Hello from new member & 2 questions

Hi all,

I just joined this forum yesterday although I have lurked and read for a few years now. I have been a fan of The Carpenters for bout 30 years, since my teens. I was inspired by Karen enough to expand on my musical pursuits in my youth and joined marching band in high school and play snare and all other percussion. Even took voice and was in choirs throughout college.

In the late 90s after moving to New York I got involved in the Newville Avenue group and got to know several of those members. We even had a New Haven trip and got to go inside their old New Haven house, saw their school, and met Debbie Cuticello for lunch. It was a cool experience, feels like eons ago at this point.

This all said, and thanks for reading my rambling, I have a couple of questions....

1. I have a small collection of CDs, cassettes, vidoes, footage, etc that I would like to find a home for, no charge. I was an avid collector of anything on video from shows to appearances and at one time had a massive collection given this was before You Tube, LOL. I am in the process of downsizing, and whereas I am still a fan, I am no longer a collector. I have been meaning to try to find a new home, and even though there is nothing rare in this collection (I can send a list, there are a lot of things on VHS), maybe someone will want it? Let me know any suggestions to point me in the right direction. I have everything in a box and will ship free to anyone. I just need to downsize and streamline.

2. So during my trading and collecting during the 90s, I came into the possession of a couple of photos I wanted to ask about. I have seen occasional posts in this forum sharing new photos never seen before, so I thought this is a good place to ask. I was doing a lot of trading with someone back in the late 90s, and this person sent me copies of two photos. If I recall, and my memory is dusty, this person informed me that they were sharing a couple of super rare personal photos. I have since looked online and can't find them anywhere, and I am just curious if anyone else has seen them. They are photos of Karen from November 1982 in her hospital room at Lenox Hill hospital in NYC. They are cute pics, she is smiling and you can see stuffed animals and all her greeting cards taped up on the wall. Has anyone else seen these or are they rare? I have seen people saying that there are not many photos from 1982, but I know these were as that's the info that was given to me. Just wanted to get anyone's thoughts on it. I don't want to post the pics outright at this point, even though they are tasteful and she looks happy.

Thanks for reading. I look forward to delving more into the posts in this forum.

Hi all,

I just joined this forum yesterday although I have lurked and read for a few years now. I have been a fan of The Carpenters for bout 30 years, since my teens. I was inspired by Karen enough to expand on my musical pursuits in my youth and joined marching band in high school and play snare and all other percussion. Even took voice and was in choirs throughout college.

In the late 90s after moving to New York I got involved in the Newville Avenue group and got to know several of those members. We even had a New Haven trip and got to go inside their old New Haven house, saw their school, and met Debbie Cuticello for lunch. It was a cool experience, feels like eons ago at this point.

This all said, and thanks for reading my rambling, I have a couple of questions....

1. I have a small collection of CDs, cassettes, vidoes, footage, etc that I would like to find a home for, no charge. I was an avid collector of anything on video from shows to appearances and at one time had a massive collection given this was before You Tube, LOL. I am in the process of downsizing, and whereas I am still a fan, I am no longer a collector. I have been meaning to try to find a new home, and even though there is nothing rare in this collection (I can send a list, there are a lot of things on VHS), maybe someone will want it? Let me know any suggestions to point me in the right direction. I have everything in a box and will ship free to anyone. I just need to downsize and streamline.

2. So during my trading and collecting during the 90s, I came into the possession of a couple of photos I wanted to ask about. I have seen occasional posts in this forum sharing new photos never seen before, so I thought this is a good place to ask. I was doing a lot of trading with someone back in the late 90s, and this person sent me copies of two photos. If I recall, and my memory is dusty, this person informed me that they were sharing a couple of super rare personal photos. I have since looked online and can't find them anywhere, and I am just curious if anyone else has seen them. They are photos of Karen from November 1982 in her hospital room at Lenox Hill hospital in NYC. They are cute pics, she is smiling and you can see stuffed animals and all her greeting cards taped up on the wall. Has anyone else seen these or are they rare? I have seen people saying that there are not many photos from 1982, but I know these were as that's the info that was given to me. Just wanted to get anyone's thoughts on it. I don't want to post the pics outright at this point, even though they are tasteful and she looks happy.

Thanks for reading. I look forward to delving more into the posts in this forum.

Hello there, and welcome!

Sounds like you have been a long-time fan indeed! I actually have the photos you mention, and out of respect for Richard and the family, probably not best to post them publicly.

I'm sure there are many younger fans here who would be thrilled to acquire part or all of your collection. I'm sure as more people read the post, you should get some responses. :)

Hi Chris,

Thanks for your response! Every few years, I pull out those photos and I remember that trade, and I have wondered about the origin of the photos and if they were ever shared. Glad to know you have those photos and know what I am referring to! Yes, I would not be inclined to post the pics at all.

Looks like I do have direct mail, so I will check that out. I think I'm going to have to go through and compile a list of what specifically I have - LOL. Now it seems most everything's on You Tube, but back in the day, I know I had an extremely robust video collection and I spent every weekend copying videos and mailing them across the country. :thumbsup:

Thanks and look forward to reading more on this forum!

:)

Yes, welcome to the forum. I remember a couple of huge Carpenters fans I corresponded with in the 80’s. One was Tony L. and the other was the guy who wrote the Carpenters fanzine, Downey Soft. I believe he was told to stop making for legal reasons maybe? One or both of them had a ton of videos, and concerts on cassettes. Mostly from the Pennsylvania area, or east coast. I don’t know if that might be you, I don’t know what happened either of them. The other I lost touch with is Jim Pierson who moved from Texas to Los Angeles and has worked with Richard on various dvd and cd projects like the PBS Close to You dvd, and the Perry Como Christmas dvd and, 3 cd Christmas set, over the last few years. Anyway, welcome.

Hi all,

Welcome😃
I send you a message about which cassettes you got😊👍🏻
Chris

Yes, welcome to the forum. I remember a couple of huge Carpenters fans I corresponded with in the 80’s. One was Tony L. and the other was the guy who wrote the Carpenters fanzine, Downey Soft. I believe he was told to stop making for legal reasons maybe? One or both of them had a ton of videos, and concerts on cassettes. Mostly from the Pennsylvania area, or east coast. I don’t know if that might be you, I don’t know what happened either of them. The other I lost touch with is Jim Pierson who moved from Texas to Los Angeles and has worked with Richard on various dvd and cd projects like the PBS Close to You dvd, and the Perry Como Christmas dvd and, 3 cd Christmas set, over the last few years. Anyway, welcome.

Thanks! That's definitely not me, as I am a girl in the NYC area, but I acquired many videos and concerts and interviews on cassette during the 90s so who knows, maybe that was an initial source. I just learned there is a Newville Avenue group on Facebook so I may check that out and see if the folks I knew back around '97-'99 are there.

Joining this forum has got me all back into re-listening to all the music! :thumbsup:

Back
Top Bottom