Carpenters rare video clips

Hi all!

Not super rare, but yesterday I got the Andy Williams Show box set in the mail 😍

Posted “For All We Know” on YouTube in case you’re interested in seeing:

Carpenters – For All We Know

For those of you who prefer the 1990 remix:

Carpenters – For All We Know (1990 remix)

These are wonderful, @Cuyler! Thank you! Any chance of you posting their duet with Andy?
So here's the devastating news! The DVD fades in from black with Andy Williams saying "the fabulous Carpenters!" and Karen is singing "I'll never fall in love again..." and Richard is singing, "I think I'm gonna be sad..."

Here's the untouched MP4 rip straight from the official Andy Williams Show box set DVD, disc 8:

(WeTransfer will delete the file, but you can PM me if you'd like the MP4 in case the link has expired.)

I'm so sad... the opening credits for this episode show Karen and Richard on that same set with a brown/orange (like a burnt orange) backdrop... I think they're singing "We've Only Just Begun." But that clip isn't on this DVD either. Would love to see that one day too...

(I'll try to take a better frame grab tonight.)

Wasn't this video included as an extra on the DVD of CLOSE TO YOU: REMEMBERING THE CARPENTERS updated version on the Public TV broadcast as a gift for supporting Public TV? That was the same show that they offered THE COMPLETE SINGLES CD and threw in a CHRISTMAS PORTRAIT CD.

Wasn't this video included as an extra on the DVD of CLOSE TO YOU: REMEMBERING THE CARPENTERS updated version on the Public TV broadcast as a gift for supporting Public TV? That was the same show that they offered THE COMPLETE SINGLES CD and threw in a CHRISTMAS PORTRAIT CD.
Hi Harry,

Yes and no. Yes in the sense that the releases are the same performance. (I have that TJL edition of "Close to You" from my local PBS station.) Sticklers for attention to my detail (like myself) would notice that the version that was on the "Close to You" DVD had a slightly degraded quality. (That was actually the first version I uploaded to my YouTube channel but deleted it, because it just didn't hold up to the one from the Andy Williams Show box set.) Some minor differences: the Andy Williams Show version (above) has some of that natural black border on the left and right (which I think is standard with 2" videotape transfers) -- the one on "Close to You" did not (after cropping from widescreen to 4:3). I noticed that the PBS "Close to You" DVD version also looked a little blockier/more pixelated.

I can send a WeTransfer link of the "Close to You" rip to anyone who's interested in comparing. :)

Sticklers for attention to my detail (like myself) would notice that the version that was on the "Close to You" DVD had a slightly degraded quality.

OK. I guess when it comes to Carpenters videos, I'm content with pretty much anything. To me, Carpenters were a recording act, and it's all about the sound. Videos, particularly those that were miming to the records, aren't of essential interest to me.

Hi Harry,

Yes and no. Yes in the sense that the releases are the same performance. (I have that TJL edition of "Close to You" from my local PBS station.) Sticklers for attention to my detail (like myself) would notice that the version that was on the "Close to You" DVD had a slightly degraded quality. (That was actually the first version I uploaded to my YouTube channel but deleted it, because it just didn't hold up to the one from the Andy Williams Show box set.) Some minor differences: the Andy Williams Show version (above) has some of that natural black border on the left and right (which I think is standard with 2" videotape transfers) -- the one on "Close to You" did not (after cropping from widescreen to 4:3). I noticed that the PBS "Close to You" DVD version also looked a little blockier/more pixelated.

I can send a WeTransfer link of the "Close to You" rip to anyone who's interested in comparing. :)
Those black lines are from analog copying, and were outside the 4:3 safe zone and were hidden on most old TV’s. I think “Fow All We Know” was also on the YOM video. That would’ve been edited in analog.

Those black lines are from analog copying, and were outside the 4:3 safe zone and were hidden on most old TV’s. I think “Fow All We Know” was also on the YOM video. That would’ve been edited in analog.
Oh, I didn't see "For All We Know", at least not on the YOM DVD from Japan that I have.

I know. Many fans do. It's just me.
For me, my favorite videos of Richard and Karen play with color. That's probably the first thing I noticed when I saw the "Close to You" documentary in 2003 (and was introduced to the Carpenters in my childhood). I noticed--wow, these colors are phenomenal! (Whether we're talking about the orange in the Bob Hope Show performance of "We've Only Just Begun," or the yellow in "(They Long to Be) Close to You" from the Don Knotts Show...) In this case, the blues and pink/purples really do it for me with this set. I just thought that 1) Richard and Karen were really talented at lipsyncing (which people are critical of, but imho the vast majority of official promo music videos--from "Paperback Writer" to today's videos--are lipsynced), and 2) the colors that either Richard and Karen or the producers chose for their TV performances are generally really great.

The one big difference between the Carpenters' performances and modern performances is that the televised videos were all multi-camera set-up, so you can tell that, for close to 100% of the Carpenters' TV performances, they lipsynced the whole way through, from the first note to the last note (or fade-out). To me, that requires some talent and I give them tons of respect for it. (Especially the MYOKOM performances!)

Thanks for the info, by the way! I love seeing those black lines on old 2" tape transfers. :)

Thanks for the info, by the way! I love seeing those black lines on old 2" tape transfers. :)
Those black lines aren’t solely from 2-inch tape. They could’ve come from copying to another format like U-Matic or Betacam. All videotapes can record in 1.37:1, but when copying there was usually signal loss that shrunk the image area to1.33:1.

Does anyone know where to find the Carpenters' full appearance on the debut episode of the Don Knotts Show?

About to prepare a really cute, funny video from the Andy Williams Show. I never saw it before tonight. I wonder if you all have seen it before. :)

Will post here when YouTube is done processing :)

Back
Top Bottom