⭐ Official Review [Video]: "YESTERDAY ONCE MORE"

WHICH CARPENTERS MUSIC VIDEO IS YOUR FAVORITE?

• 1.) We've Only Just Begun 4:09 (Williams/Nichols)

Votes: 2 3.1%
  • 2.) Those Good Old Dreams 4:21 (Carpenter/Bettis

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 3.) Superstar 3:31 (Russell/Bramlett)

Votes: 8 12.5%
  • 4.) Rainy Days and Mondays 3:40 (Williams/Nichols)

Votes: 6 9.4%
  • 5.) All You Get From Love Is A Love Song 3:46 (Eaton)

Votes: 13 20.3%
  • 6.) Top Of The World 2:58 (Carpenter/Bettis)

Votes: 3 4.7%
  • 7.) Ticket To Ride 4:09 (Lennon/McCartney)

Votes: 6 9.4%
  • 8.) Only Yesterday 3:46 (Carpenter/Bettis)

Votes: 15 23.4%
  • 9.) Calling Occupants Of Interplanetary Craft 7:07 (Klatuu)

Votes: 1 1.6%
  • 10.) Beechwood 4-5789 3:06 (Stevenson/Gaye/Gordy)

• 11.) Touch Me When We're Dancing 3:19 (Skinner/Wallace/Bell)

• 12.) I Need To Be In Love [DVD Release Only] 3:47 (Carpenter/Bettis/Hammond)

• 13.) Hurting Each Other 2:48 (Udell/Geld)

Votes: 3 4.7%
  • 14.) Please Mr. Postman 2:50 (Garrett/Holland/Gorman/Dobbins/Bateman)

Votes: 4 6.3%
  • 15.) There's A Kind Of Hush 2:57 (Reed/Stephens)

• 16.) (They Long To Be) Close To You 3:42 (Bacharach/David)

• Total voters
I really don't understand the mono compatible mention. Does this mean back in 1985 if you had a dolby digital receiver connected to your Hi Fi VCR that you could hear these tracks from the video in mono format? Can anyone explain how this works? I mean if the tape is Hi Fi stereo recorded how can you hear it in mono format?

With an older mono only pre hifi format player. It would only play back in mono since it didn’t have the hifi capabilities or sensors built in. Mine has a light that comes on if the tape is in hifi format. Most pre 1983-84 videos were mono format. I would spend an hour at the video store by the record store I worked at, testing the tapes, looking for hifi format tapes. Only about half actually were labeled as such at first, except music video tapes. They were very patient most of the time. They were a cool new thing, and sounded great on my Luxman surround decoder. I could hook up a second pair of speakers to it for fuller sound. It was an early precursor to 5.1 dvds, and after quadrophonic had faded away. My first 2 Betamax players were mono.

Last edited:
I really don't understand the mono compatible mention. Does this mean back in 1985 if you had a dolby digital receiver connected to your Hi Fi VCR that you could hear these tracks from the video in mono format? Can anyone explain how this works? I mean if the tape is Hi Fi stereo recorded how can you hear it in mono format?
For both VHS & Betamax, Hi-Fi (on NTSC tapes, PAL/SECAM implements it differently) is a FM radio signal embedded within the video track. This allows for CD quality audio to be recorded, even on SLP/EP (VHS) snd BIII (Betamax) modes. Hi-Fi wasn’t introduced to Betamax until 1983, and VHS until 1984/85, nearly a decade after both formats hit the market (also, the last VHS machines manufactured in 2017 were mono only, same with the last Betamax, the SL-F205 in 2002). So HiFi machines were required to record a linear mono track in order for the tapes to be backwards compatible with mono machines, so that people could play the tapes on any machine.

Now then the linear audio depended on the playback speed of the tape for its audio quality. And this is the one area where it was true that VHS had better quality over Betamax, because the Betamax tapes ran at a slower speed than VHS in all 3 speeds. And the linear audio depended on the speed of the tape. So on VHS linear audio at SLP/EP is going to sound extremely muffled when compared to HiFi at SLP or linear at SP. VHS SP Linear Audio is about equal to FM Mono (there’s only about 150 hz difference between VHS HiFi SP and Linear SP audio vs Betamax BI HiFi and Linear which is a 500 hz difference, more like going from AM radio quality to FM Stereo Quality) but when you get down to VHS SLP it’s around a weak AM radio signal.

