CarpenterS Fanclub Correspondences

Amazing!! I lost my letters from Evelyn when I moved from South Africa to the UK. She was such a treasure. She was so patient answering mine, and so many other, young fan's questions. And so generous with her time. She was a huge asset to the CarpenterS team.

Just saw this additional photograph over on the Newville facebook group by our fellow member Jeff Newberg. Dated November 29, 1983 and written by Rosina in response to his letter to the fanclub about VOTH, it's interesting to note her comments about the solo album and the fact there was still an album's worth of material left.

86971320_2566477910264849_2863947999006949376_o.jpg

Interesting...enough material and change of heart and mind? No wonder there has been so much gossip over the years. Did the buried treasures list was really just old news but new to some?

Well, enough years have passed to make it mute by now.

Amazing!! I lost my letters from Evelyn when I moved from South Africa to the UK. She was such a treasure. She was so patient answering mine, and so many other, young fan's questions. And so generous with her time. She was a huge asset to the CarpenterS team.
Evelyn certainly was. She and I had Lhasa Apso' at the same time, although hers were much larger. We would trade photos and stories about them and also about Karen and Richard. What a fun lady.

Thank you, Jeff, for taking the time to show us some of your correspondence. Fascinating, isn't it, that all of your letters are handwritten. Harold, Evelyn, later Rosina. I didn't belong to the fan club nor any other fan club devoted to a musical act. How rare is it that time was taken to write someone personally and not just send some carbon copy of a form letter to every fan? To reply and offer answers to a fan's questions seems unique.

How difficult of a process would it be to have all the fan club newsletters available here for all to access? I seem to recall an old thread, which I now cannot find, where Murray had scanned all his newsletters and provided a link to view them. Or is it a copyright issue? Perhaps after Neil's efforts to bring us the complete recording resource another such project would be too Sisyphean.

Thank you, Jeff, for taking the time to show us some of your correspondence. Fascinating, isn't it, that all of your letters are handwritten. Harold, Evelyn, later Rosina. I didn't belong to the fan club nor any other fan club devoted to a musical act. How rare is it that time was taken to write someone personally and not just send some carbon copy of a form letter to every fan? To reply and offer answers to a fan's questions seems unique.

How difficult of a process would it be to have all the fan club newsletters available here for all to access? I seem to recall an old thread, which I now cannot find, where Murray had scanned all his newsletters and provided a link to view them. Or is it a copyright issue? Perhaps after Neil's efforts to bring us the complete recording resource another such project would be too Sisyphean.
I have every original newsletter.
I would be happy to jump in and help if someone would tell me how.
And Harry, would this be okay?

That would be a fantastic idea! I'd be happy to help, too.

What a great addition to the Resource that would be. I know it's a lot of work, but those newsletters were full of so much insider detail and myriad stories and memories. And, by all accounts, Karen was very involved with those newsletters and kept notes/journals of each trip they took that she shared with Evelyn. Glad she did!

Last edited:
This is too cool, Jeff! Thanks for sharing with us. Would love to see more letters.

Bob

I will get to work on that. They are amusing in many ways. I was always the first one to the mailbox at home. Anticipating these friendly exchanges left me feeling pretty special. As proud as I was, I had to be very cautious who knew my musical proclivities.

Yes, I love the Internet Archive! Read all the letters there a while back. If I recall correctly, there are a couple missing there, so I filled them in from here.

Back
Top Bottom