What A&M item has been impossible to find?

Has anyone here ever found the elusive Pisano & Ruff LP, Under The Blanket? I'd had it once...

Then there's Joanne Vent The Black & White Is The Blues... It does show up occasionally, but Still-Sealed? That is how I'd once seen it, but after the series of Used copies I'd burned through, just couldn't cough up more dough...

Ditto for Steve Young's Rock Salt & Nails... And maybe the eponymous album by Seatrain... (The two Churls albums, too?)

-- Dave

Has anyone here ever found the elusive Pisano & Ruff LP, Under The Blanket? I'd had it once...

PISANO & RUFF? Not just the LP, but the CD too (Japanese 24-bit mastering release, UICY-3344, from 2002 or so). There was a later CD reissue in Japan that had both stereo & mono versions on it, I believe. 2015 version here: http://www.amazon.com/Under-Blanket-PISANO-RUFF/dp/B00VXMUN7Y/

The LP I found years ago in a $1.00 section of a record store - well, $1.56 actually, scrawled on the front cover. LP was a mint, white label promo copy. I had never heard of the LP, but saw the name "Pisano" on the cover, and an A&M catalog number in the upper right (SP-4276), so I dug deeper into the credits and saw Herb Alpert, Nick Ceroli, Julius Wechter, Jose Soares, and figured this was a keeper.

There was nothing remotely "Tijuana Brass-ish" on the album. It fit more into the quiet-type albums that A&M put out in the early '70s, like Lani's SUN DOWN LADY, Michel Columbier's WINGS, and even a number of the quiet tracks on SUMMERTIME and WARM.

Harry

Last edited:
I've recently found both of the singles released very early in A&M's history by The Kenjolairs.

A&M 704 is The Story Of An Evergreen Tree / Little White Lies
A&M 708 is Such A Good Night For Dreaming / When It Comes To Loving You

Gotta love Discogs for these kinds of purchases.

Does anyone have a copy or does anyone know of a website where I could hear "Wincle Lamoyan Coan", the elusive 45 by the Baja Marimba Band? Sure, I'd like to own a copy, but I'd really just be happy enough to hear the damn thing! Every year or so I check on youtube, but it's not there. Does anyone know about how many copies of this 45 were pressed?

I've never owned a copy of that single. That one isn't listed on Discogs yet either.

Does anyone ..know of a website where I could hear "Wincle Lamoyan Coan", the elusive 45 by the Baja Marimba Band?

I found this on 45 cat:
"From Billboard
Jun 27, 1964:
Station Promotions making headlines these days: KSFO (San Francisco) deejay Herb Kennedy asked his listeners to write him, in 25 words or less, “Why I Would Like Herb Alpert to Write a Song for Me.” The two-week contest awarded 10 runners-up copies of the Baja Marimba Band album. The winner received a song written, recorded and released on A&M Records on the Almo label. Of course, the winner will participate in the royalties of the net sales of the single at the rate of 1 per cent. The name of the winner is Wincle Lamoyan Coan. Alpert and KSFO program director Al Newman made the choice based on the entrant’s unusual name. "

It took me over 20 years to find Herb's Italian version of "This Guy..."- then I saw several more pop up! Baja's Canadian A&M single, "Man, That's Coffee" is very rare. Took me years to find as well.

I’d say the cassette single for Karen Carpenter’s “If I Had You/The Uninvited Guest” is scarce. The one-track promo CD seems to be the common version.

Also the Canadian promo for the edited Carpenters “Calling Occupants” with Side A being in mono and Side B being stereo is rare.

For me, and I just remembered this--I'd like to find a sealed, new old stock Roger Nichols & The Small Circle of Friends. I did find one several years ago that sounds excellent, except that it has a nasty pinch warp on the edge that was due to heat. (The wrinkled shrink over the jacket should have been the giveaway.) A shame because it's a really nice sounding pressing.

The Japanese 45 "Who Do You Love?" by Richard Carpenter is particularly rare and difficult to find. Release date: 21 February 1988.

R-6728476-1541459271-6891.jpeg.jpg

The Japanese 45 "Who Do You Love?" by Richard Carpenter is particularly rare and difficult to find. Release date: 21 February 1988.

R-6728476-1541459271-6891.jpeg.jpg
That one’s pretty easy to find compared to the Australian “Calling Your Name/In Love Alone” 45.

Or even the “Slow Dance” 45.

I would like to know is the Christian rock group Hope (A&M 1972) a Canadian group?? I know that the late Jack Richardson (The Guess Who) produced that only album.

Back
Top Bottom