Idea: Limited Edition Offering Reissue

Kristopher

There are millions of Carpenters fans around the world, and many would love to own a copy of Offering for collector purposes even if they didn’t play it.

I think it would be a cool idea to do a vinyl re-issue with the original artwork including the label and original inner sleeve. This would satisfy so many people who can’t find an original in mint condition or those who can’t afford one. I personally think it would sell. I’m sure it would have the same mastering as the Ticket To Ride reissue, but it would be about the nostalgia of having the original album cover for their debut album.

Any thoughts? They already did it on CD as a Mini LP, which was spot on.

I don’t think your average run of the mill fan could tell you that OFFERING was their first album

Plus the value of the ones I and others have found would go way down in price. Some paid quite a bit to buy it. One of the better collectors items to own. Most real fans who want it, will pay a moderate price to get one. There are plenty for sale on EBay most every day. EBay already ruined the value of most rare items as it is. A reissue wouldn’t pay the cost of the pressing. The mini cd was part of the box set. The mini for Ticket To Ride is actually more rare. I added that to my set as a cool addition.

Lol, and by mini, I mean the 30th anniversary edition, not the SHM one from a couple of years ago. That Offering cover picture was a bit of a shock to the system the first time I saw it. They were smart to change the cover. Much more pleasing to the record buyers eyes back then. It was actually the 3rd lp I bought after Carpenters and Close To You, and more out of curiosity than need in 1972. It’s grown on me over the years......

it’s Interesting that the TTR mini says Carpenters 30th Anniversary on the OBI. It came out the same year as the 35th box. It’s catalogue number is 1 higher than Lovelines.
PDCM 9050. TTR PDCM 9051.

I would absolutely LOVE!!!! to get all the songs remixed with stereo piano, cleaned up tracks with the recording software we have now. Close To You was my introduction to Carpenters but I really don't care how people dig at the aged 60's sound it displays to ones ears. To mine, it brings back aural memories of my younger days and a much happier time for me and probably for most of the people here on this forum. I would love to hear the mix of All of My Live Richard used in the Carpenters movie for CBS. That is when I knew something was different about that mix. Yes, it is special that Karen did play the Electric Bass on the original song/recording but that Bassline Joe Osborne laid for the movie and the remix with the DX-7 E piano. Yes, I love that piano and I'm sure millions of people aren't too crazy about those beautiful sounds but I owned an original DX-7 until someone broke into my studio and stole it along with a Korg Triton 88 key workstation. They got away with about $18,000 from my studio but it's much more protected now. I have been forever crazy about those silver sparkle concert toms on her kit and I finally found some. Different colors but hey, real deal and It said on the Ebay site that those two smallest ones were used by one of the drummers that toured with Frank Sinatra. I'll try to get a Pic of my kit on here one day. And of corse Karen inspired me to play drums which I have til this very day. Sorry I slipped off topic but Offering with out takes, all kinds of mixes, remixes, put in a set maybe all on BluRay since that will carry the room and sound everyone will hear and I'd bet my car that wouldn't buy that album a bit more respect with a better mixed and those first four albums would be nice the same way. I have a sealed copy of Offering I got off eBay for about a buck fifty. Still is sealed. That would be my ultimate 50th anniversary gift. To hear where those kids back then would eventually turn into. If they onlly knew. Blessings everyone

Shame others don’t feel the same about the original cover, which I love far more then the sailboat photo. The original artwork to offering has more of that 60’s “earthy” vibe. It has 60’s all over it including the back.

I scanned the original cover and record... both sides. I made my own bootlegged copy using a Ticket To Ride while applying new labels that look realistic. I have 3 copies already but wanted to make a fake one on my own. I even went so far to copy the original inner sleeve for nostalgia sake. (Have too much time on my hands.)

I agree not many would buy it. If there was a limited one time edition 1000-5000 copies only, they would all be purchased. Completely reconstruct the artwork to be a complete replica. Fans would buy them all up especially those who can’t afford a mint original. Perhaps you have a good copy but the cover Is worn with split seams and want a new cover.. placing your original copy inside the new one.

Plus the value of the ones I and others have found would go way down in price. Some paid quite a bit to buy it. One of the better collectors items to own. Most real fans who want it, will pay a moderate price to get one. There are plenty for sale on EBay most every day. EBay already ruined the value of most rare items as it is. A reissue wouldn’t pay the cost of the pressing. The mini cd was part of the box set. The mini for Ticket To Ride is actually more rare. I added that to my set as a cool addition.

They reconstructed the Beatles Yesterday and Today with the Butcher cover... one of the rarest records of all time. The recent reissue hasn’t lowered the value at all.

Last edited:
It would have made more sense to have used the Offering sleeve for the album on the troubled 2017 vinyl reissue series, as that would have offered something a bit different to buyers. But as they didn't, I don't imagine there'd be much drive to put it out as a separate reissue.

