Other Female Singers

When Helen's "Emotion" was issued as a single in 1974, programmers were balking at any song that went over 3 minutes, unless you were a Paul McCartney or Elton John or someone with that kind of power in the industry. The song, as it appeared on its album, was 4:14 long. So the editors got our their grease pencils and razor blades and hacked it down to the 2:55 length.

Full stereo version here:

Adding a third verse and repeating the chorus at the end a couple of times will do that to a song - this sounds great thru my Sony headphones and the more I listen the more I remember how much I really liked her version of this song, with lyrics a cut above the ordinary, such as the second verse:

I'm running out of ways of makin' you care
As hard as I try you know it just isn't fair
For all I give, I'm only getting old
When I think I'm finally back in control

Especially that 3rd line - Thanks much for finding and posting Harry...

I greatly prefer Kiki Dee’s ‘Amoreuse’ to Helen Reddy’s ‘Emotion’. The lyrics by Gary Osbourne far greater convey the drama of Veronique Sanson’s original. They also tell a concise story, whereas the new lyrics on ‘Emotion’ have less impact. The tempo is also better on ‘Amoreuse’. ‘Emotion’ rushes through and, once again, loses the drama by being sped up. These are possibly a few reasons why Helen Reddy’s song stalled in the mid-twenties in the US and Canada, while Kiki Dee’s got close to the Top 10 in the countries where it was released.

Personally, I also prefer Kiki Dee’s vocal performance.

Because ‘Amoreuse’ was the big hit in my area and ‘Emotion’ was never played, the Helen Reddy version sounded all wrong when I finally heard it - and it still does sound wrong, to me.

Veronique Sanson was probably happy, though, that her song became a hit three times, in three different reincarnations.

I greatly prefer Kiki Dee’s ‘Amoreuse’ to Helen Reddy’s ‘Emotion’. The lyrics by Gary Osbourne far greater convey the drama of Veronique Sanson’s original. They also tell a concise story, whereas the new lyrics on ‘Emotion’ have less impact. The tempo is also better on ‘Amoreuse’. ‘Emotion’ rushes through and, once again, loses the drama by being sped up. These are possibly a few reasons why Helen Reddy’s song stalled in the mid-twenties in the US and Canada, while Kiki Dee’s got close to the Top 10 in the countries where it was released.

Personally, I also prefer Kiki Dee’s vocal performance.

Because ‘Amoreuse’ was the big hit in my area and ‘Emotion’ was never played, the Helen Reddy version sounded all wrong when I finally heard it - and it still does sound wrong, to me.

Veronique Sanson was probably happy, though, that her song became a hit three times, in three different reincarnations.
It's hard to imagine a song of this elevated quality sounding anything other than great with any serious lyrics, and we could debate the relative merits of them at length...Kiki Dee's vocal performance is very good, but I think Helen Reddy's voice is stronger and clearer and tonally more appealing (at least to me) - and she sings with the control and natural confidence of years of performing experience (she started singing with her parents at a very early age) - and yes, Sanson should indeed be very happy - and proud.

I'm not sure the lyrics of the verses here are of the highest literary quality, but the chorus is a killer both musically and lyrically - and Helen's singing is both powerful and compelling...a rare and true musical talent of the highest caliber...RIP.

A haunting tale, some masterly accompaniment, an incredible voice...

I'm not sure the lyrics of the verses here are of the highest literary quality, but the chorus is a killer both musically and lyrically - and Helen's singing is both powerful and compelling...a rare and true musical talent of the highest caliber...RIP.

I was a bit of a fan in my pre-teen years. I liked a few of her songs that I often heard on the radio. My Nana had also seen Helen Reddy on the TV and said, "She seems to be a very nice person". This cemented my enjoyment of her songs, at the time.

I remember that some of the Helen Reddy songs that I particularly liked were "Free and Easy", "Peaceful", "Keep On Singing", "I Believe in Music" and "Angie Baby". It's interesting that I knew some of these songs well just from radio, because some of these weren't her biggest hits.

I finally bought "Leave Me Alone" on single when I was ten and played it to death.

I don't think I owned another Helen Reddy record, though, until my adult years.

A familiar song and voice from my youth, (below). I’ve been listening to Ann Peebles’ “I Can’t Stand the Rain” since I was ten, when I bought the single.

Seems to be a live in-studio performance. Love it!

I must admit, I only know this one song by Danish songstress Aud Wilken, but this is such a nice "slow down"-song after a busy working day, I think.
Best to listen through headphones in order to hear the bass notes :phones:

Here's the lyrics and translation, should you want to know what it's about.

Actually, there were several other nice female performances that year in Eurovision as well, two of which were Anabel Conde for Spain...

...and Darja Svajger for Slovenia:

Actually, there were several other nice female performances that year in Eurovision as well, two of which were Anabel Conde for Spain...

...and Darja Svajger for Slovenia:

"Nice female performances" is an understatement...compelling would be a better description...really enjoyable stuff! Thanks for posting.

Liv Maessen certainly had a lower register! Her voice sounds deeper than Karen Carpenter’s, but I haven’t actually compared notes / pitches.

Here’s Liv’s version of ‘I Won’t Last a Day Without You’, from the mid 70s.

Back
Top Bottom