TJB Record Store Window Display

Cool, but needs a green background!

[edit: actually, it DOES have a green shower curtain hanging back there. I used Photoshop to desaturate the distracting reflection material and then enhanced the color a little bit.]

RecordStoreWindow.jpg

Last edited:
Cool, but needs a green background!

[edit: actually, it DOES have a green shower curtain hanging back there. I used Photoshop to desaturate the distracting reflection material and then enhanced the color a little bit.]

RecordStoreWindow.jpg
Thanks, Harry! There was no angle ar which there wasn’t a reflection. I went with the least awful one I could get.

I have polarizers for the DSLR, but I did this in a pinch a few years ago--I took a photo through the lens of my polarized sunglasses. 😁

IMG_20180707_132736-01.jpeg

Can't do that with prescription polarized sunglasses!

That's cool! More surprising to me than the TJB display is that there's a RECORD STORE there in the first place! I thought that they had gone out of business years ago, and I ought to know: I used to work in one in the early 90s!!! Anyway, good to see that there's some of 'em still around, and while BEYOND is not a TJB album, it's still good to see it with the rest of Herb's works.

That's cool! More surprising to me than the TJB display is that there's a RECORD STORE there in the first place! I thought that they had gone out of business years ago, and I ought to know: I used to work in one in the early 90s!!! Anyway, good to see that there's some of 'em still around, and while BEYOND is not a TJB album, it's still good to see it with the rest of Herb's works.
If anything, record stores have flourished. Many have gone out of business but smaller stores have opened to replace them. With vinyl being so popular these days, some of the stores near me won't even buy CD for stock anymore--they just don't sell!

That's correct. In Berkeley, big stores like Leopold's and Tower closed years ago while Amoeba and Rasputin's reduced their holdings considerably and moved into other retail trade areas; however, as Rudy noted, in Berkeley there's also been a rise in smaller "ma 'n pa" type stores in the past 10 years.

I'll just add to Rudy and JOv2's comments by saying that the successful "record stores" of today are broadly based, usually selling both new and used LPs, CDs (and in some cases cassettes), as well as new and used DVDs, Blu-Ray (and in some cases VHS tapes---this particular store in Santa Cruz mentions Laserdiscs on its sign) and very frequently books, posters and (where legal) paraphernalia.

Amoeba has just opened its new location in Hollywood, the one in Berkeley continues to plug along, but this most recent lifting of restrictions has apparently been a big boost for the San Francisco location on Haight Street:

We have a newer store within walking distance and they do sell video as well as CDs and LPs. But some of the others who have been established for a while carry mainly vinyl, a few having turned focus away from CDs since it's dead inventory. One of my favorites, Encore Records, did have quite a large selection of CDs, but tended to avoid the common titles if they could, so their selection was really wide. (So no, it wasn't the store where you'd find a dozen used copies of The Jacksons' Victory a month after it was released. 😁)

Back
Top Bottom