Olivia Newton-John Remasters Project

newvillefan

I Know My First Name Is Stephen
There are quite a few Olivia fans on here who will be delighted with this news...I don’t have the original link but this is confirmed as official:

I am incredibly honored and excited to announce my latest, multi-faceted, music industry endeavor. It pairs me with an internationally renowned singer/songwriter noted for her heavenly voice and a career that spans seven decades.

To her credit, she has a mind blowing total of 27 top 40 hits in the US, 19 in the UK, and 26 in her native Australia. She has released 22 studio albums of which a staggering 16 of them have been certified gold or achieved multi-platinum status in the US. In her film roles, you might know her as Sandy, Kira, Debbie, Bitsy Mae or Barbara. She's starred in eight of her own worldwide, blockbuster television specials, been on 17 successful concert tours and celebrated a three-year Las Vegas residency. This powerhouse talent even found time to host "Saturday Night Live", compete in the Eurovision Song Contest, and appear in TV shows including "Murphy Brown", "Glee", "American Idol", "Dancing With The Stars", and "RuPaul's Drag Race".

So, to all the Greasers and Pink Ladies, muses and rollerskaters, ask yourself two questions - "Have you never been mellow?", "Do you want to get physical?". You know the answer is a resounding "Yes!"

I am thrilled to be working with Olivia Newton-John and her entire recorded works - both audio and video. There is a lot of material to go through. Many of you know that most of Olivia's albums have never been remastered, expanded or reissued. Much of her material has never been digitized. That means there is an overwhelming amount of work ahead of me. I'm going through every tape, file and document regarding anything Olivia recorded. I have a tremendous amount of projects tentatively planned, but things can change at a moment’s notice. I can confirm the first project I am producing for Olivia is a collection of duets. It will include her latest single, "Window In The Wall", featuring her daughter Chloe Lattanzi.

All of this is a tremendous undertaking. Those of you familiar with my work know I am going to present Olivia's music in the most detailed and beautifully produced way possible. And Olivia will be overseeing everything I put together. I will do my best to "bring all your dreams alive for you”.

Vinny Vero - Writer, Producer, Curator and Archivist, February 2020 2021.

Last edited by a moderator:
I wonder if they’ll do her first recordings, the soundtrack to Tommorow? She’s Livvy there....I bought the album back in the late 70’s.

Or Heartache Tonight????
Heck yes!!
:love:
And hopefully finally some "Pat & Olivia" recordings or performances as well 🤞

I'm surprised this hasn't happened before now. Did anyone like "Window In the Wall?"
There are a number of songs still unreleased in the USA, and songs that still have never been on CD.
Plus video projects! Olivia knew how to make the camera work for her!

I can’t wait to see what he does with the Totally Hot album - hoping for some great bonus tracks and there’s a great opportunity to augment the artwork with some of the outtakes from the amazing photoshoot for the album.

These two extended versions alone would be a great start.

OLIVIA%5FNEWTON%5FJOHN_TOTALLY%2BHOT%2B%2D%2BHER%2BNEW%2BALBUM-611342.jpg

e3a784e25c3d056fdb2a1322e58e70b3.jpg

Olivia-Newton-John-Totally-Hot-photoshoot-olivia-newton-john-21304787-420-828.jpg

1fbd3e6b468c5d36cfa14dcea2beca04.jpg

Last edited:
^^^Probably another reason KC struggled with her looks. I mean, when one of your closest friends looks like that, WOW!

(I know- I was friends with a very good looking singer years before he became famous. It was hard always being the wing man...)

Last edited:
She sings a duet with Barry Gibb on his new album Greenfields. It’s a nice collection, more on the ballad side though. The song she chose is Rest Your Love On Me. The song she did with Andy back in the 80’s. There’s a small pic of her inside the fold out insert too.

And from lovely 2020s duets with Chloe and Barry to a lovely 1960s duet, with Pat Carroll (...Cliff Richard in Hollywood Nights: "Oh I know her!")

Nice article from a year ago, I'm not sure we should expect anything from him for a while. Olivia takes a long time to approve release of any new material. I bet nothing shows up for at least 4-5 yrs. But this is hopeful, her catalog has been neglected. Japan Box set released some bonus tracks years ago....we never even knew she recorded "Looking For Space".

I don't see the following ever being released but here's my wish list.
I hope one day, the studio tracks from A Mom For Christmas (without the tv talk over) will appear. There are 2 rare tracks, "What If" and "Sea Of Pain" that I play often throughout the year and really enjoy.

I'd also like to see the rare track, "Richard's Window" also called "A Window To the Sky" only appeared on the soundtrack to the movie on LP. It really deserves a digital release on CD. I absolutely adore that song. I find myself humming it and singing the lyrics out of the blue...there embedded in my head forever. Classic Olivia airy vocals from 1975.

