"The Look Of Love" Cover Versions: Vote For Your Favorite

Which version of "The Look Of Love" is your favourite?

• Claudine Longet

Votes: 2 15.4%
  • Julius Wechter & The Baja Marimba Band

Votes: 1 7.7%
  • Sergio Mendes & Brasil '66

Votes: 9 69.2%
  • Lisa Minnelli

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Chris Montez

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Pete Jolly

Votes: 1 7.7%

• Total voters

JOv2

Recently on another topic, Rudy noted that A&M issued numerous cover versions of The Look Of Love…I tallied six; and while this particular selection was the pacesetter in the cover field, I started to wonder what other selections were covered by at least three artists during the classic era (arguably 1965-70). Reviewing data from the Both Sides Now website I came away with a few offerings and thought it may be interesting to see how folks on the forum rates these. In reverence to Rudy, let’s begin the festivities with The Look Of Love.

Vote for your favourite cover version and tell us a bit about why you made your selection. With hope any unfamiliar versions will be available out there in i-land. (The choices are listed in release order.)

Last edited:
I went with Claudine.

While baby sitting A's games at a Northern California AM station in the mid'80s, I used to rummage around in the "record room" -- where I discovered many a '60s 45! This is where I discovered Claudine and her 45 of this selection. The intimate arrangement and effortless seductive vocal, for my nickel, make this the definitive version (even edging out Dusty's gorgeous reading).

I chose Brasil 66's version that version Grabbed me when I first heard it in 1983 at age 16 it was the first vocal version of the tune the other previous ones were Burt Bacharach's instrumental version which was the very first version I heard along with The Baja Marimba Band's version it is a great song in its own right

I had to go with Sergio Mendes & Brasil '66. It was easily the biggest hit version of the song and the one that I've heard more than any of the others. It's become "definitive" and a signature song for the artist.

A little side-item here: As I was listening to the choices of these recordings, I sensed something odd about the Liza Minnelli recording. My only source of this recording ("The Look Of Love") is from the Collectors' Choice comp called LIZA MINNELLI THE COMPLETE A&M RECORDINGS. The odd thing about this one track is that it's processed with that darned CSG crap, and I'm wondering how that's even possible.

The song emanates from Liza's first A&M album, SP-4141, and all of the other tracks on this compilation from that album sound fine, with regular stereo imaging. So why in the world would there even EXIST a CSG'ed master of "The Look Of Love"? It was never issued as a single that I can detect. She didn't get a GREATEST HITS album in that CSG'ed series, and her FOURSIDER doesn't include the song.

The version provided to YouTube sounds the same way:

Just a head-scratcher.

Last edited:
I had to go with Sergio Mendes and Brasil'66 but how did you miss Dusty Springfield for your choice list or were you not considering artists from other than A&M?

I don't like any of them, to be honest. Brasil '66's version is one of the worst I've ever heard--turning a sultry seductive song into disposable Top 40 fodder. 🙄 Totally misses the point.

I had to go with Sergio Mendes and Brasil'66 but how did you miss Dusty Springfield for your choice list or were you not considering artists from other than A&M?
The poll is for cover versions, and I think all the A&M covers are listed here, unless there's some totally obscure version on a long-forgotten record in the past.

Dusty's original is probably the only good, definitive version out there. I've heard others attempt it but none captured that magic. Even Dusty's own covers miss the mark, and there are a few since licensing seems to be tied up on her original version.

I think the poll is very specific to the "classic" A&M label and the period of 1962-1970. Otherwise it could have included Herb Alpert's own version from his 1999 Herb Alpert & Colors.

And then there's Burt Bacharach's own version, which could be considered a cover of the one on the soundtrack, but that's stretching it a bit since he wrote it.

Also the late Isaac Hayes did a 11:07 version. (from late 1970 "...To Be Continued") Heard that when I was 7 years old in June of 1972 when my brother had the 8 track tape!!

I don't like any of them, to be honest. Brasil '66's version is one of the worst I've ever heard--turning a sultry seductive song into disposable Top 40 fodder. 🙄 Totally misses the point.

The poll is for cover versions, and I think all the A&M covers are listed here, unless there's some totally obscure version on a long-forgotten record in the past.

Dusty's original is probably the only good, definitive version out there. I've heard others attempt it but none captured that magic. Even Dusty's own covers miss the mark, and there are a few since licensing seems to be tied up on her original version.
To be honest, I never heard the Brasil'66 version on the radio back in 1968. Was it released as a single before or after the Oscar show? The first time that I heard it was on an 8 track tape, riding in a car in November of 1969. I did not see the Oscars in 68 and I never heard Dusty's version on the radio either back in 68.

The reason the focus is limited to 1965-70 was simply that, by 1970, cover version LPs as a long-term vehicle to sustain sales was no longer recognized as effective. One of the many notable changes in the music industry, circa 1967-72, was the overall reduction in released cover versions. There are a few contributing factors, but one of the most obvious was simply that the industry was now clearly catering to the under-30 demographic -- who were now emerging as the LP-buying pacesetters -- and their seemingly collective preference for original material. Additionally, by the early '70s, new artists of any age who simply interpreted "hits of the day" were culturally stigmatized or marginalized as irreverent to some degree and many top-40 stations would simply opt to not program such music. (This was the case in the US; in Europe, Asia and South America, however, this was apparently not the case.)

Brasil '66's version is one of the worst I've ever heard--turning a sultry seductive song into disposable Top 40 fodder. 🙄 Totally misses the point
I've previously shopped my similar opinion around the Forum on this one as well. While I do like the music and feel of the arrangment -- it's simply the wrong arrangement for the song. Grusin's arrangement disregards the emotional state of the lyrics (rendering the song unlistenable).

A little side-item here: As I was listening to the choices of these recordings, I sensed something odd about the Liza Minnelli recording. My only source of this recording ("The Look Of Love") is from the Collectors' Choice comp called LIZA MINNELLI THE COMPLETE A&M RECORDINGS. The odd thing about this one track is that it's processed with that darned CSG crap, and I'm wondering how that's even possible.
That is strange, indeed. One now wonders if there was a CSG directive issued to Howie Holzer and the boys to stockpile CSG'd versions... I could not locate any info on the YouTube source...

The version I prefer, which is not included in this poll, is by Susannah Hoffs, and I am not now, nor have I ever, been a Bangles fan.

I love the Brasil 66 version, which has a degree of suspense to it which builds to the its exciting conclusion. And for me the strings and horns add to that drama. Put aside the Grusin arrangement for a moment--what makes the song for me is the seductive vocal of Janis Hansen. I have never heard a breathier and more seductive pop vocal in my life. Yes for me even better than Dusty's version. The Brasil 66 recording--what greater way to celebrate the musical legacy of the late great Janis Hansen.

Here is a 2007 cover that caught my fancy at that time. I still enjoy it. (About four years ago, I was playing it and my 10-year-old daughter came in and asked who the singer was...so I guess it struck a chord with her.)

Back
Top Bottom