Heard Carpenters

Sleigh Ride played twice last week on Smooth. They anticipated the abrupt ending on both occasions, and intercepted the segue before It’s Christmas Time could begin to play. Smooth really promoting Carpenters, played almost every day. Not just Christmas songs, selections from all their hits.

At 10:15AM PST I heard Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas on Mix96.1 over-the-air out of Sacramento. Karen's vocals on this song just soars! It's nice to know that Karen's beautiful voice lives on and on...They are definitely playing a lot more Carpenters material for the holiday season these last couple of years.

I haven’t heard any Carpenters Christmas music here in Eastern Ontario on the radio. Actually I’ve heard very little “Golden Era” (50’s to 80’s) Christmas music. It’s mostly been newer groups that recorded the older tracks (like I’ve heard a lot more covers of WHAM’s “Last Christmas” this year than WHAM’s 1984 recording).

5 SELECT are showing Karen Carpenter-Goodbye toLove & Carpenters Greatest Hits from 12.30 am tomorrow early hours. I wish they would show. The Karen Carpenter Story again. It’s a good 5 years since it was last shown here in the U.K.

I wish they would show The Karen Carpenter Story again. It’s a good 5 years since it was last shown here in the U.K.

The last time I saw it aired here in the UK was on the True Movies channel, which has now been rebranded as Sony Movies. If it’s going to turn up anywhere again I’d say it would be there. I keep a look out for it occasionally.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sue
Great news! Nostalgia radio channel here in Finland is now including Carpenters Yesterday Once More on their promomedley reel, that plays occasionally on their channel. I heard it today while I was driving with my bf on our geocaching trip. Also, we heard Merry Christmas Darling twice a week before christmas - once on Nostalgia, and other time on the seasonal christmas music channel, that plays every year from november to december.

Just watched will smith and Tom Holland (Spider-Man)’s spies in disguise with my kids. And the first few lines of close to you was used with comic effect. Not the original carpenters version. I wonder if they approached Richard and if he said no.

For this weekend's replay of American Top 40 Countdown with Casey Kasem on Sirius Radio's "70s on 7" channel, the selected week was January 25th, 1975; of course, all you smarties out there know that was the week "Please Mr. Postman" hit #1 on Billboard's chart! The program is aired a few times on Sirius over the weekend, and after several failed attempts during my car travels, I finally managed to hear the wonderful recording at #1 this morning by running back out my parked car and turning on the radio! My good sport wife could only shake her head at me, as she was not surprised after living and putting up with a dedicated and loyal (maybe her term is 'fanatical') Carpenters' fan for over 30 years now! :laugh: Ah, what poignant memories and what a high career point for our beloved duo...

I heard it too, and felt the same excitement! I can remember listening to my transistor radio in 1975 as it was first aired. It’s interesting how memories can return with the same original emotion.

Just heard the ‘72 album version of “Top Of The World “ on Kings Radio 103.3 from the very tiny town of Lindsay, Ca. Where olive trees outnumber people by 1000’s. It’s a station that is owed by a private trust, and only plays music from the 40’s- about 1973. Vocal artists and popular instruments from those years. I have an antenna on my roof to get the weak signal, as it’s about 70 miles away from where I live. Unusual that it was the album version. It made my day!

All you get from love is a love song this morning on compass in ne lincolnshire this morning, great to hear on the radio again, very lucky here as my local radio station plays lots of tunes not normally heard. Played solitaire recently which I have not heard on the radio for years

Great news! Nostalgia radio channel here in Finland is now including Carpenters Yesterday Once More on their promomedley reel, that plays occasionally on their channel. I heard it today while I was driving with my bf on our geocaching trip. Also, we heard Merry Christmas Darling twice a week before christmas - once on Nostalgia, and other time on the seasonal christmas music channel, that plays every year from november to december.
Quoting myself to tell that actually pretty much the same happened last sunday, except now they played Mr. Postman and the clip was shorter, about 5 seconds. And it's radio Nostalgia, not nostalgia radio.

Back
Top Bottom