Carpenters featured in new series (ABC) Big Sky teaser.

It's not an either/or choice, but I think the use of the Carpenters' music in this way will have a greater impact on expanding their legacy than whether or not they get inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame . Of course, whether this show contributes to raising the Carpenters' profile to a new generation will depend on how their music is used in the show, and whether the show is any good or not.

It's not an either/or choice, but I think the use of the Carpenters' music in this way will have a greater impact on expanding their legacy than whether or not they get inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame . Of course, whether this show contributes to raising the Carpenters' profile to a new generation will depend on how their music is used in the show, and whether the show is any good or not.
I hope that it hits the charts and we see a #1 ITunes placement 37 years after the original release.

"Top Of The World" is used in that promo, but there's no indication that it would be included in the TV show itself, and I'd guess it likely won't.

First, TV themes went the way of the dinosaur, particularly on network TV. You're lucky if you get a title screen, let alone any music backing it.

Second, the show has not been officially scheduled - it has no start date, probably largely because of the filming restrictions due to the pandemic.

Third, the show is scheduled in the Tuesday 10 PM slot and will be opposite FBI: MOST WANTED on CBS, another crime procedural, this one already established and it follows the original FBI, both Dick Wolf shows that do well on CBS. Scheduling doesn't factor as much as it used to due to DVRs and streaming, but it IS still a factor with a large percentage of older viewers - the ones who watch network TV.

It would be great if the song WERE used on the show, but let's hold off on our excitement until we see what the reality is.

"Top Of The World" is used in that promo, but there's no indication that it would be included in the TV show itself, and I'd guess it likely won't.

First, TV themes went the way of the dinosaur, particularly on network TV. You're lucky if you get a title screen, let alone any music backing it.

Second, the show has not been officially scheduled - it has no start date, probably largely because of the filming restrictions due to the pandemic.

Third, the show is scheduled in the Tuesday 10 PM slot and will be opposite FBI: MOST WANTED on CBS, another crime procedural, this one already established and it follows the original FBI, both Dick Wolf shows that do well on CBS. Scheduling doesn't factor as much as it used to due to DVRs and streaming, but it IS still a factor with a large percentage of older viewers - the ones who watch network TV.

It would be great if the song WERE used on the show, but let's hold off on our excitement until we see what the reality is.
Thank you for doing the research. I know virtually nothing about the television industry, so your comments were helpful.

I just think it was nice to randomly and unexpectedly hear it on network TV. I guess we can be excited about that. Whether it appears on the series next year when it premieres is irrelevant right now as is whether or not the show is successful. I think the point is it’s ok just to be happy that we are hearing them on mainstream TV for a few moments everytime they run the promo.

I wasn't attempting to squelch enthusiasm, but just to temper things with a little reality.

I'd like nothing better than to have Carpenters music being used in a popular entertainment.

The snippet is small and only a couple of seconds of vocal. I think there is some kind of legal rule that royalties have to be paid to ASCAP or BMI if they use more than a certain amount of any song on air. They mention it sometimes on the Today Show and others, playing or even just singing a lyric will cost the show or network money. That includes a promo, Talk Show or news show. Any format for a profit. Maybe Chris May would be better information . Just like radio stations have to pay royalties for the music they play. Anyway, I think that’s why it quickly fades in this promo. I think it’s a mystery where we think all is well, but.....
Great song for a tease of what’s to come.
It makes me think of Twin Peaks from what we see, and don’t see.

The snippet is small and only a couple of seconds of vocal. I think there is some kind of legal rule that royalties have to be paid to ASCAP or BMI if they use more than a certain amount of any song on air. They mention it sometimes on the Today Show and others, playing or even just singing a lyric will cost the show or network money. That includes a promo, Talk Show or news show. Any format for a profit. Maybe Chris May would be better information . Just like radio stations have to pay royalties for the music they play. Anyway, I think that’s why it quickly fades in this promo. I think it’s a mystery where we think all is well, but.....
Great song for a tease of what’s to come.
It makes me think of Twin Peaks from what we see, and don’t see.
That’s outdated. Production companies could sample upto 30 seconds of recorded music in the 80’s before having to pay royalties. But that was changed in the 90’s.