For fun...I'd love to have the song from her Down Under video in Australia called, "Old Fashioned Man" without the nerd voices. I love this song and brings a smile to my face all the time. I love the 2 second audio clip of Physical interjected into the song. I ripped the audio from the VHS tape just to get this saved.

I'd also like to see her Physical Live in Concert 1982 audio released on CD. I ripped the entire concert 1 hr 17 mins. The opening audio with the video montage is so special. I can still remember seeing this at the concert I went to in NC with my best friend. The audience went crazy and she was so hot and vocally the best I'd ever heard her sing. I'll never forget on our way to the concert we saw a black limo and a blonde (looking very much like Olivia) standing up in the sunroof waving to the cars. Of course we knew it wasn't Olivia but cars were following that limo, she was so popular then. The concert was sold out every seat was filled. It was a huge arena.

I'd also like to get the track "Intro to Physical" (instrumental by John Farrar) that played during the opening to her Physical TV show. It's the intro that played during the beach scene. I ripped that as well. I really love that instrumental. It's quite short at only 1:14 so I looped it twice to about 2:25

I better stop here :laugh:

I forgot one...
I'd also like to see the rare UK single 45 of "Sail Into Tomorrow" an alternate vocal to be released in digital format. I didn't even know this existed until a few years ago, bought the 7" single from the UK and sure enough it's an alternate vocal in fact the entire song is different than what appears on her Clearly Love album. It would be a great bonus track if he goes to remaster her Clearly Love album.

Nice article from a year ago, I'm not sure we should expect anything from him for a while. Olivia takes a long time to approve release of any new material. I bet nothing shows up for at least 4-5 yrs. But this is hopeful, her catalog has been neglected. Japan Box set released some bonus tracks years ago....we never even knew she recorded "Looking For Space".

I don't see the following ever being released but here's my wish list.
I hope one day, the studio tracks from A Mom For Christmas (without the tv talk over) will appear. There are 2 rare tracks, "What If" and "Sea Of Pain" that I play often throughout the year and really enjoy.

I'd also like to see the rare track, "Richard's Window" also called "A Window To the Sky" only appeared on the soundtrack to the movie on LP. It really deserves a digital release on CD. I absolutely adore that song. I find myself humming it and singing the lyrics out of the blue...there embedded in my head forever. Classic Olivia airy vocals from 1975.

For fun...I'd love to have the song from her Down Under video in Australia called, "Old Fashioned Man" without the nerd voices. I love this song and brings a smile to my face all the time. I love the 2 second audio clip of Physical interjected into the song. I ripped the audio from the VHS tape just to get this saved.

I'd also like to see her Physical Live in Concert 1982 audio released on CD. I ripped the entire concert 1 hr 17 mins. The opening audio with the video montage is so special. I can still remember seeing this at the concert I went to in NC with my best friend. The audience went crazy and she was so hot and vocally the best I'd ever heard her sing. I'll never forget on our way to the concert we saw a black limo and a blonde (looking very much like Olivia) standing up in the sunroof waving to the cars. Of course we knew it wasn't Olivia but cars were following that limo, she was so popular then. The concert was sold out every seat was filled. It was a huge arena.

I'd also like to get the track "Intro to Physical" (instrumental by John Farrar) that played during the opening to her Physical TV show. It's the intro that played during the beach scene. I ripped that as well. I really love that instrumental. It's quite short at only 1:14 so I looped it twice to about 2:25

I better stop here :laugh:
No do go on please, Rick :D Been reading your post with a great big grin and immediately heard all the titles you mentioned in my head. I agree on that "Rollin'" intro to the Physical video special. Speaking of ripped instrumentals, I even ripped the tapdance routine (right after the song Xanadu, in the movie), coz I liked that one a lot, too.

As far as rarities go, I'd also like to see the Decca single by Toomorrow (1970) in the set.

There is this lovely duet "If I was close to you" with Cliff Richard from TV-film "The Case" (1972).

Maybe for fun, throw in "I'm feeling too good today blues" from Olivia's first US TV special (1976)? I think she must have really liked that song, since she included it in her live setlist after that special.

I would even love to hear a full version of "Physical" without the lead vocals. I was happily surprised to hear Olivia's background vocals an octave lower, that's more Karen's playground :D

Her luscious version of "You made me love you" (B-side of the "Suddenly" 45) should really be on it, too :love:

And this one, as a little tribute to the Carpenters:

Btw, the article Stephen posted mentions the new duet with Chloe, so it has to be from this year :wink:

Nice article from a year ago, I'm not sure we should expect anything from him for a while.
Btw, the article Stephen posted mentions the new duet with Chloe, so it has to be from this year :wink:

Yep sorry, I added the date reference to the article at the top and I’m obviously still stuck in 2020 :laugh:.

