Carpenters EP's

Billy Rees

118844871-2.jpg

I've been trying to make a list of various EPs that were released but can't find any details on this one... It's says 1972, but no other details, like which country etc?

I believe this catalog number references the Southeast Asia region - possibly Malaysia or Singapore. Will do some digging...

Thanks Chris... Would be great to know. Usually use Discogs or 45scat for details, but neither is listing this particular one!

I've also noticed that there are some fakes floating about... Original vinyl singles but mock-up covers. They're being listed as "rare" for ridiculously high asking prices!

I have these EP's I got from a local record store many years ago. The jukebox labels were inside the envelopes when I bought them, lucky me. I'm just missing the original jukebox label for The Singles. I always thought these were pretty cool to hold and look at. Does anyone remember going into Pizza Hut restaurant back when they had jukeboxes and playing music while you ate your pizza? Yup, I do. I always looked to see if Carpenters where in there to play.

baHSUaK.jpg

2q9myQV.jpg

vJFUJQ5.jpg

Japan issued quite a lot of Carpenters EP's.
A Carpenters friend from Japan mailed me this EP a long time ago.
The jacket on this one is thicker than a regular 45 sleeve.
It opens from the side like a mini LP.
Another Carpenters friend sent me the radio DJ sampler EP from Richard.
The Foreplay EP I got off ebay years ago and is mint.
h4NkQxT.jpg

OExymEn.jpg

Sz4PIYH.jpg

rhjfge2.jpg

Japan has given some beautiful releases, unlike any other countries... EPs being no exception! The most luxurious looking ones are the Super Compact 800 "Best Hits" Series (Only 5 EPs were released as far as I'm aware) and they have a lovely gold lettering and design... But I also like the Love Sounds "Oh Series" gatefold ones of Superstar, Sing and Top of the World.

R-6034499-1441870154-4389.jpeg.jpg

R-6351836-1441870143-1041.jpeg.jpg

R-7488487-1585415202-4947.jpeg.jpg

Quite often I see the Japan single of Yesterday Once More listed for sale as an EP...
I think that's because in Japanese the lettering at the end of "Yesterday Once More" look like the letters EP...

CARPENTERS_YESTERDAY%2BONCE%2BMORE-321806.jpg

I have these too Rick... They are gorgeous!
There's also a "Carpenters" one they released too... You can see pics of it here:

Carpenters - Carpenters
Billy, did you have this one in your collection as well? They ended up putting a lot of songs on this EP. I hope to find this one some day. It's rare to even find these LLP's let alone find them with the original jukebox labels included. I always thought it was cool to see a Carpenters 45 mastered at 33 1/3 rpm.

Yes, I have the 4 of them in my collection.
They were about $20 each, that's without postage to the UK... Which can be a small fortune in itself!

Most of the Japanese sellers on EBay list their singles as EP’s. Interesting, as I would assume 3 plus cuts to qualify as such. Different rules there I guess.

Looking back through the forum threads, there was one started way back on March 11, 2010 that talked about a "Country Collection" EP. The thread starter sent Harry a photo of his copy and Harry posted it to the thread. SP-17014 has SWEET SWEET SMILE, REASON TO BELIEVE, TOP OF THE WORLD, and JAMBALAYA

Back
Top Bottom