Bud Shank?

TjbBmb

Listening to Herb Alpert Presents Pete Jolly and there are a couple bars of alto sax on Lonely Girl that sounds to me like like Bud Shank.

It then occurred to me that it sounded a little like the sax on Herb’s Let It Snow. There was some debate on here years ago about it sounding like Paul Desmond, but that it was probably Bernie Fleischer.

Listening to Herb Alpert Presents Pete Jolly and there are a couple bars of alto sax on Lonely Girl that sounds to me like like Bud Shank.

It then occurred to me that it sounded a little like the sax on Herb’s Let It Snow. There was some debate on here years ago about it sounding like Paul Desmond, but that it was probably Bernie Fleischer.
Bud Shank certainly hung around the same studio musicians at the time. But without a list of personnel, it'll probably remain a mystery.

I know it certainly would never be Paul Desmond. As mercurial and fussy as he was, he wouldn't pop in on any recording to noodle a few notes--he wasn't a session player, in other words. He was known to sit out Brubeck tunes that he didn't like when he was with the Quartet--he only plays on one tune on side two of Time Further Out, as one example.

I know it certainly would never be Paul Desmond.
Agreed 100%. Desmond wasn't a session player. On the other hand, his sound (dry and high) was emulated a great deal in '60s / early '70s pop -- as were Stan Getz' and Stanley Turrentine's highly identifiable tenor sax stylings.

Back
Top Bottom