How Would You Rate This Album?

• ***** (BEST)

Votes: 13 22.4%

Votes: 28 48.3%

Votes: 15 25.9%

Votes: 1 1.7%

Votes: 1 1.7%

• Total voters
While I truly LOVE the added Karen tracks from AOFC, I was terribly disappointed and sad that ‘Oh Holy Night’ wasn’t one of them.

That’s the one track they really missed with those sessions when Karen was actually there to record a lead vocal. She was born to sing that one.

Just listened to “Do You Hear What I Hear?” from this album. Easily the stand-out track, and across all the music world, easily one of the versions that other artist recordings of the song can be compared to.

Just listened to “Do You Hear What I Hear?” from this album. Easily the stand-out track, and across all the music world, easily one of the versions that other artist recordings of the song can be compared to.
Majestic, compelling and gorgeously sung! This spiritual classic gives me goosebumps capturing the awe of the original Christmas event.

That fact that Richard left it off the “Special Edition” cd and the Timelife collection still baffles me. The stand out track on here for me. I was really grateful for the British 2 cd set when in came out, so I could hear a cleaner version, than the cassette I made to play in my car.

You know, it’s kind of surprising that since Christmas Collection came out 23 years ago, Richard hasn’t released any Christmas CD’s of Carpenters material. Sure he’s touched a few Christmas tracks, and released Christmas Alphabet & Make Me Laugh on DVD, but he hasn’t put out even a “20th Century Master Christmas Collection”-type disc. It’s too bad that some of the AOFC tracks that didn’t make the Special Edition or Time Life haven’t been put out on a seperate CD.

Do any old Fan Club members recall hearing via newsletters that Richard was at Abbey Road for this new project? As previously discussed, it seems there was no publicity whatsoever for An Old-Fashioned Christmas; I was wondering if Evelyn had even mentioned it ...

Carpenters Fan Club Newsletter #81:
"The overture and piano orchestral numbers will be recorded at EMI's Abbey Road Studios."

Thanks Gary. Could you post that line in context? I'm guessing the newsletter (or previous one) mentions that Richard is making a new album ...

^^ Carpenters FCN #81, July 1984 is the first instance that the album is mentioned:
"We can expect a new Christmas album later this year, titled An Old Fashioned Christmas, it will be released worldwide.
Richard and John Bettis wrote the title song. Seven of the previously unreleased tracks will feature Karen on vocals,
and newly recorded tracks have been added. In conjunction with the album, Richard leaves for London soon to collaborate
with his friend arranger/conductor Peter Knight. The overture and piano orchestral numbers will be recorded
at EMI's Abbey Road Studios
."

I melded this album and CP into a personal Carpenters Christmas playlist. Now that I belong to a music provider, I am exposed to the duo's vast Christmas library where I only had my vinyl of CP before. Listening this morning, I'm very much blown-away by the song What Are You Doing New Year's Eve?. Karen's vocal is absolutely exquisite and I just love the overall production/arrangement of it. It has a "big band" feel about it. Why this isn't a staple of holiday music over-the-air radio is a wonder (maybe because it makes reference to New Year's Eve in particular?). BTW, I gave this project 4 stars - better late than never! It doesn't eclipse CP which I consider a masterpiece.

I melded this album and CP into a personal Carpenters Christmas playlist. Now that I belong to a music provider, I am exposed to the duo's vast Christmas library where I only had my vinyl of CP before. Listening this morning, I'm very much blown-away by the song What Are You Doing New Year's Eve?. Karen's vocal is absolutely exquisite and I just love the overall production/arrangement of it. It has a "big band" feel about it. Why this isn't a staple of holiday music over-the-air radio is a wonder (maybe because it makes reference to New Year's Eve in particular?). BTW, I gave this project 4 stars - better late than never! It doesn't eclipse CP which I consider a masterpiece.

WAYDNYE should be a radio staple from December 26th to the 31st every year.

I'm really glad that this album came out. I was so bewildered (originally) that Santa Claus Is Coming To Town (single) wasn't on Christmas Portrait. Even though it sounds a bit out of place here, it finally found a home! I think this song has the most imaginative vocals and background vocals, best production, arrangement of all of their Christmas songs. Plus it was re-imagined into one of the best pop/holiday songs ever!

I don't mind the instrumentals on this album. It actually enhances the musical experience. But like most of you, I couldn't wait to hear Karen chime in! I also like Richard singing on Do You Hear What I Hear. It almost makes it seem like a brother/sister duet instead of a Carpenters track........if that makes any sense at all.

Hard to believe, but An Old Fashioned Christmas was released 36 years ago today! Unfortunately, over the last 20 years very few people in North America have known of its existence, as it’s been bundled in the Christmas Collection and has not been on its own since the cassette tape version was discontinued around 2000.

Hard to believe, but An Old Fashioned Christmas was released 36 years ago today! Unfortunately, over the last 20 years very few people in North America have known of its existence, as it’s been bundled in the Christmas Collection and has not been on its own since the cassette tape version was discontinued around 2000.

I've always struggled with the release date of AOFC. I've seen some sources as 26th September, some as 24h October and 26th October. Which is it?:confused:

Is there anywhere we can find this officially confirmed. It's strange that every other studio album has a solid known release date except this one.

I’ve always had a soft spot for this album. By the time I got round to buying it, I’d learned the full backstory to its existence. For me, the most moving song - and performance - is the title track. Richard’s vocal and the lyrics are so sad and wistful in the context of when and why it was recorded, especially knowing that Karen herself loved Christmas and Richard had just experienced his first Christmas without her.

Karen’s selections are some of my favourites of all the Christmas tracks she recorded. My favourite has always been What Are You Doing New Year’s Eve?. One of her most playful and flirtatious vocals ever.

I’ve always had a soft spot for this album. By the time I got round to buying it, I’d learned the full backstory to its existence. For me, the most moving song - and performance - is the title track. Richard’s vocal and the lyrics are so sad and wistful in the context of when and why it was recorded, especially knowing that Karen herself loved Christmas and Richard had just experienced his first Christmas without her.

Karen’s selections with vocals are some of my favourites of all the Christmas tracks she recorded. My favourite has always been What Are You Doing New Year’s Eve?. One of her most playful and flirtatious vocals ever.
Do you notice when Karen sings chance the second time there is no audible ce on the end of chance. I often wonder why Richard didn't dub an Sss sound.

Back
Top Bottom