⭐ Official Review [Album]: "LOVELINES" (SP-3931)

HOW WOULD YOU RATE THIS ALBUM?

• ***** (BEST)

Votes: 18 20.0%

Votes: 48 53.3%

Votes: 15 16.7%

Votes: 8 8.9%

Votes: 1 1.1%

• Total voters
It is important to recall that songs Little Girl Blue (keyboards Richard Carpenter)
and When I Fall In Love (keyboards Pete Jolly) were both recorded specifically for 1978 Space Encounter television special.
Also, they were arranged and orchestrated by Peter Knight. At that point in time (1978) it was quite gutsy (out of the ordinary)
for pop artists to be recording "American Standards."
Little Girl Blue is one of my all-time favorite Carpenters' recordings.

Info:
Carpenters •• Song title

^^^ For that reason alone, I wish there had been a 1978/9 release. I really like "When I Fall in Love".

It is important to recall that songs Little Girl Blue (keyboards Richard Carpenter)
and When I Fall In Love (keyboards Pete Jolly) were both recorded specifically for 1978 Space Encounter television special.
Also, they were arranged and orchestrated by Peter Knight. At that point in time (1978) it was quite gutsy (out of the ordinary)
for pop artists to be recording "American Standards."
Little Girl Blue is one of my all-time favorite Carpenters' recordings.

Info:
Carpenters •• Song title

I have to say that I'm not really a fan of either of these. 'When I Fall in Love' is well performed but Nat King Cole's version is so definitive that, as good as Karen's vocal is, it doesn't bring anything new to the song. It works as part of a TV special, but not as a separate artistic statement. I find the arrangement of 'Little Girl Blue' far too ornate - it overpowers the simplicity of the song.

Remember When Lovin is one of the weaker songs. I feel that was a mistake. I know it has its followers but there were better songs in which to choose.

I have to say that I'm not really a fan of either of these. 'When I Fall in Love' is well performed but Nat King Cole's version is so definitive that, as good as Karen's vocal is, it doesn't bring anything new to the song. It works as part of a TV special, but not as a separate artistic statement. I find the arrangement of 'Little Girl Blue' far too ornate - it overpowers the simplicity of the song.
I get what you're say- but it brings Karen to it! :)

I get what you're say- but it brings Karen to it! :)

It's true. And it's a nice enough listen in one sense. But despite their incredible strike rate on taking other people's songs and stamping their definitive mark on them, on this one it's Nat all the way for me. Every other version of it (and there must be hundreds of them) just sounds like a copy.

At that point in time (1978) it was quite gutsy (out of the ordinary) for pop artists to be recording "American Standards."

As you say they were recorded specifically for the TV specials, so they probably never intended either song to be commercially released on an album. For a TV special, where they have the visual aspects, a background set and so on, they could choose material that would stretch Karen’s wings but may not necessarily have sat comfortably on any album they were releasing around that time. It’s a shame, because by 82/83, it had become trendy to record and release standards albums.

It was not until after Linda Ronstadt's album that "standards" became a "bankable trend."
Linda Ronstadt's album of standards, What's New, was released September 1983.
Here is what she has to say about that:
Q:You started to perform standards in 1983, well before that became a bankable trend. How much resistance did you face at first?
LR
:Oh my God! The president of my record company came over to my house and said,
You’re going to destroy your career.
Source:
Linda Ronstadt, Retired From Singing, Is Still a Glorious Voice

As you say they were recorded specifically for the TV specials, so they probably never intended either song to be commercially released on an album. For a TV special, where they have the visual aspects, a background set and so on, they could choose material that would stretch Karen’s wings but may not necessarily have sat comfortably on any album they were releasing around that time. It’s a shame, because by 82/83, it had become trendy to record and release standards albums.
In a way, Christmas Portrait was the only TV special album released in Karen’s life time.

This is my second favorite album next to Offering. I know I know but it truly DOES feel like a full album and everything Richard did works!

I have multiple copies on LP which is the best way to hear this album. The new 180g LP and Remastered classics don’t sound as amazing as the original LP.

I heard Loveliness 10 years before I heard her solo album which I’ve played... the least of anything. To me it’s an actual album because the songs on the solo album I first heard on Loveliness. The newer version of the title track blows the original out of the water. I love the ending effects of “If I Had You.”

I finally got my hands on the 1998 CD at the age of 14 in 2003. Boy did I get made fun of because everyone else was listening to Rap and “juking.” I had heard everything BUT loveliness up until high school. I played the heck out of this on my first homecoming night and my boyfriend thought it was gorgeous.

This is the ONLY album to be released during my lifetime, and being the last. I was less then 1. And btw Richard looks hot on the cover!

Last edited:
This is the ONLY album to be released during my lifetime, and being the last. I was less then 1. And btw Richard looks hot on the cover!
Are you forgetting about As Time Goes By from 2001?

For me Lovelines is the second main Carpenters album released in my lifetime. Of course it and An Old-Fashioned Christmas were released when I was very young, so I could not see them released.

