Which Recording Artist do you Have the Most Albums of in Your Collection?

JOv2

Tell us who the artist is, the tally (optional, of course), and how it all came to be.

I actually thought this was going to be easier…

Eyeballing it, I have far and away more recordings with the name Beethoven than any other "artist".

Stepping away from composers, I figured Miles or Trane would take the honors; however, and to my surprise, the winner was Nancy Wilson with 25 total LPs and CDs (no dups, no comps).

R-3014217-1552685816-5753-jpeg.jpg

Nancy Wilson was a later-in-life discovery for me. Although, like most pop '60s singers, she was over-recorded, she truly never issued a marginal LP. All things considered, to my ears, she is the finest female vocalist — that’s why I have all those (1959-1971) recordings!

My late dad Charles liked Herb Alpert & The Tijuana Brass as well as the late Jim Croce, the late Lee Hazlewood & the late guitarist Chet Atkins. Those were his favorites!!

So is the rule "no duplicates and no comps"? That would make the results skew toward artists who simply had a lot of LPs as opposed to those with only a select few.

For example, I believe Herb Alpert released somewhere around 40-ish albums. An album like NOCHE DE AMOR might or might not be counted as either a dupe or a comp as it only has two different tracks from BLOW YOUR OWN HORN. And does "Tijuana Brass" count separately from just "Herb Alpert"? Does "Herb Alpert and Lani Hall" count differently?

Suppose I were the world's biggest fan of ABBA? (I'm not.) They only released 8 albums.

Would LPs and CDs count separately? I have several artists where I've collected all of their LPs and bought them all again on CD.

How to count The Beatles when you have both UK and US configurations, LPs, CDs, remixes, some of which are very different?

Counting roughly all official discs of Carpenters music, I get somewhere over 200 discs. It's roughly the same with all purchased Herb Alpert discs. Without counting, Sergio would be a few less.

So is the rule "no duplicates and no comps"? That would make the results skew toward artists who simply had a lot of LPs as opposed to those with only a select few.
It depends on how many of the recordings we own from that artist. I might own one of a recording by an artist who has recorded dozens. With Tito Puente, I own about 20 of his albums; he recorded close to 110. And that doesn't even count 78 RPM records prior to the LP era.

1622121728322.png

In my collection, it's probably Henry Mancini or Cal Tjader, with the former likely edging him out by a small amount. Both recorded several dozen albums. I have a nearly complete collection of Tjader's--just a couple of items like the Savoy 10" LP I haven't gotten ahold of. Mancini's colleciton is not quite complete as I keep coming across obscure titles every so often. I have many LPs and all the CDs in storage, so I don't have a way to get an exact count.

My Roon Player shows 40 Tjader titles on the server, not counting compilations--some of the Fantasy CDs were 2-on-1 combinations, plus there are some that never had a digital release. Mancini shows about 55 titles, not counting compilations; a few are 2-on-1 SACDs, and there are a couple dozen LPs in addition.

The only compilation I own are ones I purchased early on, before an artist's albums were reissued on CD. Either that or it's an artist where a hits package is all I need. In the case of Cal Tjader, I had to get some of Verve's poorly-conceived compilations in order to get a few album tracks for the albums they never reissued digitally.

An artist like Frank Sinatra has tons of albums out there and a serious fan would want them all, I'd imagine. I'm only a casual fan at best by I, through the radio station, have managed to collect over 25 Sinatra albums.

So is the rule "no duplicates and no comps"?
Apologies for any confusion. I really meant to keep it simple -- so the only rule was that the release must be an "album" -- any and all formats.

I did this purely to excluded singles from the tally. I didn't consider 78s; I believe, however, 78s were issued as both "singles" and as "albums" (i.e., 78s configured and sold as a "book of records"). I also didn't consider EPs (10"); for my nickel, those seem to align more accurately with albums than singles.

(I wrote "no comps -- no dupes" as specifically pertaining to my tally of the Nancy albums.)

With dupes allowed, then both Herb Alpert and Carpenters would head my collection, maybe even Beatles too. All of those artists I started collecting in the LP days, graduated to CDs and have multiple iterations of each title.