The announcement was made on February 9, 2021 :)

I forgot one...
I'd also like to see the rare UK single 45 of "Sail Into Tomorrow" an alternate vocal to be released in digital format. I didn't even know this existed until a few years ago, bought the 7" single from the UK and sure enough it's an alternate vocal in fact the entire song is different than what appears on her Clearly Love album. It would be a great bonus track if he goes to remaster her Clearly Love album.

If you have the American pre-MCA singles on "UNI" you will have 5 non-lp songs alone!
Also Olivia's first (US) MCA single has this ^ early version of Sail Into Tomorrow as it's B-side. :)
Of course you know this already, but so many 1970-1974 songs have never seen the light of day in the USA on any format.
This project could really be exciting if done right and thoroughly. Dream yes, but best not get hopes overly high.

No do go on please, Rick :D Been reading your post with a great big grin and immediately heard all the titles you mentioned in my head. I agree on that "Rollin'" intro to the Physical video special. Speaking of ripped instrumentals, I even ripped the tapdance routine (right after the song Xanadu, in the movie), coz I liked that one a lot, too.

As far as rarities go, I'd also like to see the Decca single by Toomorrow (1970) in the set.

There is this lovely duet "If I was close to you" with Cliff Richard from TV-film "The Case" (1972).

Maybe for fun, throw in "I'm feeling too good today blues" from Olivia's first US TV special (1976)? I think she must have really liked that song, since she included it in her live setlist after that special.

I would even love to hear a full version of "Physical" without the lead vocals. I was happily surprised to hear Olivia's background vocals an octave lower, that's more Karen's playground :D

Her luscious version of "You made me love you" (B-side of the "Suddenly" 45) should really be on it, too :love:

And this one, as a little tribute to the Carpenters:

I agree that YOM and Close to You from her live concert would be nice to have as bonus tracks on a box set.
I think there is another duet she did with someone (I can't place her at the moment) of a Carpenters song (Nina? from France) IDK.

The 2 unreleased tracks from Toomorrow, "Roll Like A River" and "I Could Never Live Without Your Love"

Some others that I'm sure will never appear but would be cool to have on digital format.
"The Key" from The 1979 Unicef live album.
"Our New Hometown" (Snowden)
"Fly" (Snowden)
"Home" (Snowden)
"Falling" This would make a great audio bonus track on the Physical album. It contains an alternate guitar instrumental break that appears only on the video version of Video Gold I
"Honey Pie" 1973 (for the country fans lol)
"Bye Bye Blackbird" (Wilde Girls)
"Christmas Time Down Under" 1965 recording
"Best of Friends" (Land Before Time)
"Heartache Tonight" (I'm sure we will never see this appear due to license from so many artists)
The Entire "Love Performance" LP
"Jolene" (Live version from Physical concert 82) it appears as a B side on a Japan 45 single Twist of Fate. It's quite lovely to hear this on vinyl. I bought this from Japan with a lovely picture sleeve as well.
"Rosewater" 5:09 the extended (extra verse) that appears on CD in Australia but would be nice to get for the US fans.
"Livin' in Desperate Times" I don't believe the LP version has ever been released on CD. Every version that appears on CD, even the CD Soundtrack is a terrible edit. I heard that it can't be fixed because the master was damaged but they could source it from the 45 rpm which is correct. If you listen from the 3:00 min mark to the end....the original vinyl LP is the correct version which goes "cause I'm livin' in desperate time and it's too late to change my mind" but the soundtrack CD and every version that appears on any compilation if you listen to this same time 3:00 min mark, it loops in the same previous lyric "and I'm livin' in desperate time being alive's my only crime" which is technically wrong. It's just a really bad edit.

I'd love to have this full audio version of "Nevertheless" if she ever recorded this in the studio.

This would be cool too as a bonus track if a digital copy exists. "And I Love You So"

I agree that YOM and Close to You from her live concert would be nice to have as bonus tracks on a box set.
I think there is another duet she did with someone (I can't place her at the moment) of a Carpenters song (Nina? from France) IDK.

The 2 unreleased tracks from Toomorrow, "Roll Like A River" and "I Could Never Live Without Your Love"

