Herb Alpert interviewed on KFBK, Sacramento (Thursday, September 5, 2019)

Boy, am I late to the party!! Mike Hagerty, co-host with Kitty on the 4 o'clock news following the John McGinness program, correct?! I am pretty-much tuned in to KFBK all day long!!! First time I have seen this thread, otherwise I would never have known.

Boy, am I late to the party!! Mike Hagerty, co-host with Kitty on the 4 o'clock news following the John McGinness program, correct?! I am pretty-much tuned in to KFBK all day long!!! First time I have seen this thread, otherwise I would never have known.

Well, Carpe diem, I was until the 15th of January, when I got caught in iHeart’s nationwide layoff of 1,500 people. But I had a great six-plus years at KFBK. Kitty is a treasure and will do the news solo and John and Pat are great guys, and I’m proud to call them friends, as well as to have been on the same team.

Well, Carpe diem, I was until the 15th of January, when I got caught in iHeart’s nationwide layoff of 1,500 people. But I had a great six-plus years at KFBK. Kitty is a treasure and will do the news solo and John and Pat are great guys, and I’m proud to call them friends, as well as to have been on the same team.

Sorry to hear that Mike. Having been "downsized" a few times in my working life, I know exactly how it feels...Well, good luck to you on your future endeavors. :)

I'm so sorry Michael I too wish you the very best in your future Endeavors getting Caught in the Layoff Crossfire has to Really Bite. I know it would devastate me personally.

I'm so sorry Michael I too wish you the very best in your future Endeavors getting Caught in the Layoff Crossfire has to Really Bite. I know it would devastate me personally.
Bobberman: Thank you. I've actually chosen to begin my process at "acceptance" on this one. It's not my first rodeo (no surprise after 49 years in the business), and it's working a lot better this way.

Yes, they let me (and 1,499 other dedicated broadcasters) go. But they:

• Gave me a job when I needed one.
  • Brought me home to California.
  • Promoted me seven times in four years.
  • Allowed me to be me on the radio, in afternoon drive, on a 50,000 watt heritage radio station, for three-plus years.
  • Introduced me to co-workers who will likely be some of my best friends for the rest of my life (including the people who had to take me into the room and give me the bad news).
It's very hard for me to get too upset about it. When you're invited to a fabulous dinner party, nobody's promising to feed you for life. My personal services contract specified a severance much more generous than the typical two weeks and that's being honored.

Michael--all the best with your future plans. This past month in San Diego there were massive radio layoffs of local DJ's and local talk show hosts. In the San Diego Reader dated Jan. 28, 2020 it said: "The other recent layoffs are part of a nationwide trend. The two major radio conglomerates iHeart Radio (formerly Clear Channel) and Entercom are increasingly replacing live and local air talent with syndicated shows or national formats." How sad.

Michael--all the best with your future plans. This past month in San Diego there were massive radio layoffs of local DJ's and local talk show hosts. In the San Diego Reader dated Jan. 28, 2020 it said: "The other recent layoffs are part of a nationwide trend. The two major radio conglomerates iHeart Radio (formerly Clear Channel) and Entercom are increasingly replacing live and local air talent with syndicated shows or national formats." How sad.

San Diego is getting hit with a triple whammy---the iHeart layoffs, Entercom's moves and the sale of KFMB AM and FM. San Diego was once, and for a long time, one of the best radio markets in the country---in fact, there was a period in the late 70s where I argued that San Diego was doing better radio than Los Angeles.

Thanks for your kind words about the future. A lot of applications in and still waiting. Right now, the only thing on my calendar---and I'm very much looking forward to it---is seeing Herb and Lani perform in Napa in just under three weeks.

Back
Top Bottom