A reissue with the original sleeve would undoubtedly cause a drop in the value of original copies though. Whilst some collectors might still want to get a copy of the original album, it would reduce the desirability of the 1969 issue as the different cover is one of its key selling points from a collecting perspective. Prices for Beatles records are a law unto themselves so that isn't really a valid comparison in this respect.

Re the cover, it's not a great photo (and the redone Ticket to Ride sleeve is certainly better), but it's not that bad really. The photo that was used on the cover for the Tan album in Europe is far worse. for instance!

A steamed off copy of Yesterday and Today value $1,200-1500, an original first issue not covered or steamed off, $4,000. Source, Goldmine Record Album Price Guide 7th Edition, 2013. It shows a picture of a sealed copy that sold for $31,510 at auction. A reissue if Offering is a fun idea, but probably would only happen in Japan, if ever. I like the mini cover cd in the box set. It’s novel, and there are plenty of albums for sale on EBay if someone really needs it for their collection. I found all of mine at record swap meets or record stores, way before the internet made it so easy to obtain. Little effort needed anymore. Just a bit of $$.

They value a mint copy of Offering @$80.00 then, and the quad albums @ $25.00 ea. Maybe with a bit more now....

A steamed off copy of Yesterday and Today value $1,200-1500, an original first issue not covered or steamed off, $4,000. Source, Goldmine Record Album Price Guide 7th Edition, 2013. It shows a picture of a sealed copy that sold for $31,510 at auction.

I noticed in one documentary filmed at Richard's home that he has a copy of this album (original cover) framed on one of his walls.

I got to hold a first state butcher cover while working at the radio station. A loyal Beatles listener brought his first-state copy in to let the DJ see it and I got to see and hold it too. Worth many thousands.

OFFERING? Eh. Something around $100 will bring one home, usually.

That’s cool! I just checked mine and the reel says TTR. Oh, well. You have a cool collectors piece. I wonder how many others are like yours? Thanks for sharing.

I got to hold a first state butcher cover while working at the radio station. A loyal Beatles listener brought his first-state copy in to let the DJ see it and I got to see and hold it too. Worth many thousands.

OFFERING? Eh. Something around $100 will bring one home, usually.

I also held a first-state 'butcher cover' at a Beatles convention. It was sealed for $25K! That would have been around 2010. It was once owned by Alan Livingston, who was the President of Capitol Records.

Harry, I wonder if the one you saw was one of his copies? He was smart enough to put 10 copies away for his kids. And they sold a few of them. It goes for much more than $25K today.

It might have been. I seem to recall discussion going in that direction.

And legend has it that label mate Buck Owens saw it at the studio before it was released and demanded 4 boxes of them be taken to his car. He said the cover was disgusting and couldn’t be sold that way. He got them, and handed them out to close colleagues and friends over the years. He was right! I don’t know for a fact that was true. I’ve just heard it from people worked for him where his night club The Crystal Palace, and 2 radio stations are located next door. His studios sit empty now a couple of miles away. He had a major fallout with Capital Records and took ownership of his entire catalogue along with his son Buddy Owens and his protege Susan Raye too.They had thousands of albums stores at the studios. They sell them at the gift shop now.
He also got all his masters and they have been cleaned up, and the CDs are sold there as well. It’s an awesome venue if you ever pass through Bakersfield. Great food and hopefully the concerts will start again soon. Wish I was one of those friends. I’ve seen them at swaps, but very expensive.

Shame others don’t feel the same about the original cover, which I love far more then the sailboat photo. The original artwork to offering has more of that 60’s “earthy” vibe. It has 60’s all over it including the back.

I scanned the original cover and record... both sides. I made my own bootlegged copy using a Ticket To Ride while applying new labels that look realistic. I have 3 copies already but wanted to make a fake one on my own. I even went so far to copy the original inner sleeve for nostalgia sake. (Have too much time on my hands.)

I agree not many would buy it. If there was a limited one time edition 1000-5000 copies only, they would all be purchased. Completely reconstruct the artwork to be a complete replica. Fans would buy them all up especially those who can’t afford a mint original. Perhaps you have a good copy but the cover Is worn with split seams and want a new cover.. placing your original copy inside the new one.

They reconstructed the Beatles Yesterday and Today with the Butcher cover... one of the rarest records of all time. The recent reissue hasn’t lowered the value at all.
Didn’t the 35th Anniversary box set or one of those box sets have the Offering cover in it? Sure might’ve been CD, but it’s been reissued.

I’d like to own Offering as a unique item in my collection, but man, that cover is ugly. Give me Ticket to Ride’s cover any day.

I agree that "Ticket to Ride" is the vastly superior cover but "Offering" has a charm to it. I had to get one myself and it's on my site. I do like the back of it.

Ed

I’d like to own Offering as a unique item in my collection, but man, that cover is ugly. Give me Ticket to Ride’s cover any day.

haha! Not to offend any Catholics out there (I'm one myself), but Karen looks like a nun. As far as the content on the record, I love it! Two youngsters going into a state-of-the-art recording studio with reckless abandon...

Back
Top Bottom