Richard's best Christmas lead vocal?

Without A Song

So many choices here it's hard for me to decide. I love "Toyland" and hope that if another Carpenters Christmas compilation is released, this track is included. There's also "O Come, O Come, Emmanuel" from the start of "Christmas Portrait" and his gorgeous overdubbing of "It Came Upon A Midnight Clear" at the beginning of "An Old Fashioned Christmas." Plus there's also "O Little Town of Bethlehem," "The First Noel" and the song "An Old-Fashioned Christmas."

And there's his post-Carpenters performance of "Home for the Holidays" on "Solid Gold." Hopefully that finds its way to a CD someday, maybe Richard's solo Christmas album? Fingers crossed.

Last but never least, his intro vocal to "Do You Hear What I Hear" which made it possible for us to hear Karen on the rest of that classic tune.

For me, I say it's a tie between "It Came Upon A Midnight Clear" and "Do You Hear What I Hear." If anyone would like to create a poll question out of this, that's fine with me.

So many choices here it's hard for me to decide. I love "Toyland" and hope that if another Carpenters Christmas compilation is released, this track is included. There's also "O Come, O Come, Emmanuel" from the start of "Christmas Portrait" and his gorgeous overdubbing of "It Came Upon A Midnight Clear" at the beginning of "An Old Fashioned Christmas." Plus there's also "O Little Town of Bethlehem," "The First Noel" and the song "An Old-Fashioned Christmas."

And there's his post-Carpenters performance of "Home for the Holidays" on "Solid Gold." Hopefully that finds its way to a CD someday, maybe Richard's solo Christmas album? Fingers crossed.

Last but never least, his intro vocal to "Do You Hear What I Hear" which made it possible for us to hear Karen on the rest of that classic tune.

For me, I say it's a tie between "It Came Upon A Midnight Clear" and "Do You Hear What I Hear." If anyone would like to create a poll question out of this, that's fine with me.
I would have to say Old-Fashioned Christmas is his best.

I liked Richard's vocals on Druscilla Penny & Saturday on the tan album
Those aren’t Christmas leads. Although Druscilla Penny was released as an A side single.

But as for Christmas leads, out of what’s been officially released, An Old-Fashioned Christmas[ was his only full vocal lead. His other vocal leads were short leads or part of medley’s. Richard needed to put a second full lead on either album. Otherwise, Do You Hear What I Hear? is a really great duet with Karen. A&M should’ve commissioned a music video in the style of Rankin/Bass’s Santa Claus Is Coming To Town/Rudolph The Red-Nosed Reindeer.

But out of even the TV specials, his vocals on Toyland & Home for the Holidays really need to be released on CD!

Do You Hear What I Hear & It Came Upon the Midnight Clear are outstanding .., best composition has to be An Old-Fashioned Christmas; so evocative and immediately makes one feel 6 years old again ...

Back
Top Bottom