Yes, no ruined fantasies here, just nice to see their music used in some way, in 2020.

I wouldn't expect to hear much more, although in one way, using Carpenters music in a show that has something really dark about it, might add an an interesting juxtaposition with what is seen certainly by most as the "innocence" of Carpenters music. Depending upon targeted demographic for this show, it's unlikely that Carpenters tunes would be familiar enough to make that contrast as stark to the viewer, as those of us who know them well, though...

I would certainly hope it wasn't used in any derisive way, as sadly, we've seen before.

There is a new 2:00 "full trailer" for the series on ABC's YouTube site and snippets from TOP OF THE WORLD are played in 3 different parts of the trailer. The 2nd snippet played was not a familiar version to me. It sounded similar to the style used in the reprises for Yesterday Once More and A Song For You.

The 2nd snippet played was not a familiar version to me. It sounded similar to the style used in the reprises for Yesterday Once More and A Song For You

It's just a re-processed snippet that's all phased and slowed down. Still Carpenters, though.

I wonder how many new downloads of TOTW this will generate as people hear the song and either remember it fondly or hear for the first time, then can’t get it out of their heads so they have to download it.

For the record, I've seen multiple and frequent promos for BIG SKY recently since it premieres tonight, and none of them have had any Carpenters music

I've seen a few featuring "Top of the World" including last night's lead in during the Bachelorette which should not imply that I was actually watching the program. Does ABC need to get Richard's permission to use portions of his song in the promos and would he receive royalties from it?

I've seen a few featuring "Top of the World" including last night's lead in during the Bachelorette which should not imply that I was actually watching the program. Does ABC need to get Richard's permission to use portions of his song in the promos and would he receive royalties from it?

ABC does, yes ... and they have.

Richard has received several requests for clearances this year, which puts a smile on his face knowing that their music continues to gain popularity among all ages. 😀

Last edited:
Thanks Chris. What if it's a song that Richard and John did not write but the Carpenters recording of the song is used? Is permission still required from Richard and are royalties waived due to lack of writing credit?

The promos with TOTW started last summer. Then they used Patsy Cline and other artists through October. Then TOTW was used again starting in late October with a different phased mix. I didn’t see the beginning of the show last night, just the last 45 mins. It’s okay, but not for the faint of heart. Bloody and violent. A bit predictable. West coast here, Harry saw them on the East coast.

Thanks Chris. What if it's a song that Richard and John did not write but the Carpenters recording of the song is used? Is permission still required from Richard and are royalties waived due to lack of writing credit?

It requires a sync license to use the master recording, yes, along with a negotiated fee for its use. :)

Not only on how it's used but how often it's used and how much of their catalog is sampled - at the moment the phenomenon that seems to be having the biggest impact on "expanding their legacy" and "raising the Carpenter's profile" seems to be the ever-expanding number of so-called "reaction videos" on YouTube...

Whether or not this will be a significant factor in a revival remains to be seen, but the reactions are almost 100% positive and enthusiastic, with many that could be classified as "adoring" or "loving" - while many of these reactors are mere copycat opportunists out to grab a little fame and fortune quickly, several of these people are sincere and knowledgeable and have a fairly sizable following...

I'm thinking of a big black guy named Jamel_aka_Jamal and a black lady from Nigeria named Sincerly KSO in particular - she is always blubbering her way through every Karen vocal almost worshipfully and he is always talking about her angelic voice and saying "rest in peace, sister Karen" - there are some other good reviewers scattered around and I guess it remains to be seen what impact they will ultimately have - it would be interesting to see if record sales may have increased noticeably since this all started...

Back
Top Bottom