Heard Carpenters

A great way and better chance to hear Karen & Richard on the radio is to rush back in time and listen to the original 1970s radioshows. Maybe many of you have been doing that as well already. I find myself enjoying those old programs a lot in these lockdown times, mostly British, Dutch and American ones. And there's loads and loads of them on Mixcloud.com

Been hoping to find a KFRC show from the late 1970s with K&R's jingle in it...no luck so far, but plenty of other stuff. Great to hear their music among their contempararies this way and get surprised by their song unexpectedly by listening from start to finish...

...like on this show from the US:
KRLA August 10, 1971 (Russ O'Hara)

Or this one from the UK:
Capital Radio Dec. 28, 1973 (Kenny Everett)

Luckily you can search for shows (don't forget to use the "tag button" as well and then keep scrolling down...and down...and down...). Who knows what you might find :)

T.J.Lubinsky interviews Richard during the pledge breaks about the R.P.O. album. He calls it a concept album, Richard agrees. Richard says it’s the finest Carpenters album ever made. It’s one of the gifts if you donate this time. Nothing else new.

T.J.Lubinsky interviews Richard during the pledge breaks about the R.P.O. album. He calls it a concept album, Richard agrees. Richard says it’s the finest Carpenters album ever made. It’s one of the gifts if you donate this time. Nothing else new.
Which version is it? The one with postman or without?

Without. 3 short interviews with Richard during the pledge breaks. I don’t think he will be doing much more in the way of vocals again. If you listen to him on the show from 2015 to now, you’ll hear the difference in his voice when he talks. Just a feeling, and sad if that’s it. Hope I’m wrong. He can still do other things like a second RPO, or eventually release buried treasures we all want to hear own and hear.

Without. 3 short interviews with Richard during the pledge breaks. I don’t think he will be doing much more in the way of vocals again. If you listen to him on the show from 2015 to now, you’ll hear the difference in his voice when he talks. Just a feeling, and sad if that’s it. Hope I’m wrong. He can still do other things like a second RPO, or eventually release buried treasures we all want to hear own and hear.
In 2015 I remember them using footage of a Richard from the 90’s. The most recent interview with Richard that I remember is the 2013 Como DVD and you could hear how dried out his vocal cords were from smoking.

Yes. That’s most likely the source. I don’t know if he still smokes, but that would definitely be a reason why his voice is rough or raspy sounding, plus his age. Maybe he gave them up by now?

This morning, 3/30/21 on the MSNBC show, Morning Joe, Joe Scarborough was excited to talk about Sirius Radio playing Casey Kasum on Saturdays, and 70’s music. He and another journalist were bantering about the way music changed, and the pop music of the era. Mostly forgettable. That’s how I feel about the 90’s. Anyway they were driving with a car load of people and he said the countdown reached #5. It was for the year 1971, and For All We Know started playing. He said they were all singing along to Karen Carpenter. A singer who had to endure the harsh critics of the day, and is now regarded as one of the greatest vocalists of all time. He said, she and Richard made some really great music together. That was exciting to hear something different from them, instead of politics and pandemic news for a few minutes. Thought I would share that here. Made my day, at 4:00 am.

This morning, 3/30/21 on the MSNBC show, Morning Joe, Joe Scarborough was excited to talk about Sirius Radio playing Casey Kasum on Saturdays, and 70’s music. He and another journalist were bantering about the way music changed, and the pop music of the era. Mostly forgettable. That’s how I feel about the 90’s. Anyway they were driving with a car load of people and he said the countdown reached #5. It was for the year 1971, and For All We Know started playing. He said they were all singing along to Karen Carpenter. A singer who had to endure the harsh critics of the day, and is now regarded as one of the greatest vocalists of all time. He said, she and Richard made some really great music together. That was exciting to hear something different from them, instead of politics and pandemic news for a few minutes. Thought I would share that here. Made my day, at 4:00 am.

I thought about the Carpenters’ “image” thing back in the day after reading some pretty harsh criticism of Amy Lee (Evanescence) in the comment section of NPR’s Facebook page (an audience who you’d think would know better). Someone pointed out that for whatever reason (*cough* misogyny) female-fronted groups are pretty bashed by the rock “establishment” as “uncool,” and that it seems the only way previously-bashed female artists gain any respect is to die, a la Amy Winehouse or Karen Carpenter. Janis Joplin didn’t gain her “legend” status until after she died, either. THEN, years later, they are finally recognized for their music by the “in crowd.”

It was a pretty depressing realization. Sure, there are exceptions, but too often, that seems to be the case. Of course they have their fans who are everyday people; this is more about the more-rock-than-thou crowd who seem to care more about “image” than the music itself.

It took Karen’s death to make them see “man, this is actually really good. I can feel her pain.”

"It took Karen’s death to make them see “man, this is actually really good. I can feel her pain.”

I wonder how many of those "important" musicians and critics who dismissed or insulted her verbally or in print realize they contributed to her pain and therefore her problems???

"It took Karen’s death to make them see “man, this is actually really good. I can feel her pain.”

I wonder how many of those "important" musicians and critics who dismissed or insulted her verbally or in print realize they contributed to her pain and therefore her problems???

i couldn’t agree more. They did God knows how much damage to an already fragile person. Some of the reviews and self-important, snide comments were downright vicious.

Not directly the Carpenters, but this track came up on my Youtube recommendations. The Avalanches are an Australian electronic band and this track is built around a speeded up sample from Hurting Each Other and has backing vocals from Mick Jones of the Clash.
I quite like it but opinions may vary!

^^Thanks for sharing this, not my thing per se', but I am always pleased to see Carpenters music sampled by newer artists, it keeps their music alive in different ways.

Came across an old meme on Instagram:

Carpenter ants are just regular ants
Except Rainy Days and Mondays get them down.

I’m watching the NBC show Zoey’s Extraordinary Playlist from 5/16/21, and the cast lead off the episode with what sounded like they were performing to Carpenters karaoke version of “Sing”. Pretty good job too.

There was a very interesting film called 'Christine' from 2016 about the journalist Chrstine Chubbuck, who took her own life on live TV, and while the film had no Carpenters music the main Character had posters of Richard and Karen in her room - which im assuming the real Christine Chubbuck must also have done. You also get a sneak of the posters around 1.25 in the trailer. It's an excellent, intelligent film, if anyone is ever in the mood.

There was a very interesting film called 'Christine' from 2016 about the journalist Chrstine Chubbuck, who took her own life on live TV, and while the film had no Carpenters music the main Character had posters of Richard and Karen in her room - which im assuming the real Christine Chubbuck must also have done. You also get a sneak of the posters around 1.25 in the trailer. It's an excellent, intelligent film, if anyone is ever in the mood.

Interesting. The time frame (1974) fits with her likely being a Carpenters fan. There's a subtle sub-text to including Carpenters posters, as well.

Back
Top Bottom