12.) I Need To Be In Love [DVD Release Only] 3:47 (Carpenter/Bettis/Hammond)​

Is this supposed to be on Carpenters Gold video collection on DVD? It is not listed on mine.
Is it a live performance synced with the studio audio track? Thank you.

Random thought...I find it interesting that Only Yesterday is the vote-topper for this thread. I voted for RD&M, although it was a tough call for me between that video and Superstar. Karen playing drums on RD&M sold it for me.

I like the Only Yesterday video (and love the song, those crazy low notes and indeed the whole song is very rangy and Karen handles it like the vocal Goddess she is), but can't pick it as tops on this thread.

Covid boredom strikes again! :wink:

12.) I Need To Be In Love​

Is it a live performance synced with the studio audio track? Thank you.​

It’s an actual promo video with loose, realistic storyline - K&R, the stars too busy for romance, board a plane, no doubt on the way to a gig. Man flirts with Karen and she clearly thinks he may be boyfriend material, then finds he already has a girlfriend. You’ve no doubt seen it before.

This clip was actually played on pop music shows back in 1976 - at least, here in Australia. This doesn’t seem to have helped the song’s fortunes, however. It still only peaked at Number 47.

By the way, I have this promo clip on a 2001 Japanese edition of the ‘Yesterday Once More’ DVD.

By the way, I have this promo clip on a 2001 Japanese edition of the ‘Yesterday Once More’ DVD.
Yeah, it actually got a release on that earlier DVD, but if I'm not mistaken, doesn't play in US players.

That was in the days where most video movies cost $69.95-89.95. It was mostly a rental market in the early days of video tape releases. $29.95 was steep. Video players weren’t a must have for every home yet. There was still the debate over Beta or VHS. As mighty as Sony and Sanyo were, their Japanese competitors won out by the end of the decade. The sales weren’t huge at those retail prices. I’m guessing they tried to recoup their expenses charging more. The prices were still high on all new releases until DVD’s came along. It was the death blow to tapes. Just like CDs did to cassettes and vinyl.

Heh! I don't know why I can't do it on my own posts, but on anything else that's printed, I can spot spelling errors a mile away. There's one in that video ad that I guess I never read before:

CarpVideoAdSpelling.jpg

Heh! I don't know why I can't do it on my own posts, but on anything else that's printed, I can spot spelling errors a mile away. There's one in that video ad that I guess I never read before:

CarpVideoAdSpelling.jpg
Yes I noticed that too when I wrote out my response. Could I have a one off? Bootleg ad? 😂 😂

It’s an actual promo video with loose, realistic storyline - K&R, the stars too busy for romance, board a plane, no doubt on the way to a gig. Man flirts with Karen and she clearly thinks he may be boyfriend material, then finds he already has a girlfriend. You’ve no doubt seen it before.

This clip was actually played on pop music shows back in 1976 - at least, here in Australia. This doesn’t seem to have helped the song’s fortunes, however. It still only peaked at Number 47.

Yes, have seen it in poor quality on You-Tube. Find it hard to believe that it ever made it onto a commercially released DVD!
Was that clip made as part of a TV show, or to promote a tour? Is there a background story on why this was made?

Regards I Need To Be In Love,
as well as being on the later 40th DVD, it is on the 1995 Japan YOM DVD, Universal Music.
It was an A&M "promotional film" for the song (Listed in the 14 A&M promo-films, Carpenters Fan Club Newsletter Feb 1985).
By the way, I watched it on my Japan-pressed DVD a few moments ago:
I love this promo film. It is telling a story throughout. It has Mary and some band-members featured throughout.
Karen is lovely and with such a beautiful smile in this one.
A very good promo film, imho.

Yes, have seen it in poor quality on You-Tube. Find it hard to believe that it ever made it onto a commercially released DVD!
Was that clip made as part of a TV show, or to promote a tour? Is there a background story on why this was made?
'I Need to Be in Love' would have purely been made for TV play to promote the single when it was released, I would think.

It's often said that promotional film clips weren't used much until the early 1980s, but I think that a lot of record companies had a sense that a film clip could help sales of a song long before that, because there are film clips for songs going right back to the '60s and there were TV shows devoted to playing such clips at least as far back as the early 70s.

