Carpenters Appear on Della talk show December 4, 1969

Malu Makana

The Fidler Angel
Found reference to The Carpenters appearing on the Della show December 4,1969 on TV.com. It says that all episodes have been deleted. But I found some Utube videos of other artists performances from the show. Wondering if 12/4/69 appearance is out there. Or if there are any details, like what songs they performed, were they interviewed? Apologies if this has already been done. Couldn't find a thread.

If it says that the episodes were deleted that would mean the masters were wiped and recorded over or thrown out. Anything from 69 would be on kinescope that someone recorded off their TV screen.

If anyone has a copy of the Della Reese appearance, it would be Richard.
That is if he was given a copy (or made a kinescope copy). Remember in 1969 U-Matic tape recorders were only being demonstrated by Sony, they wouldn’t be on the market until 1971 and Beta & VHS were still years away. And the only other videotape out at the time was a few open reel-to-reel formats, like the Quad 2-inch or the EIAJ.

Good point. I know that Richard has the bulk of their appearances on videotape (I.e.) Grammys, Carol Burnett, Ed Sullivan, etc. He’s talked about it in interviews. He got copies somehow during their heyday. The question is does he have copies from the master? And how deep does his library go?

It wouldn't surprise me if A&M or Richard filmed the segment as a teaching moment being it was the first talk show appearance I am aware of. Particularly if they were actually interviewed during the segment. The available utube clips of the show are in black and white and low quality, so if he has 2" copies he probably wont release them.
To bad, the Tech to restore old media is getting relatively inexpensive. Probably wouldn't be worth the trouble unless he did the whole library and sold DVDs. That would be great.
:frolic:

It wouldn't surprise me if A&M or Richard filmed the segment as a teaching moment being it was the first talk show appearance I am aware of. Particularly if they were actually interviewed during the segment. The available utube clips of the show are in black and white and low quality, so if he has 2" copies he probably wont release them.
To bad, the Tech to restore old media is getting relatively inexpensive. Probably wouldn't be worth the trouble unless he did the whole library and sold DVDs. That would be great.
:frolic:
A&M & Richard May not even have the original copies anymore, in terms of the 2-inch Quad or whatever. If the do have them I wouldn’t be surprised if they had them run off to a digital videotape in the 90’s. Like with the “Perry Como Christmas Show” DVD or the “Christmas Memories” DVD, I wouldn’t be surprised if the specials were dubbed to Digital Betacam or DVCPRO25/50 back in the 90’s and the DVD’s were mastered from those (the “Perry Como” one was probably done in 1999/2000 when Richard requested the audio for the medley, while the Carpenters specials were probably done for the “Close To You” special). Back in the 90’s, other smaller companies like DIC, transferred their back catalogues to Digital Videotape and threw out their old analog copies to save costs on storage (bigger companies like Universal & Paramount could afford to store both the old analog masters and the new digital masters). Also, from my experience, and it’s why my cost to transfer U-Matic & Betacam SP is higher than VHS & Betamax, is that when I transfer a lot of times the tapes will shed in the machine, and I will have to clean the machine before I try again.

I wouldn’t say that the tech is getting cheaper, since parts are wearing out on those old video vtr’s, and the manufacturers are not making new ones, so there’s less supply.

Last edited:
Found reference to The Carpenters appearing on the Della show December 4,1969 on TV.com. It says that all episodes have been deleted. But I found some Utube videos of other artists performances from the show. Wondering if 12/4/69 appearance is out there. Or if there are any details, like what songs they performed, were they interviewed? Apologies if this has already been done. Couldn't find a thread.
All I've been able to find in the available online newspapers was who the other guests on the show were that night (no further details unfortunately) :

TV listing from the Press-Telegram (Long Beach), December 4, 1969

Back
Top Bottom