Carpenters "The Nation's Favourites" compilation coming in the UK

The clip - and the original - is for sure on videotape.
I’d question that, especially for 70’s era footage like this. If it was 70’s era videotape that it was shot on I would expect to see something like the Perry Como or Lawrence Welk show quality. And the colors would be more muted (especially Richard’s banana yellow suit!). The clip may be from videotape but ultimately it came from film.

Theorize all you want. It's from videotape as were all of the Boston Pops shows that aired on PBS back then.

I’m not theorizing. Also in the early- to mid-70’s, a lot of on location shooting was still done on 16mm film. 3/4” Umatic was only starting to become a thing for recording on location. (The First portable U-Matic only hit the market in 1974.) And that video does not look like 70’s U-Matic, or even 2-inch Quad (which would’ve required a huge and expensive installation, and still wouldn’t have produced the quality of video that is seen in that clip).

I just watched it on an actual TV, and yeah, the quality is a lot higher than 70’s era video. It looks more like a 90’s or early-2000’s transfer from 16mm film to DVCPRO or Betacam SX. (Also the video’s in 1.37:1, which, while possible with videotape, from the 70’s highly unlikely after all the composite signal connections the signal would’ve travelled through. 1.33:1 would be the norm.)

Quite frankly that clip looks like it was shot on a camera/vtr from the 90’s or early-2000’s, which is clearly not possible for something from 1974, unless it was a film camera.

Back
Top Bottom