I'm aware of the promo Carpenters' clips for 'Close to You' and 'Love Is Surrender' being played on local TV, (for example, on 'Hit Scene', which ran from 1969 until 1972), and also saw 'Please Mr. Postman', 'I Need to Be in Love', 'Calling Occupants of Interplanetary Craft' and 'Beechwood' at the time the singles for those songs were released, or had friends or family who saw them.

When you think of it, the only way for artists to reach mass population and potential buyers back in Carpenters' day were radio, television, magazines and newspapers .... and concerts and public appearances, for the fans.

I've never heard Richard's commentary on the 40th anniversary DVD. I'll have to see whether I can get hold of a copy.

Wow, I just won an eBay bid for a Japanese “Yesterday Once More” DVD © 1995 which has “I Need to Be in Love” on it. Will definitely let you know how it is. The actual release date seems to be August 12, 1998, and the catalog number is POBM-1003.

Congratulations. My Japanese copy of "Yesterday Once More" is from 2001 and has the catalogue number of UIBY-1002. It also has "I Need to Be In Love" on it. The case is CD-size.

I think that most of the DVDs had at least two releases in Japan. I know that "Live at the Budokan" did. (Actually, I think that DVD had at least three).

By the way, I used to have a promo video that Richard did when "Live at the Budokan" was first released to the public.

Congratulations. My Japanese copy of "Yesterday Once More" is from 2001 and has the catalogue number of UIBY-1002. It also has "I Need to Be In Love" on it. The case is CD-size.

I think that most of the DVDs had at least two releases in Japan. I know that "Live at the Budokan" did. (Actually, I think that DVD had at least three).

By the way, I used to have a promo video that Richard did when "Live at the Budokan" was first released to the public.
Is there a way for members to share videos with each other, or is that against community rules?

Thanks!
Cuyler

Most of us just use YouTube. If you think it will fly there, it's probably OK here, within the realms of good taste.

I just received my Japanese copy of the "Yesterday Once More" DVD and I was definitely not disappointed.

The video quality on the "Gold" DVD always left something to be desired, and recently realized it was that very persistent image trail that bothered me.

From Gold DVD
vlcsnap-00029.png

From Japanese Yesterday Once More DVD
vlcsnap-00030.png

The videos are much cleaner on this "Yesterday Once More" DVD. I really finally enjoy all of these videos now.

Hoping to be able to upload some of them in 1080p without YouTube blocking them...

In the meantime, take a look at "I Need to Be in Love" on the Japanese "Yesterday Once More" DVD, upscaled to 1080p HD.

C

I think the Gold might’ve come from a composite videotape, whereas the YOM version might’ve been a newer transfer to a y/c composite source (S-VHS) or component (Betacam SP). But I can tell that they are both analog tape sources that the film was transferred to. If you look on the left hand side, there’s a small strip of black and I’ve seen that in analog dubs before—-years past that would’ve been outside your TV’s display area and covered by the TV’s casing.

I think the Gold might’ve come from a composite videotape, whereas the YOM version might’ve been a newer transfer to a y/c composite source (S-VHS) or component (Betacam SP). But I can tell that they are both analog tape sources that the film was transferred to. If you look on the left hand side, there’s a small strip of black and I’ve seen that in analog dubs before—-years past that would’ve been outside your TV’s display area and covered by the TV’s casing.
As I was watching some gorgeous film-to-4K music videos on YouTube last night on my family's new 4K TV... wouldn't it be soooo amazing if those film-sourced videos (thinking in particular about Gold - Superstar, Rainy Days and Mondays, All You Get From Love Is a Love Song, Ticket to Ride, Only Yesterday, Hurting Each Other, Please Mr. Postman, and There's a Kind of Hush) could be remastered (and not upscaled) to 4K HDR. *sigh*

As I was watching some gorgeous film-to-4K music videos on YouTube last night on my family's new 4K TV... wouldn't it be soooo amazing if those film-sourced videos (thinking in particular about Gold - Superstar, Rainy Days and Mondays, All You Get From Love Is a Love Song, Ticket to Ride, Only Yesterday, Hurting Each Other, Please Mr. Postman, and There's a Kind of Hush) could be remastered (and not upscaled) to 4K HDR. *sigh*
Even in 1985, those film clips needed to be remastered. That film for “Rainy Days” is so dirty.

Back
Top Bottom