I realized I have a Sinatra collection, sort of. My mom's aunt gave my dad all the Sinatra LPs--she'd bought just about all of them back in the day, but didn't get many past the early to mid 70s. Thing is, the older mono LPs are worn out, so I can't even play them. And I have zero interest in the Columbia era recordings. Whatever I have digitally or on a couple of LPs is fine by me. The rest of those are on my "outgoing" pile I'll get rid of when I get around to that part of the storage boxes. (We're purging a lot of our stuff as we're looking to relocate in a few years.) I might either give all of them to the little used record shop on the corner, or just chuck 'em in the trash if they don't want them. They're in too poor of a condition to sell. And there was a handful that got water damage when the pump on the AC quit--those are already quarantined due to mildew.

Even with compilations and reissues, Tjader and Mancini still top the list. And since I buy some albums now as downloads, I include those in my count even though they're a collection of FLAC files. I got Tjader's album The Prophet from Qobuz last week, only $8.99. Beats trying to find the import CD that's long been out of print. I do have many others that I have extensive collections of--that might be good for a separate thread one day.

Well since I own several hundreds of CDs and a growing number of Digital Downloads I would say there are several artists that predominate Herb Alpert's complete Official Discography and the Beatles U.S and U,K albums lead the pack along with some complete Discographies of BMB and several others and many Various Artist Compilations like unlike Rudy sadly I own most of Tjaders Fantasy and Skye recordings only one verve and I have my favorite Mancini Albums on CD this is just a few small examples but I have a lot of early Smooth Jazz CDs ( Late 70s to Mid 90s) the Late 70s was mostly called contemporary jazz fusion but it was the forerunner for the smooth jazz genre but as I mentioned before I have a pretty Eclectic Variety of stuff I started collecting music when I was 11 and my goodness what an adventure it has been so far

Hands down Herb for me, with BMB, Phil Ochs and Carpenters pretty much tied for a close second... (Interestingly Ochs has had more releases after his death than during his life, by about 2 or 3 to one)

--Mr Bill

For my collection, the top number would be by Judy Collins.
I have nearly every lp that she has released and some on cd that I do not have on lp or cassette.

On Judy Collins 1979 album "Hard Times For Lovers", she bares the back of her body!! Her version of Melissa Manchester's "Through The Eyes Of Love" is not bad.

I would like to get Johnny Rivers "Slim Slo Slider" (1970), "Home Grown" (1971), "L.A. Reggae" (1972), "Blue Suede Shoes" (1973) & "Wild Night" (1976) on Apple iTunes download but that's completes my collection of stuff that I wanted!!!

I agree with Rudy as I have many Tjader and Mancini lps. I would add lps by Sinatra, Wes Montgomery, Stan Getz, Miles Davis & Bill Evans. Regarding Tjader......... I think "Soul Bird-Whiffenpoof" is good and "Several Shades Of Jade" is just outstanding. However Tjader's other Asian flavored lp "Breeze From The East" is one of his worst.

Hands down Herb for me, with BMB, Phil Ochs and Carpenters pretty much tied for a close second... (Interestingly Ochs has had more releases after his death than during his life, by about 2 or 3 to one)

--Mr Bill
Regarding Phil Ochs, there is an online magazine called "The Wire." It has Och's "Pleasures Of The Harbor"in its list of "100 Albums That Set The World On Fire When No One Was Listening."

Miles Davis wins, with 22 altogether, including 15 albums under Miles Davis, 5 under Miles Davis Quintet, 1 under Miles Davis +19, and one under Miles Davis, Stan Getz, Lee Konitz ad Gerry Muligan.

Tied for 2nd place are Herb Alpert and Boz Scaggs at 17 each. Herb has 7 under his name, 9 with the Tijuana Brass, and 1 with Lani Hall. I'll probably buy Volume 2 of The Tijuana Brass though - It's the only one of their first 10 albums I don't have - so that will move Herb up to 18. OTOH all 17 of Boz' are under his name only, so maybe he technically wins the whole pot.

Honorable mention to:
The Beatles - 16
Duke Ellington - 15
Herbie Hancock - 14
John Coltrane and Lou Rawls - 13 each

Since I'm new here, I must ask - is there a way to edit your post after you've posted it? There are some misspellings in my post above and they're driving me crazy - lol.

Since I'm new here, I must ask - is there a way to edit your post after you've posted it? There are some misspellings in my post above and they're driving me crazy - lol.
John,
Once you post, you have a short window to change your spellings as the bottom of the post will have a line with edit, delete that you have to watch for.
I have used it a number of times but if you wait too long they errors are there for good.
Bill

Back
Top Bottom