Carpenters rare video clips

I need to reiterate,
these songs were not performed as one medley, the songs were later spliced together:
You can view them separately-- here are two examples-- Wishin' and Hopin' (2:47-3:35) and I Wanna Be Free (7:22-8:17)--

The reason i posted the video was because they were all in one video also to save time so that there would be no reason to look for each video individually. Thank you for sharing.

a big thank you to forum member mr guder ! for sharing it to me from his own DVD collection! i send it via dropbox to Chris may, billy trees and Randy Schmid! if you want the whole special with top of the world here is the link!
VTS_07_1.VOB

enjoy!
have a nice day or night!

Thank you so much. This is one of my favourite performances and my favourite of Karen's looks. I think she looks great in this appearance.

I just wish we had the Carol Burnett Show appearances in such great quality.

a big thank you to forum member mr guder ! for sharing it to me from his own DVD collection! i send it via dropbox to Chris may, billy trees and Randy Schmid! if you want the whole special with top of the world here is the link!
VTS_07_1.VOB

enjoy!

Wow! It's a virtual Who's Who of Carpenters road musicians at that point. The only one missing is Cubby.

Great video! Thanks! One interesting side note to this performance is you'll notice Richard had already created the 'single' introduction before Karen starts singing. 'The Bob Hope Special' we're watching aired in October of 1972....one full year before the single version of 'Top of the World' was released. So, what we're hearing is a work in progress, with the 'single' instrumental intro and then the regular album version continues. That alone makes this video even more unique.

Great video! Thanks! One interesting side note to this performance is you'll notice Richard had already created the 'single' introduction before Karen starts singing. 'The Bob Hope Special' we're watching aired in October of 1972....one full year before the single version of 'Top of the World' was released. So, what we're hearing is a work in progress, with the 'single' instrumental intro and then the regular album version continues. That alone makes this video even more unique.

I was amused by that as well! HA!

Noticed that Jim Squeglia was still a member of the touring band. Read that he was pretty much forced out of the band by Sherwin Bash for his casual interactions with Karen. He was hired as the back up drummer by Richard due to their friendship back in New Haven prior to the family moving to California. He never showed up for rehearsals for the 1973 tour and was fired by phone which led to Cubby O'Brien joining the band. Jim did not like adhering to Richard's strict requirement of performing the songs note for note to replicate how they sounded on the radio but fell in line for the $400 a week job. I wonder if he is still alive and living in Connecticut, am sure he would have some interesting stories to share during the Carpenters rise to stardom!

VTS_07_1.VOB

enjoy!
Wow- what a great piece of video! Is that combo version of TOTW on any compilations? I don't think so.

I found this medley from make your own kind of music. I really like the way karen sings a house is not a home. And wishin and hopin. I also enjoyed listening to traines and boats and planes.

I'm sure this was one I made many years ago when I had a YouTube account that was later closed for breach of copyright! I know a picture I once ceeated and this medley appeared on some bootleg CDs in the past too...

I hadn’t seen that before either. I was a bit surprised at TOTW in 1972, because a year later they sang it again on the fall Bob Hope Special, single version, promoting their new album The Singles 1969-1973. Seeing them perform A Song For You was a huge bonus.
Thank you!!!!

Noticed that Jim Squeglia was still a member of the touring band. Read that he was pretty much forced out of the band by Sherwin Bash for his casual interactions with Karen. He was hired as the back up drummer by Richard due to their friendship back in New Haven prior to the family moving to California. He never showed up for rehearsals for the 1973 tour and was fired by phone which led to Cubby O'Brien joining the band. Jim did not like adhering to Richard's strict requirement of performing the songs note for note to replicate how they sounded on the radio but fell in line for the $400 a week job. I wonder if he is still alive and living in Connecticut, am sure he would have some interesting stories to share during the Carpenters rise to stardom!

I'd forgotten about that part of the story until you mentioned it.

Funny, because yesterday while I was watching him in particular at the tail end of the clip and impressed by how closely he mimicked Hal Blaine's tom fills and cymbal accenting to represent more or less exactly what was on the recording, since they were obviously lip syncing. Clearly he was capable of reproducing it to some degree, but like most musicians, he likely wanted to have some input and his own creative identity.

Chris, any idea if Jim Squeglia is still alive and well? I think you mentioned that Danny Woodhams is living in northern California, what about Gary Sims? After Doug, Tony and Bob's passing there are not many original Carpenter band members remaining which is very sad.

Chris, any idea if Jim Squeglia is still alive and well? I think you mentioned that Danny Woodhams is living in northern California, what about Gary Sims? After Doug, Tony and Bob's passing there are not many original Carpenter band members remaining which is very sad.

I believe Squeglia is still around and living in New Haven.

I've spoken to Danny and he is indeed living up north, as well as Gary who is living in Orange County (CA). Bob, whom I interviewed a couple of years ago along with his wife Joan I believe are still alive and down in Capistrano Beach, but I haven't spoken to either one in a while so I'll have to touch base. :)

I believe Squeglia is still around and living in New Haven.

I've spoken to Danny and he is indeed living up north, as well as Gary who is living in Orange County (CA). Bob, whom I interviewed a couple of years ago along with his wife Joan I believe are still alive and down in Capistrano Beach, but I haven't spoken to either one in a while so I'll have to touch base. :)
Please do! I hope everyone is well. and I'm sure we'd all like to know if they are working on any projects.

I need to reiterate,
these songs were not performed as one medley, the songs were later spliced together:
You can view them separately-- here are two examples-- Wishin' and Hopin' (2:47-3:35) and I Wanna Be Free (7:22-8:17)--

Ended up watching all the Highlights. Great watch. One Love and All I Can Do stand out. If I'm not mistaken, Richard adds some additional piano work on One Love.

Good point, A&M Retro. Good pick-up. I didn't even notice that. By the way, the single was released in Australia and Japan around this time, (October 1972 or just after), but the Australian single version used the album mix, or close to the album mix. I guess that the Japanese single version might have, too. (I've got some Japanese versions, but they're buried away). It hit Number One in Australia at the beginning of 1973, I think about nine months before it was released in the US. It makes sense that Richard was dabbling with ideas of how to present the song as a single around October 1972. By the way, 'Top of the World' was the 14th biggest hit of 1973 in Australia.

Last edited:
I remember either in 1973 or 1974 when the Bob Hope special on NBC had both The Carpenters along with Donny & Marie Osmond (all grown up) in different segments!!

Good point, A&M Retro. Good pick-up. I didn't even notice that. By the way, the single was released in Australia and Japan around this time, (October 1972 or just after), but the Australian single version used the album mix, or close to the album mix. I guess that the Japanese single version might have, too. (I've got some Japanese versions, but they're buried away). It hit Number One in Australia at the beginning of 1973, I think about nine months before it was released in the US. It makes sense that Richard was dabbling with ideas of how to present the song as a single around October 1972. By the way, 'Top of the World' was the 14th biggest hit of 1973 in Australia.
Japan got 4 single releases of Top of The World: 1972 (album mix, #21), 1973 (US single mix #52), 1995 (B-side of I Need To Be In Love (#5) tie-in single from the TV show “Miseinen” & 22 Hits of the Carpenters) and 2003 (#83, Japanese Gold mix).

here you see the white dress is indeed the same as the white house performance!
27fe5c37a3eed086bfb9c7731c9e8466.png
993cafbefc19e957be05b991e166d98a.png

Back
Top Bottom