Deodato WHIRLWINDS

Michael Hagerty

Contributor
Anyone know why (apart from poor original sales) Deodato's three mid-70s LPs for MCA (WHIRLWINDS, ARITISTRY and FIRST CUCKOO) are unavailable? Earlier stuff, later stuff---all there. But the MCA stuff has been MIA for decades.

Don't know. The only Deodato album I have is the CTi PRELUDE with "Also Sprach Zarathustra" since I'm such a big fan of 2001: A SPACE ODYSSEY. I think I also have the edited single 45.

[Yep: it's CTi OJ-12, same edited stereo version both sides, 5:06]

Last edited:
Just cherry picking one title, Whirlwinds looks as though it had a Japan CD release in 2006, 2012 and 2016. Knowing how MCA (now Universal) operates, they let many of these titles rot in the vaults (or go up in flames) while focusing on compilations or the artist's most popular album. One band I work with had begged for years to get the label to reissue their MCA and GRP albums (they became one and the same) to no avail--they would instead put out poorly programmed compilations.

And, in looking through the 45s for that "Also Sprach..." single, I find a few other promotional singles.

CTi OJ-16 Picture Sleeve of "Rhapsody In Blue"/"Super Strut" from DEODATO 2
MCA-40302 "Super Strut" - Short Version/Long Version
MCA-40469 "Caravan/Watusi Strut" - From FIRST CUCKOO - Radio Version/Disco Version
MCA-40578 "Theme From Star Trek - Long Version/Short Version

Looks like these record companies were pushing for another hit single after the "Also Sprach Zarathustra" single. Looking at the titles, maybe the first one should have been "Also Strut Zarathustra"!

Just cherry picking one title, Whirlwinds looks as though it had a Japan CD release in 2006, 2012 and 2016. Knowing how MCA (now Universal) operates, they let many of these titles rot in the vaults (or go up in flames) while focusing on compilations or the artist's most popular album. One band I work with had begged for years to get the label to reissue their MCA and GRP albums (they became one and the same) to no avail--they would instead put out poorly programmed compilations.
Very sad and Deodato isnt the only Victim of this Cherry Picking and I too enjoy Deodato's classics myself

They've always been the cheapest operators on the block. From movies to TV to music.

Here is Deodato's composition "West 42nd Street" a jazz classic from this album from 1974. It's edgy and beautiful--so typical of New York City. When Deodato immigrated to the USA in the late 1960s he settled in the New York City area and this music captures the mood of this NY street perfectly back then. I visited family in NY in 1972 and back then West 42nd street was in a rough area. Who would have thought that by the 1990s it would became a tourist zone for families.

The brilliant guitarist on "West 42nd Street" is Deodato's go-to guitarist John Tropea. Man, can Deodato arrange a rhythm section with a full orchestra masterfully. This kind of arrangement was his forte.

Anyone know why (apart from poor original sales) Deodato's three mid-70s LPs for MCA (WHIRLWINDS, ARITISTRY and FIRST CUCKOO) are unavailable? Earlier stuff, later stuff---all there. But the MCA stuff has been MIA for decades.
I don't remember if you mentioned this elsewhere, but your wishlist has been fulfilled.

I check my Roon Player library from time to time for some of these unreleased items (as Qobuz integrates into my own digital library), and I'm seeing now that all three are available on Qobuz:

1709133682771.png

Chances are, these are available now on all streamers. It looks as though they are under the "Verve Reissues" sub-label.

Also...

1709133856017.png

This was apparently a fourth MCA album, as it is also under Verve Reissues. As it has "Peter Gunn" and "Theme from Star Trek," I'm probably going to give a play later today.

I don't remember if you mentioned this elsewhere, but your wishlist has been fulfilled.

I check my Roon Player library from time to time for some of these unreleased items (as Qobuz integrates into my own digital library), and I'm seeing now that all three are available on Qobuz:

1709133682771.png

Chances are, these are available now on all streamers. It looks as though they are under the "Verve Reissues" sub-label.

Also...

1709133856017.png

This was apparently a fourth MCA album, as it is also under Verve Reissues. As it has "Peter Gunn" and "Theme from Star Trek," I'm probably going to give a play later today.
I don’t know if I mentioned it or not, but yeah—-I saw them pop up on Apple Music a year or so ago.

Back
Top Bottom