Heard Carpenters

It is not--nor was it ever-- a Richard v. Karen scenario.
For myself, anyway, it is about History of "the Carpenters" as a duo.
If there is "source" material/documentation that differs from one another,
I take the earliest known source as closest to the truth--whatever that "truth" entails.
Sources further from the event are less reliable--that is generally accepted when digging for historical evidence.
Nothing else to it.
History.

Just saw a new and much longer promo for the ABC show Big Sky, coming in November 2020. They play much more of Top Of The World throughout the promo. Some of it very clear, and some partially muted, that it’s a mystery, thriller type show. Looks interesting. Hope they actually use it in the series when it aires next month.

OK, this was weird and random: I’m in a shop. Ads in the speakers and a tiny bit of the conclusion of Top of the World instrumental. Another ad. I blinked, it was gone. I don’t know which ad it belongs to, but it was clearly Carpenters. You can’t mistake the sound, production, fingers. Anyone? Ideas??

Just heard the tail end of 'Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas' on a Top 10 'oldies' station that now plays mostly 80s and hardly ever Carpenters. At the end, the host said 'Mmm to have a voice like that!'
I thought I needed to login here right now and share! 🙂

Just heard the tail end of 'Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas' on a Top 10 'oldies' station that now plays mostly 80s and hardly ever Carpenters. At the end, the host said 'Mmm to have a voice like that!'
I'm glad that you did.
That vocal is my favorite vocal of all time by anyone.

Glad you did! 👍👍

Did anyone else catch this weekend's Sirius XM Radio's "American Top 40" replay on their 70s on 7 channel? They picked a terrific week - first week of December 1973 - and guess who had the new #1? Of course, it was our beloved Carpenters with "Top of the World"! Casey even made a big mention that they finally broke their 'jinx' after having 5 number #2 hits since "Close to You". I love the simple gem "TOPW" - it's perfectly tailored for Karen's voice and makes you feel good with every listen.

I was out at a restaurant last evening and their sound system was piping in Christmas songs from the 40s through the 70s. During our enjoyment of dessert, Karen's voice appeared singing MERRY CHRISTMAS DARLING. The perfect way to end a good meal.

SiriusXM is playing the top 300 songs of the decades this weekend. On 70’s on 7 now, Close to You at #55. Somehow the songs sound better when you have to wait and hear your favorites in a countdown!! Guess it reminds me of listening to the radio way back when before we had everything so “on demand.”

SiriusXM is playing the top 300 songs of the decades this weekend. On 70’s on 7 now, Close to You at #55. Somehow the songs sound better when you have to wait and hear your favorites in a countdown!! Guess it reminds me of listening to the radio way back when before we had everything so “on demand.”

Yes I heard this too, and was curious to know how many songs the Carpenters had on this list of 300 songs from the 70's, and where.

I did some digging around and found a list of all 300 songs, on Reddit. The list has a lot of people that have contributed and it seems very thoroughly checked by a number of people for accuracy.

Assuming accurate, the Carpenters had 5 songs voted in on the list, as follows:

270CarpentersTop of the World1973
157CarpentersRainy Days And Mondays1971
76CarpentersSuperstar1971
55Carpenters(They Long To Be) Close To You1970
32CarpentersWe've Only Just Begun1970

Yes I heard this too, and was curious to know how many songs the Carpenters had on this list of 300 songs from the 70's, and where.

I did some digging around and found a list of all 300 songs, on Reddit. The list has a lot of people that have contributed and it seems very thoroughly checked by a number of people for accuracy.

Assuming accurate, the Carpenters had 5 songs voted in on the list, as follows:

270CarpentersTop of the World1973
157CarpentersRainy Days And Mondays1971
76CarpentersSuperstar1971
55Carpenters(They Long To Be) Close To You1970
32CarpentersWe've Only Just Begun1970

I'm a bit confused on this; but glad others were listening and interested in it too. I, unfortunately, had many hours in the car over the last week driving four hours at at time to be by my mom's bedside as she was just put into hospice care, so I got to listen to 16 hours of this broadcast over four days...unfortunately, much of it overlapped; however, I only remember hearing two songs...Superstar at No. 76 as the list above shows, but Close To You at No. 26 with differs from the Reddit list (which I also looked up). I'm thinking this list might be from the previous year? Incidentally, over the same time period, I heard a broadcast of the Top 100 songs from 1975; both Only Yesterday and Please Mr. Postman were on that list. Postman was No. 33 or 34 for the year, I think?

I'm a bit confused on this; but glad others were listening and interested in it too. I, unfortunately, had many hours in the car over the last week driving four hours at at time to be by my mom's bedside as she was just put into hospice care, so I got to listen to 16 hours of this broadcast over four days...unfortunately, much of it overlapped; however, I only remember hearing two songs...Superstar at No. 76 as the list above shows, but Close To You at No. 26 with differs from the Reddit list (which I also looked up). I'm thinking this list might be from the previous year? Incidentally, over the same time period, I heard a broadcast of the Top 100 songs from 1975; both Only Yesterday and Please Mr. Postman were on that list. Postman was No. 33 or 34 for the year, I think?
So sorry you have to do this. May your mother be blessed as she is in hospice!

So sorry you have to do this. May your mother be blessed as she is in hospice!
Thanks. I have to say, though, this Sirius/XM broadcast made the long, lonely drive a lot better as I anxiously awaited each song in the countdown to hear when K&R would emerge! I have to say, thought, it was a LONG time until I finally heard Superstar that I was convinced, being Sirius/XM, that they hadn't made the list AT ALL. Glad I was wrong!

The list is identified as "2020-2021", so I would assume it's for this past year.

Having said that, if you heard Close to You at #26 that definitely runs counter to the list as it was when I downloaded it yesterday. I find it hard to believe that Yesterday Once More didn't make this list, but now I'm concerned that the list isn't accurate.

Sorry about your mom; that's a tough situation.

Sending good vibes to you and your family, Geographer.

The list is identified as "2020-2021", so I would assume it's for this past year.

Having said that, if you heard Close to You at #26 that definitely runs counter to the list as it was when I downloaded it yesterday. I find it hard to believe that Yesterday Once More didn't make this list, but now I'm concerned that the list isn't accurate.

Sorry about your mom; that's a tough situation.
And counter to what I actually heard on the radio, but these lists online can vary. There is also a top 700 list from earlier in the year that is floating out there and I don’t know where these songs placed on that.

That’s appropriate for much of the U.S. today. Cold and rainy, and stuck inside. What a great song for the day!

It was steaming hot and bucketing rain here yesterday, (Monday). Hasn’t rained for a LONG time. Good that nature finally got a drink.

Back
Top Bottom