RPO 2?

ullalume

Hello all,

First off don't get excited. . .I know as much as you do as to whether this album will happen. But what I thought might be fun is if we list what we feel the album might contain. Now I don't mean our personal favourites. . . I mean putting yourself in Richard's head and making the choices he might make. Let's keep it to 18 tracks, like the first.

Here's mine, chronologically

1) Eve
2)Let me be the one
3)A Place to Hideaway
4)A Song 4 U
5)Bless the Beasts
6)It's Gonna Take Some Time
7)I won't Last a Day
8)Crystal Lullaby
9)Sing
10)Only Yesterday
11)Solitaire
12)You
13)All You Get From Love
14)You're The One
15)Where Do I Go From Here
16)Those Good Old Dreams
17)Now
18)Overture - he could take the gorgeous Close To You instrumental that begins the Singles 69-73 and lavish it up.

There's mine. We know Love Song and Dreams are close to being in the can and he stated how he wants Now on there. Obviously Universal will want all hits on there, however minor, though I think Richard will fight the inclusion of Kind of Hush. With You. . .a pretty song in need of a remix, he could just as easily go with Sandy. . . a track he seems to love plus is written my him so royalties.

I don't know if this is a thing yet, but he's mentioned part 2 a couple of times and the album did do well in the UK. Had it just charted on the release it wouldn't be a viable fiscal property, but with it's Mother's Day re-entry into the top 10 I think we could be looking at a Dec 2020 release.

Looking forward to hearing your selections guys.

Neil

I really want a second RPO ! And we know Richard does too. He obviously enjoyed being back into the music, getting to write the arrangements, conduct such a huge orchestra in an iconic studio, using new technologies and enjoying the success (and touring?). It has performed okay in Japan and Australia, and was very successful in the UK, being certified gold and reaching the Top 10 on two separate occasions (December & March) it got quite a bit of attention on radio and tv. So all we need now is Universal to give it the green light.

These lists are fun to create and imagine what it would sound like. Here's my prediction of what is most likely.

-- Overture
01. Only Yesterday
02. Now
03. Sing
04. It's Going To Take Some Time
05. Sweet Sweet Smile
06. Those Good Old Dreams
07. I Can Dream Can't I?
08. All You Get From Love Is A Love Song
09. Santa Claus Is Coming To Town
10. I Won't Last A Day Without You
11. Bless The Beasts And Children
12. Solitaire
13. Eve
14. (A Place To) Hideaway
15. Desperado
16. There's A Kind of Hush
17. Let Me Be The One
18. Look To Your Dreams
19. Calling Occupants of Interplanetary Craft

How about
1) Im caught between goodbye and I love you
2) one more time
3) let me be the one
4) love me for what i am
5) reason to believe
6) a song for you
7) leave yesterday behind
8) now
9) crescent noon
10) you're the one
11) a place to hideaway
12) only yesterday
13) crystal lullaby
14) road ode
15) one love
16) sometimes
17) eve
18) maybe its you
Bonus track) something's missing

Imagine the ending of a song for you being replaced with the reprise that would sound beautiful. Karen's Haunting vocals at their best.

If Richard or Universal decided for an RPO 2...I really hope Richard does more album cuts. I would love to see You're The One, One More Time and Tryin' To Get The Feeling Again.

I would also love to hear "Look To Your Dreams" with orchestra as the final send off to close the album.
Karen saying "Look to your dreams and tomorrow may be...better for you and me"
I need that more than ever right now.

He could use that fancy new technology to remove the sound of the page turning! :D
If I could take a guess...
RPO 2 would be released first with the page turn on CD and then further tweaks would occur and the page turn would suddenly disappear but that would only be available on a digital download but never on CD. Of course when you got to the vinyl it would be so rough and clicky and poppy that you couldn’t tell if you had the page turn or not. So that first un-tweaked version on CD would be a rare find. :laugh:

Last edited:
How about PMP, since that was only a bonus track on one of the previous incarnations? Plus, it is the only "number one" hit left off (most of the incarnations) of the first effort.

How about PMP, since that was only a bonus track on one of the previous incarnations? Plus, it is the only "number one" hit left off (most of the incarnations) of the first effort.
I was thinking that. Only things that stopped me including it was 1) Richard's stated how it didnt fit in part 1 so was pleased it was a bonus and 2) its inclusion may cause some contractual violation with the Japanese distributors of part 1.

That said it would certainly help marketing since without it the only big top 5 hits left are sing and only yesterday.

I really want a second RPO ! And we know Richard does too. He obviously enjoyed being back into the music, getting to write the arrangements, conduct such a huge orchestra in an iconic studio, using new technologies and enjoying the success (and touring?). It has performed okay in Japan and Australia, and was very successful in the UK, being certified gold and reaching the Top 10 on two separate occasions (December & March) it got quite a bit of attention on radio and tv. So all we need now is Universal to give it the green light.

These lists are fun to create and imagine what it would sound like. Here's my prediction of what is most likely.

-- Overture
01. Only Yesterday
02. Now
03. Sing
04. It's Going To Take Some Time
05. Sweet Sweet Smile
06. Those Good Old Dreams
07. I Can Dream Can't I?
08. All You Get From Love Is A Love Song
09. Santa Claus Is Coming To Town
10. I Won't Last A Day Without You
11. Bless The Beasts And Children
12. Solitaire
13. Eve
14. (A Place To) Hideaway
15. Desperado
16. There's A Kind of Hush
17. Let Me Be The One
18. Look To Your Dreams
19. Calling Occupants of Interplanetary Craft
I like that you included Santa Claus cuz I feel K's vocals in 1974 were astonishingly perfect.

If there's a second one, I don't really care what songs are on it, I just have a few general requests:

- No Christmas songs, or if you must include one, put it at the end, don't ruin "non-Christmas" listening sessions.
- Don't include Please Mr. Postman because people would just gripe about how they already bought it once
- Please don't include Calling Occupants, but if you must, please PLEASE just start it with the song and leave out the "All Hit Radio" stuff.

If there's a second one, I don't really care what songs are on it, I just have a few general requests:

- No Christmas songs, or if you must include one, put it at the end, don't ruin "non-Christmas" listening sessions.
- Don't include Please Mr. Postman because people would just gripe about how they already bought it once
- Please don't include Calling Occupants, but if you must, please PLEASE just start it with the song and leave out the "All Hit Radio" stuff.

Generally agree, except for the PMP condition. Not everyone had access to that "bonus track." It would be nice to not have to hunt it down. People are already griping whether Richard did too little (not enough RPO) or too much (Goodbye to Love). If Richard listened to every gripe, the project would be shelved!

It’s too bad that no physical 45’s had been released. If they had maybe Postman could’ve been a double-A side with TTR or MCD.

- No Christmas songs, or if you must include one, put it at the end, don't ruin "non-Christmas" listening sessions

Blending “Merry Christmas Darling” with “Baby It’s You” was the biggest mistake on the first set. I loved what Richard did with their Beatles cover and would have loved a clean opening/ending version for personal playlists. Unfortunately that’s not possible with the segue. Having the Christmas song smack bang in the middle of the non Christmas tracks was also a mistake. I’d have kept it as the bonus track and “Postman” for a future set.

Back
Top Bottom