Billboard trade ads - ANYONE?

Chris May

Resident ‘Carpenterologist’
Staff member
Does anyone here happen to have any of the original Carpenters SINGLE trade ads from Billboard?

"Close to You"
"For All We Know"
"Yesterday Once More"
"Jambalaya"
"Goofus"
"Christmas Song"
"Touch Me When We're Dancing"
"Make Believe It's Your First Time"

Please let me know! Thanks :)

All I have are copies that others have sent me for inclusion in the Resource. If there's anything there that will do, let me know.

I looked though one box of old various concert programs I’ve attended in the 70’s and 80’s and found the Billboard issue where The Singles 1969-1973 knocks Elton John’s Goodbye Yellow Brick Road out of the #1 spot. Interesting that with that achievement, it also lost its bullet. Go figure. The date 2/5/1974, 6th week on the Hot 200 album chart.
Another issue i found, is the 1973 year end one, with all the congrats on sales etc. for the year. There’s a full page article with pics from their November 17th Billboard special with B&W pics of Karen at the drums and the Richard Carpenter Trio with Wes Jacobs on bass. It says the Carpenters paid for the ad. 12/29/1973.

Does anyone here happen to have any of the original Carpenters SINGLE trade ads from Billboard?

"Close to You"
"For All We Know"
"Yesterday Once More"
"Jambalaya"
"Goofus"
"Christmas Song"
"Touch Me When We're Dancing"
"Make Believe It's Your First Time"

Please let me know! Thanks :)
Hey Chris:
I’ve got the originals you listed for the following:

‘For All We Know’
‘Close To You’ LP
‘Voice Of The Heart’ LP

Bob

Hey Chris:
I’ve got the originals you listed for the following:

‘For All We Know’
‘Close To You’ LP
‘Voice Of The Heart’ LP

Bob

Hey Bob, thanks! I have all of the LP trades, actually looking for a few of the singles... But would love to see your FAWN trade if you have easy access to it...

Here is a searchable archive of Billboard from 1920 thru 2017. CAUTION: It is a real time sucker. Once you go down this rabbit hole you may never come back out. You can search words in text OR ads. If you know the date of the thing you're looking for, it makes it much faster.

The only downside to it is, you get a hit for every iteration of a keyword you enter -- so, if you search "Carpenters," you'll get a hit for every chart appearance they made (and on every chart they were on), plus any other other mention in articles. If you know the date of the thing you're looking for, it makes it much faster/easier to find something. At least you can narrow it down by year or by decade, which helps immensely.

Here is a searchable archive of Billboard from 1920 thru 2017. CAUTION: It is a real time sucker. Once you go down this rabbit hole you may never come back out. You can search words in text OR ads. If you know the date of the thing you're looking for, it makes it much faster.

The only downside to it is, you get a hit for every iteration of a keyword you enter -- so, if you search "Carpenters," you'll get a hit for every chart appearance they made (and on every chart they were on), plus any other other mention in articles. If you know the date of the thing you're looking for, it makes it much faster/easier to find something. At least you can narrow it down by year or by decade, which helps immensely.

WOW! Are you kidding me? YES, a deep rabbit hole with unplumbed depths. THANK YOU for linking this!!! 5 stars!

I thought this page was amazing just for the pic, and there's SO many more:

I thought this page was amazing just for the pic, and there's SO many more:
Did you see the individual pics of K&R on the front page of that same issue? I'd never seen those before.

Thank you sir! :)

Back
Top Bottom