Anyone read this?

Never claimed that Hall & Oates were superior to the Carpenters. I do feel that they have become more iconic over the years which is what the article was about. If Karen was still with us, myself and others might have a different perspective. To say that my musical judgement needs to be reconsidered seems to be a little harsh. If I remember correctly, the Rolling Stone Magazine was not friendly to either of them during the height of their popularity.

I "love" the Carpenters and they have been my favorite since the age of 13 and remain so 50 years later. I "like" Hall & Oates along with many other artists and I've always tried to be objective when it comes to judging music, automobiles and sports. I agree with Yamaguchi when it comes to the international success between the two duos and realize the amazing impact the Carpenters have had abroad and they have an edge in overall record sales.

Hall & Oates were relevant during both decades (70's and 80's) and surpassed the Carpenters in most Top 40 categories with the exception of the Adult Contemporary charts. Carpenters had a #8 Counrty hit, H&O had a #1 R&B hit. Overall success in the United States to date would lean towards H&O in my opinion. They are still actively touring and selling out mid size venues around the country and "Daryl's House" brought Daryl a new level of respect among musicians along with induction into the RRHOF for the duo.

Never claimed that Hall & Oates were superior to the Carpenters. I do feel that they have become more iconic over the years which is what the article was about. If Karen was still with us, myself and others might have a different perspective. To say that my musical judgement needs to be reconsidered seems to be a little harsh. If I remember correctly, the Rolling Stone Magazine was not friendly to either of them during the height of their popularity.

I "love" the Carpenters and they have been my favorite since the age of 13 and remain so 50 years later. I "like" Hall & Oates along with many other artists and I've always tried to be objective when it comes to judging music, automobiles and sports. I agree with Yamaguchi when it comes to the international success between the two duos and realize the amazing impact the Carpenters have had abroad and they have an edge in overall record sales.

Hall & Oates were relevant during both decades (70's and 80's) and surpassed the Carpenters in most Top 40 categories with the exception of the Adult Contemporary charts. Carpenters had a #8 Counrty hit, H&O had a #1 R&B hit. Overall success in the United States to date would lean towards H&O in my opinion. They are still actively touring and selling out mid size venues around the country and "Daryl's House" brought Daryl a new level of respect among musicians along with induction into the RRHOF for the duo.
Portlander, I do aplogize for my unnecessarily cranky response to your Hall & Oates comment -- years of defending the C's against disparagement has made me too thin-skinned on the subject. Of course H&O were a terrific duo, and your opinion is entirely valid. I would also place Seals & Crofts way up there in the duos category; "Summer Breeze" alone would place them among the greats. To borrow a phrase from a really cranky old guy (Mao), "Let a hundred flowers bloom, let a hundred schools of [musical] thought contend. Best.

Ah, Seals And Crofts were great. They actually opened for Carpenters on one of the early tours. What a night that had to be! My personal favorite is ‘Hummingbird’. The melody, lead vocals, harmonies and orchestration are just chill-inducing every time.

Ah, Seals And Crofts were great. They actually opened for Carpenters on one of the early tours. What a night that had to be! My personal favorite is ‘Hummingbird’. The melody, lead vocals, harmonies and orchestration are just chill-inducing every time.
And I would add, "We May Never Pass This Way Again," to the S&C list. They were interesting guys as well as great musicians.

I can see her point. We all are our own judge to our own tastes and should not let the reviews of others interfere with what highlights our own senses. I enjoy easy music better than most any other and Karen and Richard did it better than most. Seldom do I enjoy heavier sounds which are The Rolling Stones review crowd and those sounds don’t enter my world. I’d rather listen to classical music and when in the pop feeling, the Carpenters do it best. Even after hearing others for a few months, one listen to Karen’s voice brings me back!

I can see her point, too. After all the list is "most iconic" musical duos. In that description, yes, Carpenters are deservedly No. 1.

He’s Only Just Begun: Paul Williams, Writer of Hits for the Carpenters, Three Dog Night, Others, Will Get Johnny Mercer Award

I have been spending more time at home since the first of the year. If you grow weary of my links to Carpenters-related articles just tell me to knock it off. Others here may have known Williams wrote "Just An Old-Fashioned Love Song", but it was new to me. (Amusingly, at the bottom of the article is a daily poll: Did you vote in the RRHOF? Boxes for Dave Matthews was robbed and Pat Benatar was robbed. No box for Carpenters have been robbed each year they have been eligible.)

He’s Only Just Begun: Paul Williams, Writer of Hits for the Carpenters, Three Dog Night, Others, Will Get Johnny Mercer Award

I have been spending more time at home since the first of the year. If you grow weary of my links to Carpenters-related articles just tell me to knock it off. Others here may have known Williams wrote "Just An Old-Fashioned Love Song", but it was new to me. (Amusingly, at the bottom of the article is a daily poll: Did you vote in the RRHOF? Boxes for Dave Matthews was robbed and Pat Benatar was robbed. No box for Carpenters have been robbed each year they have been eligible.)

At the end of the article it states "
PS Fans of “Marvelous Mrs. Maisel” will note that the Palladino’s used Paul’s own recording of his “Bless the Beasts and the Children” at the end of an episode this past season." I believe Mr. Williams did not write this song, correct? Or am I misreading this?

PS Fans of “Marvelous Mrs. Maisel” will note that the Palladino’s used Paul’s own recording of his “Bless the Beasts and the Children” at the end of an episode this past season." I believe Mr. Williams did not write this song, correct? Or am I misreading this?
[/QUOTE]

Nice catch; I glossed over that. You are correct; it was written by Barry De Vorzon and Perry Botkin, Jr. Perhaps a case of clumsy writing? I think they may have meant his recording of the song, not necessarily his composition?? Unnecessary pronoun placement?

Nice catch; I glossed over that. You are correct; it was written by Barry De Vorzon and Perry Botkin, Jr. Perhaps a case of clumsy writing? I think they may have meant his recording of the song, not necessarily his composition?? Unnecessary pronoun placement?
[/QUOTE]

That's what I was wondering. Bad grammar? Or does the author of the article think Mr. Williams wrote the song?

This is a very good read and it gave me goosebumps multiple times while i read it.
Great article. There is a picture of Karen with the red background that says Karen Carpenter, 1981. Is that photo date correct?
I find it to be an incredibly lazy attempt at journalism, simply re-publishing their old article from ages ago.

Last edited:
I find it to be an incredibly lazy attempt at journalism, simply re-publishing their old article from ages ago.
Agree entirely that the article is lousy. Just another one of those lazy rehashes of the anorexic aspect and the bogus troubled family nonsense. Karen's life was extraordinary because of musical greatness, not anorexia or family problems (she loved her family). The writer didn't even bother to update data about Carpenters' record sales, which he grossly understates at 80 million. The story is the voice, the music, and the basic decency.

Regarding People Magazine's "Tribute" to Karen Carpenter.
Ask yourself this:
How many other news or journalistic outlets RECOGNIZED Karen Carpenter's birthday AT ALL yesterday ?
I scoured the net yesterday looking. Not much to find.
So--take IT when, and where, you can get it !
It may be a "lazy" attempt, but
at least it was SOMETHING. Anything is better than NOTHING.
This is 2020.....we are lucky to have ANYTHING at this point in time.
Yes, I apologize for CAPS, but, gee, give some credit where it is due.

By the way, PEOPLE was one of the FEW outlets to give KAREN their COVER story in February 1983.
Give them a break, they did a LOT to promote THE CARPENTERS through the years.

Back
Top Bottom