Some others that I'm sure will never appear but would be cool to have on digital format.
"The Key" from The 1979 Unicef live album.
"Our New Hometown" (Snowden)
"Fly" (Snowden)
"Home" (Snowden)
"Falling" This would make a great audio bonus track on the Physical album. It contains an alternate guitar instrumental break that appears only on the video version of Video Gold I
"Honey Pie" 1973 (for the country fans lol)
"Bye Bye Blackbird" (Wilde Girls)
"Christmas Time Down Under" 1965 recording
"Best of Friends" (Land Before Time)
"Heartache Tonight" (I'm sure we will never see this appear due to license from so many artists)
The Entire "Love Performance" LP
"Jolene" (Live version from Physical concert 82) it appears as a B side on a Japan 45 single Twist of Fate. It's quite lovely to hear this on vinyl. I bought this from Japan with a lovely picture sleeve as well.
"Rosewater" 5:09 the extended (extra verse) that appears on CD in Australia but would be nice to get for the US fans.
"Livin' in Desperate Times" I don't believe the LP version has ever been released on CD. Every version that appears on CD, even the CD Soundtrack is a terrible edit. I heard that it can't be fixed because the master was damaged but they could source it from the 45 rpm which is correct. If you listen from the 3:00 min mark to the end....the original vinyl LP is the correct version which goes "cause I'm livin' in desperate time and it's too late to change my mind" but the soundtrack CD and every version that appears on any compilation if you listen to this same time 3:00 min mark, it loops in the same previous lyric "and I'm livin' in desperate time being alive's my only crime" which is technically wrong. It's just a really bad edit.
That bad edit in "Desperate Times" has been a thorn in my ear ever since I first heard it. Luckily I still have the vinyl LP and during my first visit to L.A. a few years ago, I was happy to find the soundtrack on cassette, which also sounds good. Festival Records made another mastering goof; on the Have You Never Been Mellow CD (1998), "It's so easy" starts with just one beat on the tom, where there should be 2 beats... All I can do is quote this 2-second wordless comment from Olivia here (should be a meme really :-p ) :

You're right. Olivia did (at least?) 2 more Carpenters covers in the 70s.

There's the duet with Nana Mouskouri (where she gets a bit into a Pat & Olivia mode, harmony-wise) :

And this one, from her 1974 Moods of Love TV shows, tape is running a bit too fast here, but it's still lovely (if only those BBC songs would be available on CD :love: )

Though there is quite a bit of overlap between Carpenters and Olivia, I'm going to move this thread to the general music forum and leave a re-direct here for those looking for it.

Yes that's it Nana, I couldn't remember her name.

There is also a mono version of "If Not For You" on the Uni Festival label 45 that I don't believe has been released in digital format. I have the 45 and it's very crisp and clear, sounds amazing in mono.

Speaking of mono, Olivia has a few to complete a small EP, digital format or release several as bonus tracks in mono format. I collected these mono 45's ripped them and made my own playlist on iTunes. There may be more as I'm sure some of her really early work was recorded in mono before MCA. But like I said some of this would never get released as some are on other recording labels. Unfortunately a lot of her MCA hits were not released in mono like much of the Carpenters during the 70's.

If Not For You (Mono 45)
Let Me Be There (Mono 45)
If You Love Me (Let Me Know) (Mono 45)
Have You Never Been Mellow (Mono 45)
Please Mr Please (Mono 45)
I Honesty Love You (Mono 45)
I Can't Help It (Mono 45) duet Andy Gibb
You're The One That I Want (Mono 45)
Hopelessly Devoted To You (Mono 45)
Grease (Mono 45) (No Olivia vocal)
Summer Nights (Mono 45)
Greased Lightnin Mono 45 (No Olivia vocal)
Fly Away (Mono 45)

Yes that's it Nana, I couldn't remember her name.

There is also a mono version of "If Not For You" on the Uni Festival label 45 that I don't believe has been released in digital format. I have the 45 and it's very crisp and clear, sounds amazing in mono.

Speaking of mono, Olivia has a few to complete a small EP, digital format or release several as bonus tracks in mono format. I collected these mono 45's ripped them and made my own playlist on iTunes. There may be more as I'm sure some of her really early work was recorded in mono before MCA. But like I said some of this would never get released as some are on other recording labels. Unfortunately a lot of her MCA hits were not released in mono like much of the Carpenters during the 70's.

If Not For You (Mono 45)
Let Me Be There (Mono 45)
If You Love Me (Let Me Know) (Mono 45)
Have You Never Been Mellow (Mono 45)
Please Mr Please (Mono 45)
I Honesty Love You (Mono 45)
I Can't Help It (Mono 45) duet Andy Gibb
You're The One That I Want (Mono 45)
Hopelessly Devoted To You (Mono 45)
Grease (Mono 45) (No Olivia vocal)
Summer Nights (Mono 45)
Greased Lightnin Mono 45 (No Olivia vocal)
Fly Away (Mono 45)
Nana had a huge hit here in Holland with "Only love" in 1986, you may have heard it (or maybe not)

I've actually been thinking about collecting Olivia's mono 45s. I once thought it would be interesting to have a monomix by the Carpenters and then when I visited Amoeba in Hollywood, I found so many of them (well, about a handful anyway), that I took all I could get my hands on : -D

Are there any surprises in Olivia's monomixes? Maybe certain instruments or vocals that sound different?

Back
Top Bottom