I’m a huge fans of those standard tracks on this album. LGB was Karen’s life (the book’s appropriate title) in many ways and she sings it as such.

Still one of my favourite albums
I know but it truly DOES feel like a full album and everything Richard did works!

I remember ordering 2 copies of the LP and 2 copies of the CD single, one set for me and one set for my then best friend. The CD of Lovelines, I was actually able to get at my local record store. With the mix of outtakes, solo cuts and TV tracks, it was a nearly perfect album, and one I still listen to 30 years later! I'm on the bandwagon with you guys on this one!

By this time in 1981, the focus was definitely on Karen and a joint project with Karen/Carpenters may have helped, as with the Olivia special where only Karen guest starred. It was definitely time to branch out and stay with Richard on the Music Music Music type songs. That had always been my gut feeling, even back in 1981 when she was still alive.

I definitely go through phases, but most of 2018 "Lovelines" was my favourite album of all, still one of my top favourites. I always turn the volume right up as "Slow Dance" fades out at the end to hear those gorgeous, smooth "Someone like you... Ooohh someone like you..."'s; I wish Richard hadn't faded it, and let it play on for a bit longer to fully hear it

"Kiss Me The Way You Did Last Night" and "Where Do I Go From Here" are some of the standouts but I really believe a lost Carpenters Gem (as far as the public goes) is "The Uninvited Guest"

It's such a haunting song, "The Uninvited Guest", Karen's voice is so hurt and emotional in this recording, it's wonderful how she could just put herself into a song, she sounds almost tearful. Richard has described this track as a "good vehicle for Karen". And when the producer of "Carpenters From A - Z" brought it up, Richard sounded pleasantly surprised and said he'll have to dig it out for a listen.

It really feels like an autumnal album (strangely it's around Autumn each year that I really get into this album), the dark cover, the Halloween release date, certain lyrics like "lyin on a bed of leaves"

Totally agree! Being that I purchased ‘Lovelines’ on its release date, 10/31/89, it’s always been very much an Autumnal album for me, too. I remember being SO pumped that day and being mesmerized by the entire album.

Incidentally, that was also the release date of Billy Joel’s ‘Storm Front’ and Linda Ronstadt’s ‘Cry Like A Rainstorm’ albums. Quite a day for fantastic new music.

Totally agree! Being that I purchased ‘Lovelines’ on its release date, 10/31/89, it’s always been very much an Autumnal album for me, too. I remember being SO pumped that day and being mesmerized by the entire album.

Incidentally, that was also the release date of Billy Joel’s ‘Storm Front’ and Linda Ronstadt’s ‘Cry Like A Rainstorm’ albums. Quite a day for fantastic new music.

Yes, three great albums! :) ^

"Where Do I Go From Here" with it's autumn leaves opening kind of makes me think of fall too! What a surprise "Lovelines" was, not expecting an album so cohesive and listenable. It really comes off as a studio album and not just a collection of mostly unreleased tracks of the past.

Are you forgetting about As Time Goes By from 2001?

For me Lovelines is the second main Carpenters album released in my lifetime. Of course it and An Old-Fashioned Christmas were released when I was very young, so I could not see them released.

I do like “As Time Goes by” I was like 12 when it came out. Leave Yesterday behind is one of my favorite Carpenters songs. Was that a single? I know Rainbow Connection was in Japan. Japan and Mexico had all these random singles like I have You and Happy. As time goes by truly does feel like a compilation... Loveliness doesn’t. It is an essential for any Carpenters fan however.

I’m a huge fans of those standard tracks on this album. LGB was Karen’s life (the book’s appropriate title) in many ways and she sings it as such.

I have both books. I’m friends with Donn who I’ve met personally many times who’s also a member here. He got me LGB and haven’t read it yet. I read Carpenters Story it was good.

As Chris May reminded me in a recent post, Lovelines is a great album.
It was incredibly difficult to locate a vinyl LP at the time, so I purchased 2 cassette tapes (upon release date).
It was great to read the positive review in Rolling Stone (at the time).
But, it was infuriating to see almost NO chart action for the album, nor heavy promotion.
I wonder if anyone knows why the album got no "inner sleeve."
A&M records was in transition, Richard Carpenter was busy with the big Movie,
but the album turned out amazingly well for all that.
One of my top five albums.

As Chris May reminded me in a recent post, Lovelines is a great album.
It was incredibly difficult to locate a vinyl LP at the time, so I purchased 2 cassette tapes (upon release date).
It was great to read the positive review in Rolling Stone (at the time).
But, it was infuriating to see almost NO chart action for the album, nor heavy promotion.
I wonder if anyone knows why the album got no "inner sleeve."
A&M records was in transition, Richard Carpenter was busy with the big Movie,
but the album turned out amazingly well for all that.
One of my top five albums.

In a local used record shop I’ve found every album except Offering and Lovelines, their two bookends. Vinyl was going out by 1989, right? That might explain why copies were/are scarce.

Back
Top Bottom