I put an A&M LP on the turntable I find myself staring at the inner sleeve and the little LPs images from the A&M catalog.
As a kid, I used to stare at these innersleeves all the time, wondering what all of those records sounded like! My folks had the TJB, Brasil '66 and Baja albums, and eventually we ended up with a Sandpipers album, but beyond that we never had any of the others.

Of the images pictured above, I think the only ones I *don't* own some kind of copy of are the Lee Michaels albums, one of the Fairport Convention albums, and the Blodwyn Pig album.

I have only the Carnival of Life album by Lee Michaels--it was an interesting record, rooted in the psychedelic 60s sound. I should pull that one out and give it a spin soon.

I've yet to see one of the '4 color catalog' of A&M albums offered if you sent a SASE. They were rumored to show covers of LPs that were never released.

JB

I think there might be one of these on eBay. I've copied the photos and cleaned them up a bit:

Catalog1adj.jpgcatalog2adj.jpgcatalog3adj.jpgcatalog4adj.jpg

Last edited:
That's different from the one I had.... I remember mine had a black cover. I think it might have been a bit newer, but who knows?

I am trying to make some sense of the photo on the cover, but coming up empty.... who is that?

Interesting that they've got Edu Lobo's album listed under "instrumentals."

That's certainly the first one I've ever seen, even if it was just a scan. I'm surprised at two things. One is that there is no A&M logo (but there is an Ode logo!) , and second is that I only count three colors: black, white, and red. Weren't there supposed to be four? Maybe gray. Lol.

Interesting the catalog lists Soul Flutes under Herbie Mann, whose name is not mentioned in the liner notes of SP 3009. He had fulfilled his 2-LP deal with A&M as the mystery "fluteman" after returning to Atlantic.

There were rumors the color catalog showed cover art for several unreleased items, such as Manfredo Fest (SP 4193), 'Under' Milkwood (SP 4226) and Children of God (SP 4231). It would be great to get a look at albums that never were.

JB

Back
Top Bottom