Singles 1969-1973 Overture

newvillefan

I Know My First Name Is Stephen
I’ve searched the forum for the official thread on this album but it seems to have disappeared (if it ever existed - moderators please add this post to it if I’ve missed it).

I listened to it again this evening for the first time in years and it brought back to me one of the sweetest moments Karen ever recorded. It’s the first line of the overture:

Why Do Birds Suddenly Appear/
Ev’ry Time You Are Near

On the word “time”, Karen just misses hitting the note bang on. Whether that was an accident or deliberate, I’m glad Richard kept the take as it’s all the nicer for it. I actually prefer it over the same line on the original version, which is more pure because she hits the note more directly.

I wasn’t around when this album was released but can imagine the surprise when the listener looked at the tracklisting and expected to hear We’ve Only Just Begun, only to hear what sounded like the wrong song, which then leads into a wonderful overture. The album really is a masterpiece.

Last edited:
On the word “time”, Karen just misses hitting the note bang on. Whether that was an accident or deliberate, I’m glad Richard kept the take as it’s all the nicer for it. I actually prefer it over the same line on the original version, which is more pure because she hits the note more directly.

You know, I always assumed she was going for more of the bluesy, half-step chromatic slide-in interpretation to make it slightly different from the lead on the original. Interesting observation!

I remember hearing it for the first time. I was at work (music store). I put it on one of the store turntables, set down the needle and walked away. Upon hearing the beginning of "Close To You," I did a double-take and went to look at the jacket song list again, then at the LP itself and I could see there was an extra "band" there. Pretty cool!

I’ve always thought it a great opening to the album. I was only 12 and I did not know We’ve Only Just Begun, but did know Close To You so although it’s shift was a surprise it did not catch me off guard. At this time Sing, Yesterday Once More and Top of the World were the only songs I was sure of besides Close To You. Others did sound familiar but were joyous as a first discovery. We’ve Only Just Begun, I later learned was still being sung in Weddings as a staple of songs. What a glorious time for a Carpenters fan!

I figured it to be intentional; a subtle clue that this was not simply a slapped together Greatest Hits package released in time for Holiday gift giving. I was 13 when this album was released and it was quite the experience to listen and absorb. It was also fun to enjoy the re-recorded "Top Of The Wold" become a smash hit a year plus later. Magical Carpenters times.

I was 11 and already had all of the LPs by that time. So I knew something was very different the second the 'Intro' started playing. Love that vocal and the overture that follows it. Such a classy and introspective way to start a hits compilation. It takes the listener on their journey. Truly perfect.

The remake of 'Ticket To Ride' was just a mind blower! I'd seen them 'live' my one and only time just 7 months prior. I remember hearing 'Ticket To Ride' and thinking, 'THAT'S exactly how Karen sounded in the arena'.

Last edited:
It was released a day or so before my 18th birthday. It was by far the best present I got that year. They had just been on the Bob Hope special singing the new version of Top of the World a few weeks or days before it was released. They had the album cover positioned behind them, with light bulbs all around the cover. We only had a black and white tv then, so I had no idea what color the cover was until I saw it at the record store. Little did I know that I’d be working there soon! Later on I would recommend it to wedding djs or play it at weddings and the couple would always thank me for a special mix I made just for them. Little did they know.... a big hit for sure. Their first number 1 album. Billboard did a whole tribute edition to Carpenters with the release. It’s got great pictures and congratulations from friends, and peers alike.

I first got this L.p. on vinyl in 1984 and it was my one of my first Carpenters albums I liked the unique way it was put together the opening interlude was quite an appropriate beginning to a Stellar album and it still is

As wonderful as the original US pressing is, my most prized Carpenters possession is the Japan Quadraphonic CD-4 discrete LP pressing of "Singles 1969-73." This is the quadraphonic version of "We've Only Just Begun" with the "Close To You" intro.

Very cool! Thank you for posting. Watching a youthful, incredibly beautiful Karen, even lip sync this song, definitely produced chills and brought a tear to my eye.

As for the LP, I could just see a sly smile across Richard's lips as he threw a "change-up" with that intro. And the Superstar, Rainy Days & Mondays, Goodbye To Love Medley would be copied verbatim in their live performances for the rest of their careers (i.e: June 1978 "Tonight Show" appearance). And it was all Richard. He was a genius and mastermind in the studio.

Got it as a Christmas present in 1973 when I was a kid and always thought it was magical. There's a tinge of Superstar and Rainy Days in there -love it.

Back
Top Bottom