I Guess I Just Lost My Head

For me, this tune could have been played on every smooth jazz station. Was Bob James involved with this? I love it.

Bob James’ contribution to the album included keyboards, orchestration and arrangements but strangely none on this particular track.

Oh wow that's so interesting. While we're on the subject, her solo tracks could be played on places like Satellite right? Is there anything stopping, lets say for example, some smooth Jazz station on Sirius playing something of hers? The album was released so it's fair game?

This is one of my favorites off the solo album. It was written by Rob Mounsey. Mounsey played piano and did some production on this track. He went on to play with smooth jazz artists like Diana Krall, Steve Khan, David Sanborn, and George Benson. I posted an interview on this site with him discussing working with Karen. See here: Rob Mounsey Discusses Working with Karen Carpenter

^^Thanks for reminding me of that interview. I have not listened to this song for a while, so I had to give it a spin this morning.
Karen's background vocals are great in this song. She does hit higher notes near the end of the song,
when she overlays with vocals phrases like:
"I've got that feelin' inside" (2:59)
"I need your lovin' tonight" (3:03)
"you've been making me crazy" (3:15).

In any event, this song has never been a favorite of mine (oops....being negative here).
It is not bad by any stretch of the imagination, I simply believe it is less adventurous than other solo efforts.
It is an interesting song, though, not really disco or rock or pop or country....more jazzy, but barely so.

This was one of the "sneaky" song on Karen's solo album for me. On first listen, it didn't register much at all, but sometime, years later, it grabbed me as one of those songs that as it's going by, you want to immediately hit repeat. I like it a great deal today.

I loved the interview with Rob Mounsey in Rick Henry's The Carpenters Online Interviews. In it he talked about this track and Karen's contribution to it:

"I was so happy that she wanted to do my song...The only problem was that it was really a man's song to a woman...The second line was "I was only watching the flower in your hair...". Not being a congenital lyricist I was stumped for a substitute line and it was Karen who came up with the "only trying to memorize you there", which I thought was okay and probably the best thing we would come up with".

I think Karen's lyric suggestion was more than okay! It fits perfectly with the preceding line "I really don't mean to stare".

I loved the interview with Rob Mounsey in Rick Henry's The Carpenters Online Interviews. In it he talked about this track and Karen's contribution to it:

"I was so happy that she wanted to do my song...The only problem was that it was really a man's song to a woman...The second line was "I was only watching the flower in your hair...". Not being a congenital lyricist I was stumped for a substitute line and it was Karen who came up with the "only trying to memorize you there", which I thought was okay and probably the best thing we would come up with".

I think Karen's lyric suggestion was more than okay! It fits perfectly with the preceding line "I really don't mean to stare".
It’s one of my favorite lines (phrase) in the song.

The line itself, "Guess I Just Lost My Head" is kinda silly, cute, kitchy, corny at first which is what made me originally kinda fluff it off. But when you really listen to what is going on, it's fantastic. I could ABSOLUTELY hear a station playing George Benson Gimme the Night, then playing something like this. It's the right balance of Karen kitchiness and adventurous moving into a different genre. My god she could do everything.

Back
Top Bottom