Rare A&M Releases

I sent in for three of them in '67 and '68. Never showed up.
I’ve think I’ve still got a couple of them buried in a storage tub. They’re from around 1974-1975. It’s a roughly 4” x 4” little booklet catalog on glossy paper with a photo of an artist on the front and text only on the inside. If the album had been certified ‘gold’, the RIAA logo appeared alongside the album title.

I’ve think I’ve still got a couple of them buried in a storage tub. They’re from around 1974-1975. It’s a roughly 4” x 4” little booklet catalog on glossy paper with a photo of an artist on the front and text only on the inside. If the album had been certified ‘gold’, the RIAA logo appeared alongside the album title.
I had no idea they were doing them that late.

I found something quite amazing this month on eBay that that I wanted to share with those at The Corner. It’s the Mono version of ‘The Beat Of The Brass’.

And the clincher? The LP itself was still sealed in one of those clear plastic baggies. Totally mint. The cover was open, but the LP itself was sealed. The ad for the LP was kind of blurry, but I could barely make out the word ‘mono’, so I knew I had a winner! Totally lucked out. I paid $21 for it.

I had no idea they were doing them that late.
I was looking at some of the lp's that I have from the early 70's for the notice to write for the catalog. It appears on Stillness but not on Pais Tropical or Primal Roots. It was also not on the early releases of Lani Hall. If they were still doing the catalog, in the mid 70's then maybe they printed way more than they thought people would ask for or kept on if people wrote for them without ever seeing the notice. I wrote to a number of labels for record listings and got their order forms along with the album listings.

Here is an interesting note about the RIAA symbol. Nearly all of the Herb Alpert albums are marked as gold with the symbol. If you go to the RIAA website and look up gold and platinum, only a few of his were listed as gold the last time that I looked at the site.

Back
Top Bottom